Lets talk about duck hunting

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Top in my class, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Jonathan Walkenberg

Jonathan Walkenberg Member

I had a very poor season. Wasnt able to get out much but when i did the birds didnt cooperate.

Thats an amazing number of bands for a year. I have been hunting a long time with only one duck band to show for it.

2. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Media:
    sweet, how many decoys do you usually have out for geese?

3. woods

woods Member

I enjoyed my season but did not harvest as many birds as I have in years past. I had fewer outting this year, partly due to the fact that I went on vacation to Mexico in late December...right in the heart of waterfowl season

4. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    I run anywhere from 5 to 36 or so. Depends on the species, location and target.

5. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Media:
    wow i thought you were going to say alot more then that.

Do you hunt nisqually at all or the columbia river?

6. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    I hunt along the Columbia quite a bit in eastern WA. Have never done the Nisqually.

7. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Media:
    how do you do on the eastern coumbia river?

8. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    Always depends on the conditions and migration but when I hunt the big river, I usually do well.

9. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Media:
    nice,
    we have always done really well hunting the river also usually pulling at least a limit out of there.
    except this just year every duck was very hard to decoy.

Did have a few canvasbacks fly on the outside of our gun range. i would love to get a can, very pretty birds.

10. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    We shot a couple on the last weekend of the season. I dont target divers much but seem to get a nice bull every year.

11. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Media:
    thats awesome, where were you usually getting the cans at?

12. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    there just always seems to be one that shows up somewhere. There is a pretty good group of birds that use the columbia

13. Han Double

Han Double Member

HARVEST is an antiquated term that somehow barely managed to stay alive after it was feebly employed in the 90's back when hunters felt the need to apologize for enjoying their sport. hunters are no longer need to be apologetic for their deeds as long as everything was done respectfully
    we barely fooled anyone with "harvest" or "manage" "or "process" which means Kill, kill lots of, and gut.

if you purposefully ended somethings life you killed it. you harvest corn, pick berries, catch (and sometimes release) fish, and you kill ducks. although sometimes when bird hunting you may substitute shot for killed, but thats like when they edit out the "F word" out on Tv, essentially making the listener say it themselves in their own head when trying to figure out what belonged in that BLEEP or ----- which makes the word that the censors were trying to avoid that much more noticeable.

"I harvested a duck" he said
    "well how did you harvest it" they reply
    "well I shot it" he said
    "oh and then what?" they asked
    "well since I was sky busting I crippled it with steel shot and I had to run after it shooting it three more times in the process, and then I finally wrung its neck with my bare hands because steel shot sucks" he answered

much better to say you killed the ducks, no one cares, they all know what your talking about if you dress it up anyway.

I straight up killed the snot out the birds this year(edit "the snot out of" for good taste please), I also had to work my tail off for every one of them. I didn't quite break 100 on ducks (87) and ended up with 15 honkers and around 25 snows, with one old bird that was banded in 03.
    over all it was a great season, I started out with a wet behind the ears 9 month old lab pup that ended up a seasoned pro by the end of her first season. most of my birds were pass shot or jump shot as I chased the tides. this year I hope to do better and work less with addition of a boat to my arsenal.

14. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Media:
    also had to work my tail off for every one of them. I didn't quite break 100 on ducks (87) and ended up with 15 honkers and around 25 snows, with one old bird that was banded in 03.
    over all it was a great season, I started out with a wet behind the ears 9 month old lab pup that ended up a seasoned pro by the end of her first season. most of my birds were pass shot or jump shot as I chased the tides. this year I hope to do better and work less with addition of a boat to my arsenal.[/QUOTE]

nice job on 25 snow geese!
    where were you when you were chasing the tides?

15. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Media:
    yeah thats were we see them all is on the columbia, havent found a good spot that is holding quiet a few of them when we are hunting though

16. Jonathan Walkenberg

Jonathan Walkenberg Member

There are always a bunch at the mouth of the Deschutes but I am not sure if you can hunt there.