light for tying bench

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Otto Aldridge, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Otto Aldridge

Otto Aldridge New Member

Well it is still raining here As I set next to the Satsop River in all of it's mudd. I saw a farmer plowing his field, and before he know it he was half way across the river. Luckley he caught a spruce tree and held on. They pulled him out around Montesano. O.k. guys this is what I need to know what kind of light do you have at your tying bench? I am getting old and need more light than what I have. Thanks Otto :D

2. MrP

MrP Member

A Christmas present severals years ago--the giraffe light.

3. Rick Phelps

Rick Phelps Member

I use the Daylight Table Top Magnifying Lamp, it seems to work for everything I need plus the price is right, about 80.00.

Rick

4. FT

FT Active Member

Otto,

I use an Ott light with the full spectrum, daylight type small tube flourescent bulb. I use the one that clamps to my tying table. The 18 watt provides the most light (about like a 100 watt regular bulb. And because it is full-spectrum lighting, colors are not distorted (the light it nearly the same as sun light at noon) and everything is very sharp and in focus.

There are other full-spectrum lights on the market, like the Giraffe already mentioned. Hareline Dubbing has been offering one through its dealers for the last year that is very nice and includes a magnifyer for about $70.00.

5. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Oto,

I'm also using the OTT lite 18 watt model, with an attached magnifyer (I also have old eyes, well one anyway). It sure is nice to be able to see those size 22's to tie them. Now idf someone will just tie them on the tippet for me. Check Jo-Ann's Fabric ads in the papers. They sell them for 50% off a lot of times.

REE

6. Shawn Seeger

Shawn Seeger (aka. wabowhunter)

7. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Wabo,

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the light, but I love the libations! I'm gonna have to add a little glass of somethin somethin to my setup! Genius!

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I use one of those cheap ones. With the knee action and a magnfying glass with a 40 watt bulb. If you go to the fly tying section you should be able to see what several of us use in the way of lights. My eyes also suck,but what I use is good enough for them.

Jim

9. skeetrsh

skeetrsh New Member

Just bought the desk top mag/lt combo & luv it...use a clamp on overhead Ott...need all the lt I can get....one thing about a magnifier though, it will sure keep you honest :) ...but, now my #20 EHC's are coming out great!!

10. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

just got a new Mckenzie bright light from the MRS. Claus for Christmas. I love it . It also has a magnifyer on it. It'll mostly be used for travel though because I have 4x4' T-8 Daylight bulbs above my bench as well as 1 magnifying flouresent fixture and a 60watt incandesent magnifying lamp.
    My eyes are getting back too but, mostly from glaucoma...:beathead:

11. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

I use a cheap drafting table light with a color-corrected bulb in it at 100 watts. Bought the light at a yard sale and the bulb at the hardware store. The bulb cost me more than the light fixture did.

12. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

I was looking through an art catalog (Dick Blick) that came in my mail and noted that they carry the Ott lights and Daylight lamps but have a lot more models than the fly shops. I am contomplating (ouch) getting an Ott 100 W bulb. It is $40 but that is a ways cheaper than most of the floor or desk top models - wish I knew what the differnce was.

Right now I have three flourescent socket bulbs in three basic hardware store aluminum clamp fixtures as well as a double 40" flouro set. I like a lot of light.

13. Dylan D

Dylan D Member

I use a cheap little lamp my wife bought at Ikea, I think it was $6. I'll probably have to upgrade some day, but I've tied hundreds of flies and built a few rods under it, so it's already paid off. For magnification, I use a flip focal, which cost 3x what the light did.

Sometimes you beat the system :cool: , sometimes it beats you :beathead: .

14. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Boeing drafting table light and magnifier. $10 at estate sale. Use the light all the time and the magnifier for flies under size 18. In the last 6 months I have seen 2 others for sale a garage sales for the same price.

15. Otto Aldridge

Otto Aldridge New Member

Thank you all it look like a Ott light will be good bet for Otto
    Otto

16. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

I just got an e-mail from a buddy that said Jo-Ann's Fabrics has their Ott-Lites on sale for 50% off.

REE