Light cure acrylic for rod finishing?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by ratboy, Jan 19, 2012.

1. ratboy New Member

Singapore
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi

Has anyone tried using light cure acrylics (eg Clear Cure Goo)
    to replace the traditional epoxies for rod finishing ?

imagine, after wrapping the guides,
    coat the wraps with the goo
    while hand rotating till the thing evens out
    then hit it with the cure light

Instant Gratification : )

Need opinions before i do something stupid
  2. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +226 / 3
    There was a recent "itinerant angler" podcast where they talked with one of the guys who started one of the light cured epoxy companies (can't remember if it was clear cure or truffleye). Basically said they are all working on this application and expect it to be ready fairly soon. The hardness of the set epoxy is different for flies vs rods. Also, the cure time and light intensity for proper setting differs.
  3. NIrodneck Member

Dover,ID
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I know a fellow rodbuilder who is working with Clear Cure on just that application. He is building a rod and is almost finished with it. He says it has a slight oily feel when cured but if wiped down with DNA that goes away. He is going to be testing it soon for uv resistance and durability. A little over a year ago these people got a hold of a few us to be testers but he is the only one so far they have gotten ahold of as he lives a short ways away from them.
  4. NIrodneck Member

Dover,ID
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I know a fellow rodbuilder who is working with Clear Cure on just that application. He is building a rod and is almost finished with it. He says it has a slight oily feel when cured but if wiped down with DNA that goes away. He is going to be testing it soon for uv resistance and durability. A little over a year ago these people got a hold of a few us to be testers but he is the only one so far they have gotten ahold of as he lives a short ways away from them.hit wrong button sorry about the double post.