Lets see you Puget Sound beach flies....

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Thomas Williams, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Been making and fishing Clousers for 25 years. Just lost interest in them, that's all.
    Jack

Nick Clayton and Tacoma Red like this.
  2. plecoptera419

plecoptera419 Member

It would be nice to actually see the weighted sand lance pattern but the attachment no worky.

3. Jack Devlin

Sorry, I tried to move the photo around and lost it. I will try again.
    Jack

4. Jack Devlin

5. Jack Devlin

Nicely done Clousers. You are obviously a production tyer and a good one at that. Try as I might, I rarely tie the "same" fly twice. I just keep changing things around.
    Jack

6. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I think this "Cutt Bait" by Jack Devlin is one of the most creative flies I've seen.

Leland. Cutt Bait.JPG

plaegreid, McNasty, Brendan and 7 others like this.
  7. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

This one has worked very well for me. Crazy action. Also tied with a tungsten bead inside the epoxy head for a clouser-like jigging effect but I prefer the no bead option.

[​IMG]

FinLuver and Jack Devlin like this.
  8. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Jack Delvin ties some of the best flies on the forum, hands down. That cut bait is awesome, and funny. Much like his candlefish. :)

Sawyer likes this.
  9. plecoptera419

plecoptera419 Member

Most excellent! I have been tying my sandlance patterns unweighted. I dont know why the thought never occurred too me. Thanks.

10. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

does it spin? very nice

Chris Johnson likes this.
  11. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I LOVE that cut plug fly. Id love to see what it looks like in the water

12. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Yes I like the cut-plug too! What size hook Jack, 3/0?

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  13. Jack Devlin

That is for Cutthroat. Hook is SS15 #4 #6. I've used it when I see cutts tearing up schools of baitfish - tie it on and toss it in and jiggle it a bit.
    The one that Leland posted he photographed on a truck bumper. It is a bit chewed up. Fun fly. I need to up a few more.
    Not meant to imitate a cut-plug herring. Rather, it is a baitfish that a cutt attacked.
    Jack

14. Nick Clayton

Sure looks like it could be just the ticket when the silvers are ignoring flies but going crazy on the cutt plug Herring. What sort of action does it have in the water?

15. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

True genius nonetheless.

16. Nick Clayton

Jack, what did you use to give the body that bulk and shape? What is the orangish/reddish material at the front?

Im really fascinated by this fly. Super creative tie!

17. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

looks like dubbing

18. Nick Clayton

I have a strong feeling that if some low down desperate scum bag was to soak that thing in smelly jelly the coho at my favorite beach would jump onto the rocks to eat it.

Alexander likes this.
  19. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Hahah, was thinking the same thing! :D

20. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

yes i am a production tier. and thanks for the reply. i average about 15-20 thousand flies a year. but will loose about 5 thousand of that next year. no more alaska tying lol. i sell flies to Puget Sound Fly CO., Patricks Fly Shop, Confluence Fly Shop, and Ross Lake Resort. the clouser are went to Confluence.

and here is my production sandlance and favorite one. then name is.... Thee Silky Sandlance
    Thomas's Silky Sandlance BaitFish Gray.JPG

TD likes this.