Lifting wild fish

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Clarki, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Clarki I'd rather be reading water

olywa
    Ratings: +24 / 0
  2. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    Don't know - if you're fishing in a kill fishery - can you hold the fish out of the water??
    If that was a Snyder fish - then it is a hatchery fish - they clip a different fin
  3. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    I don't see anything in the rules about not lifting them out of the water in the rivers he mentions. Clarki, what page are you looking at?
  4. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,748 / 0
    Unless you know the date the photo was taken there is nothing that can be considered illegal. All of those pictures could have been taken before the rule of removing fish from water was implemented.
    Josh P and Derek Young like this.
  5. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +410 / 0
  6. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +754 / 0
    Here it is straight from WDFW
    “It is unlawful to totally remove salmon, steelhead, or Dolly Varden/Bull Trout from the water if it is unlawful to retain those fish, or if the angler subsequently releases the salmon, steelhead, Dolly Varden/Bull Trout.”
  7. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,175 / 0
    Any steelhead that will be released (even if legal to kill) must be kept in the water. This applies to both wild and hatchery steelhead on all waters.
  8. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Thanks Chris. I eventually found that passage in the rules pamphlet. It's frustrating that it's listed under the fish handling section and not in the special rules for freshwater Steelhead.
  9. Clarki I'd rather be reading water

olywa
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Yes. Thanks for the clarification, Chris.
  10. kamishak steve Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    <i guess its not illegal. <in those rivers you are still allowed to kill wild steelhead for some asinine reason.
  11. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +767 / 0
    I don't know about that one, there are lots of guides out there and if I ever did want to pay someone to put me into fish I wouldn't pick the guy with the dry hero shots of native fish. I guess that doesn't matter to most of the clients out there looking to pay their way to catching steel. I would much rather go with someone thats a little more respectful of the wild stock.
  12. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    i agree lifting a wildfish out of the water for a quick picture is certainly disrespectful, not nearly as much of course as ripping a fish from its place in a pool or tailwater, stressing it to high heaven, and playing it twice as long as need be...jus sayin':)
  13. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    At least it has oxygen when in the water;)
  14. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    Kinda like the oxygen I have right after a 200 meter all out sprint
  15. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    exactly.
    JesseCFowl likes this.
  16. daveypetey Active Member

University District, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    I am interested to know the data behind the law. Anyone have a link to the state or university study that resulted in the passage of the law? It seems that the caloric expendature of catching the fish would be MUCH, MUCH more detrimental to the length of time the fish can successfully spawn than 20-30 seconds out of the water. I know I will get flammed for this observation, but I work in a data supported field and cannot find (google) any legitimate papers/studies to support this law. I am neither pro nor con on the law, but I am strongly against legislation that is fanned by emotion and no solid, well documented factual basis.
    East Fork likes this.
  17. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/f92-129#.UOm50rY1bhE
  18. daveypetey Active Member

University District, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    AWESOME. Thanks for the article. The abstract is interesting. Chris do you have a membership to the journal? Could you send me the full PDF? What was the n for the study? Any other abnormalities in the methods? I would love to send this out to friends.
  19. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    i just did a quick google search... there's a ton of info on the study out there. here it is though

LINK
  20. Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Twin Bridges, MT
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Iagree and also wouldn't hire a guide from a discount craigslist ad.