Let's see your fleet

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by johnnyrockfish, Mar 12, 2009.

1. I've always tried to buy used boats and repower with a new outboard. You need to count on that reliability and know the powerhead hasn't been scorched. Glad/sad to hear about the employment good/bad news. LOL.

JR

2. Currently down to:

Wilderness Express ESP kickboat
    Dave Scadden Madison River toon
    Super Fat Cat
    Avon inflatable dinghy
    17' Appleby aluminum canoe

3. I've got a float tube and occationally a maypop from walmart

4. LOL,

a maypop! I've got one of those too. I got mine at K-Mapart.

JR

5. Rtodd - very pretty

bucks float tube
    super fat cat
    Rays River Dory - Perfect Mac
    Santana 2023
    Sea Ray SD240

Attached Files:

6. David-very nice! I don't see many of those Perfect Macs around! Do you run a motor on it sometimes? Good looking boat. Rick

7. Yes, I do. I first bought a Minnkota Riptide, the strongest 12 volt they make. Had a grandiose plan that it would push the boat pretty good. Try a fast walk. :beathead: It works great for trolling lakes but that's about it. Nice and quiet tho.
    When we bought the sailboat it came with a long shaft Honda 8 hp. Bonus, just about perfect for the Mac. Still not a speed boat but it works fairly well. It's still a flat bottom boat though so it has limitations as to steering and weather. I'd like to put a doel fin on it, and/or one of "Macs" prop guard options for getting back to the river put-in.

8. Here's a couple that get quite a bit of use.

Attached Files:

9. You Grady owners - you, SummitFlyGuy, and PT (Davy) - are my new best friends! :)

Gosh those are beautiful boats.

10. 9' Water Skeeter Snohomish Pontoon
    [​IMG]

8' Columbia Fiberglass boat (restored by my brother Curtis and I)
    [​IMG]

1987 Glastron SSV 197
    [​IMG]

And a Float Tube.

11. Jason, why no shot of the beer in the man fridge?

12. Took mine out last Sunday afternoon to get a quick sun-fix and do a shake down cruise after several months in the garage. Drove to the launch and backed it down the ramp, perfectly centered on the ramp on the first try. Lots of people down at the beach enjoying the sunny day. I unhooked the bow of the boat from the winch and pushed hard - wouldn't come off the trailer. Figured the rollers were froze up a bit from the lack of use. So I backed down a bit deeper on the ramp and tried again. Still wouldn't budge. By this time I had quite a few people noticing my predicament. This time I tried backing it down again and hitting the brakes to drop it off the trailer with a little help from the truck - that always works to free up the rollers and get the boat off, right? Still wouldn't budge, it was like it was glued to the trailer. Now some young guy starts walking over to help, which I hate because I'm not stupid and I already know how to launch a boat and just want to deal with this little problem by myself as I'm getting slightly pissed off about it all, thank you very much. So the guy comes over to me and says "Hey dude your tie-downs are still on the back of the boat".

Removed the tie-downs and the boat rolled off the trailer just like it was brand new. Moral of the story: Never do your first launch of the year in front of a crowd.

13. One should always assume that there is beer in the beer fridge, otherwise I would be wasting electricity.

14. You had me rollin' Milt... thanks for sharing. :rofl:

move to fishing jokes thread

15. Seems like I'm always in front of a crowd when bad things happen -

Launched the old wooden Listerbuilt inboard I have the picure of earlier in this thread at the same launch around 20 years ago. I was going to run a few miles over to Point Defiance to fish for salmon. I had a kicker on the back in case I had motor problems with the old air-cooled inboard which had been acting up. Really pretty old wood boat, lots of people always asking about it, and as I pulled away from shore I saw there was a nice couple on the beach waving me in to come over to see the boat. So I turned around and pulled up to them broadside, really close to shore so they could take a good look at the boat. I shut the inboard down and glided silently in front of them in a perfect drive-by ready to show them the boat as I had been asked to do many times before. Dude says "Hey, nice boat but you just dropped your motor off the back!". And I looked around and saw there was no kicker motor where the was one hanging a minute or so ago. Found that motor a couple years later while scuba diving in around 40 ft of water, rubbing salt in a wound that had almost healed.

Sorry to hijack - I should probably start a thread on boat disasters.

16. Milt Roe, do you eat a lot of bananas? Just wondering. I put nothing in that myth, but your boating tales leave me wondering.

17. Hijack away. Keep the stories comin' man... :rofl: Sorry. I'm horrible.

18. Mattzoid and I were launching at Sultan o-dark-thirty a few weeks back and while I'm waiting for Matt to get all his gear another guy is launching his boat. Mine is already in the water. His buddy doesn't have waders on yet, so I go over to help. The dude backs the trailer in just fine, releases the bow line, he gets on one side and me the other. We make a couple of trys to get the boat off the trailer with no movement. So I start looking around, only to find the tie down rope in still strapped over the boat. While he unties than I look to see if ther are more ropes over the top, and sure enough there is another one. We get both of these undone, make a coupld of more tugs, with still no movement. I'm now thinking this boat must have a bout 200 gallon of water in it. I'm not a small guy and getting a boat off a triler is usually not that tough. I turn to get my flashlight out of the drybag, and he suddenly remembers the C-clamps he uses at the chine to also secure the boat. (4) clamps later, the boat sides off nice. A hurricane was not gonna move that boat off the trailer.

19. This happened to a fellow guide when I was guiding in AK.

We were running 40 hp outboards on the river, 18 ft inflatables. Person running the boat would stand in the back while underway, steering with the tiller. So one day this other guide who I won't name had his two clients sitting on the bench seat of the boat in front of him, running full throttle up river heading back to camp after a long day. Wonderful day, beautiful scenery, lots of fish being caught, life couldn't be better. Now as it turns out there was a large forked willow branch hanging down just below the surface of the water, and this guy is heading right for it. Before he knows what happened, the lower unit of the outboard wedged perfectly into the "V" of the limb, which bent to soften the blow but didn't break, which brought the boat to an unexpected abrupt stop and then whipped the boat downstream as the limb sprung back into its original position. As this is all happening the guide goes flying over his two clients and then bounces over the bow of the boat and into the river (Those inflatables are very forgiving when you fall in the boat, thanfully you typically just bounce off of the tubes without any serious injury). After spitting some water and coming to his senses, he swims back to the boat and gets back aboard with the help of his two clients. They are now drifting downstream in the river as they put the gear back where it belongs and prepare to get underway again. The soaking wet guide now notices that they heading for a bend in the river with some serious overhanging sweeper trees. So the he asks the other two to throw the anchor off the bow, and goes back to start the motor so they can run clear of the sweeper trees. Anchor has around 30 ft of rope on it. So as he goes back and pulls the starting cord on the motor, the slack in the anchor line on the bow tightens up and the anchor grabs firmly to the riverbed - again bringing the boat to an unexpected and abrupt stop. This time the guide goes flying over the transom and back into the river, all within a minute of doing it the first time. He was able to swim to shore and get back to the boat returning to camp safely, but he had a hard time finding clients willing to fish with him for a while.