Let's talk Coolers

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by obiwankanobi, Jul 10, 2012.

1. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    I recently purchased a Coleman 5 day cooler for $45.00 that was in my price range at the time but as I'm finding out should be labeled a 1 day cooler when the ambient air temps are 90+. I have guide friends that swear that the Yeti coolers are the best coolers ever and can hold ice for a week or more during the summer months. Since I plan on being in some remote areas soon for extended stays, I need to count on ice lasting longer than one day.

Any advice? Any coolers that are much less than $300.00 that work just as effectively? Anyone own Yeti coolers that would not rate them as the best cooler on the market?

Thanks in advance.

2. Spencer Woods

Spencer Woods Member

Media:
    I just got the YETI Tundra 65 as a gift a couple weeks ago. I've used it twice. Once was during the 4th where people were in and out of it all day for cold beer. The ice did last the entire day NO problem. I was actually impressed.

The second time was on a road trip where the YETI stayed closed the majority of the time. The ice wasnt phased after 48 hours........... could of easily gone another 48..............likely longer.

They are $339 I think. Sportco in Fife or Outdoor Emp. in Seattle sell them for $299.

I would vote them as a quality product! Plus they look and feel good.

Good luck!

3. Cedar

Cedar Active Member

Second for the Yeti....filled w/dry ice

4. mtgreenheads

mtgreenheads Member

I love my yeti coolers. Best part for me is the durability factor. Ive put many big hunks of plastic in the dump, and don't anticipate these heading there anytime soon.

5. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    Bill Aubrey and JesseCFowl like this.
  6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Good info Constructeur. I'm going on an 8 day float trip next month and want to use some fresh-frozen foods so I don't have to live on freeze dried meals the whole trip.

Sg

7. Casey Hodges

Casey Hodges Member

Also recommend the Yeti's. I can speak for the 20 qt and the 65 qt models, and they both hold ice really well. Anything bigger than the 65, and you will need held lifting it when it's loaded. Remember to pre-cool, fill completely, and limit access. They have a good waranty and tons of usefull accesories (locks, baskets, seat).

8. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

Yeti Coolers bar none. I've broken far to many shitty coolers and spent way to much on ice before. There great. And if you cover it in cool stickers, you'll have unlimited cool guy points.

9. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I have always heard great things about the Yeti but have never used them. I did find a very informative product comparison on Youtube that did a side-by-side test on the top five ice coolers. You may want to take a look...the end results surprised me a little.

The Coleman Extreme had about as much ice (or more) than the Yeti after an 8-day test.

They recommended the Engel as the best all-around cooler for sportsmen.

10. Casey Hodges

Casey Hodges Member

As an owner of both the Yeti 65 and the Coleman X treme 70, I will tell you that the test in the video is flawed. I would bet the insulation in the Yeti was super warm from being in a hot car, or left in the sun prior to the test. While the Coleman is a good cheap cooler. It does not perform like the Yeti. And the construction very light. What do you expect for $40 on amazon?

11. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

No doubt the Yeti is the best, but price, weight, and capacity left me looking elsewhere. Picked up a Igloo Marine and have been very happy with it. $110 at West Marine for the 94 qt and holds ice very well. Stainless hinges, latches, and cord makes is stronger than old models, though the screws could still rip out.

Solid alternative to the Yeti, and really cooler management makes it fine for up to a week long float in heat...usually I'm tired of the sun before my cooler dies!

12. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Obi,
    OE here in Seattle had some Yeti's the last time I was there. If you need me to check for you the next time I'm there let me know. I also thought I saw Yeti's at Costco at one time.
    A cooler that is very similar in design to Yeti is a brand called "Down Under".

13. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Media:
    I'm sure the Yeti's are great coolers but for a heck of a lot less money you can keep your stuff cold for a week including using cubed ice from them for drinks after a day on the water. This is a paragraph from my journal last year for a week long stay at Kelly Creek. I only spent about $50 for the one cooler I brought along, but if you like go ahead and spend $300 plus

"
    The new Coleman Extreme cooler performed excellent! We had one block of ice last the entire week protecting our foods. In Kevin’s Coleman Extreme we had three blocks of ice and two bags of cubed to keep the beverages cool and store ice for the week. I think I would bring one more bag of cubed and one less of the blocks next year as we did like to have a mixed cocktail on the hot afternoons."
    Just my 2cents worth
    Mike

14. Jake Dixon

Jake Dixon Member

NRS came out with a line of coolers recently (link). I've not used them, but am really intrigued.

I have a 94qt Igloo Marine that has worked well on multi-day trips. Constructeur's link to MountainBuzz gives lots of great advice. Cooler management is really important.

15. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    any cooler that keeps beer cold is a good cooler.

16. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

A lot of great information/recommendations on this thread. I'm in the market for a new cooler, so thanks.

17. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    I have two Yetis; hands down, they're the best I've ever used. Heavy little bastards, but worth the price. The 65qt is probably the best size for the cost. We kept a block of ice for almost two weeks, and I'm wondering if I brined the meltwater if it would remain cold even longer!?

18. LJ

LJ Low Tech Lo

Here's an ice tip that might prove helpful. Stuff stays much cooler in my Coleman cooler if I freeze gallon jugs of water before taking off for a trip. With the ice contained in the jugs I don't get a cooler full of waterlogged food and I have fresh cold drinking water as the ice slowly melts. I think having the solid ice contained actually keeps it frozen long, too. The jugs still have ice in them 4 - 5 days later. If the Yeti's a better cooler, I'm sure you'd have ice days longer!

Derek Young likes this.
  19. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm very happy with the Moeller Ice Station Zero cooler in use for the last couple of years.

20. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Coleman Max still had ice after five days. Packed it the night before the GR trip. Blocks still kicking after four days of over 90s heat (travel/float/float/float/travel). I still want a yeti or Yukon.