Let's See Those Driftboat Kickers.

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Wet Wade, Apr 13, 2009.

1. AndyW

AndyW New Member

Thanks for the report Wade.

I just purchased 5hp Honda long shaft. Looked at a few used ones and opted for new.
    This motor has a very narrow mount, so I should be able to mount it by just re-mounting the anchor bracket to one side. It is going on a Clack 16lp, using it to hunt for pike in the lakes.

2. Wet Wade

Wet Wade New Member

Media:
    That’s a sweet motor, it’ll work great on your boat.

I have a 16 LP as well. You should call Clacka and order the pulley and anchor arm spacer from them, it's only $30. The pulley is angled to kick the rope to the off-set anchor arm and the spacer goes between the anchor arm and transom to angle it a little more allowing more room for the motor and a better angle for the rope. I should have mine sometime this week, I'll post pics.

3. AndyW

AndyW New Member

Is this item picture on their website?

That would be great if you post a picture once you get it. I was going to jerry-rig something myself, but this may be the ticket.

4. Wet Wade

Wet Wade New Member

Media:
    No, it's not on their web site and they don't have any pics of it, I asked. Mine should be shipped tomorrow, which means I'll probably get it on Thursday so I'll get pics up Friday-ish.

5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I have an old copy of STS lying around somewhere that has an article about how to rig up your driftboat with a 24 volt system electric motor. Basically, they mounted the two 12 volt batteries up in the bow, hooked up "in series."
    The 24 volt system is supposed to be more efficient, as well as more powerful, than a 12 volt system.
    If anyone is serious about installing an electric motor on their driftboat and would like to read the article but can't find it, I will send them the old mag, in exchange for a fly or two.

6. Wet Wade

Wet Wade New Member

Media:
    I just got my Cabelas Bargain Cave mailer yesterday, they have reconditioned 50 LB thrust Minn Kota's for something like $229. Sounds like a decent enough deal if anyone is looking for an electric kicker.

7. Wet Wade

Wet Wade New Member

Media:
    Got the off-set pulley and anchor arm spacer from Clacka last week. It came with 2 1/2" bolts, they are just not quite long enough so I'll replace them later this week with 3" bolts. Also, once my boat dries out I'll cover the old holes with Duct tape untill I decide how to, or if I want to, fill these holes. The thicker part of the transom is wood sandwiched by fiberglass, I definitally do not want this wood rotting on me.

Here's some before and after pics.

Before -

[​IMG]

After -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plenty of room to turn the motor w/o hitting anything -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Off-set pulley -

[​IMG]

Angled spacer -