Let's Talk Rain Gear

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by shadowcast, Jun 25, 2013.

1. fly-by

fly-by Active Member

Another vote for gore-tex paclite. I bought super minimalist one for cycling, it's basically a shirt. It works great for "double bagging" under various gore-tex or e-vent shells. Never been wet under some hellacious conditions that eventually wetted out the outer shell.

Stopped by the thrift store last week and scored an almost new marmot waterproof breathable shell that has a carhart-ish twill outer layer with elbow patches for $20. Should be more durable than ski type shells. They also had a giant can of 13% silicone kiwi camp dry spray for $1. Not sure if treating the outside will gum up the membrane, but for $21 it's a cheap experiment.

2. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

I have a poncho with a print on it that is a dude magnet and while wearing it, fish are easy to catch. It's sort of the opposite of an invisibility cloak, excepting it is pretty much waterproof, you can have it, signed too, for $15

Steffan Brown likes this.
  3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Shadowcast,

If price is a barrier, you have to shop shrewdly, same as the rest of the gear. I bought my first goretex rain coat through a Sierra Trading Post closeout for $65. It wasn't made by Simms, Redington, or Patagonia or any brand I'd ever heard of, but it's worked well. I got uppity cool brands now, but I still keep the old one in the car for emergency use or working in the yard.

Sg

4. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Whatever the choice is..... make sure its waterproof and not water resistant. I had a friend out on Sunday, it rained hard for a solid hour. He was ok for the first 5 minutes then soaked to the bone. I was dry and comfortable, dont skimp on half ass rain gear. rubber is cheap and it may not look cool, but you will be dry. I use goretex now, only because i spent the money and upgraded from grundens to a fashionable style. DONT buy something that isnt waterproof, you will waste the money on it and have to upgrade to rubber or gortex.

5. Mike Munro

Mike Munro Member

jwg likes this.
  6. Mike Munro

Mike Munro Member

7. chromefinder

chromefinder Member

Cabela's GORE-TEX® PacLite® Rainy River® Parka – Regular goes on sale from time to time for under $70

it's a good light weight packable Gore-Tex rain jacket for summer and carrying with you inside your fishing vest pocket or pack.

I believe some Jacket sizes/colors are on sale right now for approx $99 and the pants are nice as well.

8. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

Thanks everyone! ^That's a great article. I see what you mean about the "science" of it :confused: . Interestingly, I went into REI today and saw very little Goretex (3 jackets, maybe)--everything was some new fangled rice paper tech fabric that I'd never heard of with huge sticker prices. I'm sure they work for most applications, but I have to wonder about their durability in the face of thickets, falls, rocks, etc--although I realize they weren't designed for that. The more I read, the more I'm thinking, %^&* it, shell out for Goretex or make do with my HH ruberized nylon that's kept me dry and warm. I don't see the point anymore in a mid range "waterproof breathable" when Gore can be had for another $100 bucks.

That paclite looks like a great suggestion. One question though: how does it compare to Cabela's Guidewear jacket ($229)? What's the word on Cabela's customer service reputation? (read quite a few horror stories, but not sure whether they're exceptions or the rule). LL Bean is tempting in that regard...

9. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Cabela's is generally pretty good when it comes to their own brand gear. There are horror stories out there but lots of success stories too. I've had more trouble at REI than cabela's.

10. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

Yikes, that surprises me about REI. I wish there were a Cabela's in Seattle, or at least closer than Lacey.

11. Steve Unwin

Just a couple weeks ago I broke a fairly old cabela's rod. It took them some time to figure it out but eventually they have me store credit for the rod. It wasn't a lot, but they didn't have to do anything. No hassle, no questions asked. Others may not like them much, but they have done alright by me.

The Arlington location is a little closer, if you are in Seattle.

12. chromefinder

chromefinder Member

Shadowcast,

I'm not sure how the Cableas Pac Lite Rainy River Jacket compares to the exact Cabela's Guidewear jacket ($229) you are referring too in your post.

My Pac Lite is a very light no frills Jacket. Two zip pockets, a hood and some velcro on the cuffs. It keeps me dry, sheltered from the wind and pacs down small. The price was right for my as i paid between $49 and $68 for the three of them i purchased. Two were gifts. I couldn't touch that price for similar Pac Lite Goretex Jackets that other brand name retailers were offering.

I do have an older Cabela's Guidewear Goretex Jacket but i know they make a bunch of different guidewear models and they change them often. The one i have is a full length heavy duty non-insulated, fall winter spring use jacket with many pockets a very useful hood and cuff system. I do not wear it in summer due to its heavier weight and inablity to pack down small. I mostly wear for winter outdoor activities like skiing. Its been a good jacket - no complaints. It was $129 on sale.

Cabela's Warranty Return Policy Here for reference
    http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=ReturnsPolicy

So far i've been happy with their customer service...

13. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Yeah, if you're just looking to not get wet, this is the way I'd go too. I do have a wading jacket, but its primary use is for the wind, then med to light rain. For the heavy rain, out comes the $11.99 PVC Pancho/jacket.

14. Steve Unwin

Wearing a wool or wool blend base layer can help with clamminess, in my experience.

15. Toney

Toney My other car is a fly rod.

Me, I buy from Value Village. I typically can get an old used Columbia or similar rain coat with hood for under $10. Here's the trick, though. Pay attention, or you'll get really wet going this route. Buy a used name brand b/w jacket that is fully tape seamed. Wash jacket with outdoor clothing soap. Next, buy a can of outdoor silicone spray and spray the jacket (WaterGuard is the product I buy). Wait a day, then spray again. Result: Waterproof. If you get the seamed version, the jacket should keep you dry for a few hours if not longer. Make sure you take the coat out in a rainstorm to test this, or in your shower. The pummeling water will tell you if you sprayed correctly, or if you bought the right cheap jacket in the first place. To repeat, test your work. You don't want to be caught out in a rainstorm with gear you don't trust. Now, the breathability of the jacket might be in question, but for me, I want the waterproof part, and rely on the jacket's vents/zippers to keep the air circulating. Besides, I'm not huffing and puffing up a mountain in rainstorms to find my fishing, where more breathability might be an issue. I'm not that guy. If you are that guy, then buy new, expensive stuff. And besides, I tend to be one of those survivor guys. I pay attention to my respiration when I'm fishing. If I'm sweating too much, even using a breathable jacket, I'm likely to change my activity levels, slow down, that sort of thing, rather than rely too heavily on breathable clothing to keep me safe and comfortable.

16. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Good timing, anyway. I usually try to buy any rain gear just as summer is coming on and it goes on sale. I scored a nice breathable back country rain shell on the Clymb a while back that was made especially for backpacking. Made by Sierra Designs. So far it hasn't leaked, and I'm really happy with it. Its a solidly built shell, made to wear under a pack. It has a flexible panel in the back. It has armpit zippers in case one needs extra breathability. It has waterproof zippers on the pockets, too. Lightweight and packable.
    It originally listed at well over $100, but I picked it up for less than half of that. Kept me bone dry when fishing Lake Crescent in the rain with Jim Speaker. I recommend this.

17. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Just bite the bullet and get goretex proshell. It's stupid expensive but it won't break down after just two years of heavy use.

18. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

That's basically the conclusion I've come to, especially if I'm going to be doing any foul weather fishing. But since I've only been doing summers, I'm sure that Paclite would more than suffice. Kinda wish it had one of those huge hoods to put a hat under, but we can't have everything. Waiting for a nice closeout sale on one.