lighting bug and 6 pack

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by hikepat, Jun 11, 2002.

1. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    I have seen a few post talking about a lighting bug and on a 6 pack pattern. I yet to ever see anyone using and nothing is shown in any of the reading material I have read and I am wondering what the pattern looks like and how it is fished. Any information on would help because I am a curious fisherman and always willing to add another working pattern or two to my fly box. :DUNNO

2. jgrins

jgrins New Member

A six-pack is a soft-hackle fly, but I am not sure what it is supposed to imitate. You can find a picture of it on Hill's Discount Flies web page, but it is essentially a partridge hackle and a pheasant tail with a body that I am not sure of...pheasant tail wrapped? I think mine also have a copper rib, and it is on approximately size 12 hook...
    -Jeff

www.hillsdiscountflies.com

3. jgrins

jgrins New Member

4. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Media:
    The lightning bug:
    Also known locally as Larry Graham's Lightning bug.

Hook:5262 10-16 I like 16 & 14
    Thread:Black
    Bead:Gold small to medium
    Tail:ringneck rump feather
    Rib:fine silver wire (not from original pattern)
    Body:pearlescent mylar wrapped around the hook
    Wingcase:pearlescent mylar from excess body material
    Ab:peacock herl (1/3rd of hook)
    Legs:same pheasant rump feather with even tips, tied 1/2 length of body, 4-6 on each side is my preference.

This fly was based off of the P.T. nymph mainly for yakima summers.
    Larry uses this fly as a dropper under a golden stone. I changed the bead to a blued silver bead. Yes, I blue them from gun bluing blue. This is strictly for style points.

5. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Looks kind of like a olive soft hackle then. That lets me know what it is then. Thank you for the photo that really helped.

6. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    While I will not pretend to know you to tie this one, since I have not learned to tie yet. Something I hope to learn durring the two months durring the year I do not fish in Dec and Jan. I do know what a P T is though so that gives me a good idea. I am printing a hard copy of the tying instructions to try when I am learning this winter. Thank you both for clueing me in. :BIGSMILE

7. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Media:
    Let me know if you need a few. Creekside tries to carry the lightning bug but they are hard to come by. There is a dealer in Montana but the pattern is not the same as what Larry originated.

8. Preston

Preston Active Member

The Six Pack is a self-bodied Carey Special tied with yellow-dyed pheasant rump. A tail of pheasant rump is optional, the body is a rump feather twisted and wound onto the shank with a counter-wrapped copper wire rib (if a few fibers don't get wrapped down, so much the better) and the hackle is four or five turns of pheasant rump. I usually tie it on a standard nymph hook, in sizes 8-10. Karl Haufler tied it and tried it out at Pass Lake sometime in the 'sixties. On that particular day it seemed to be the only thing that the fish wanted and soon the other anglers were trying to beg, borrow or steal one from him. He quickly came up with the simple barter arrangement which gave the fly its name. I don't know what that fly in the picture is, but it sure isn't a Six Pack.

Like all of the other Carey variations (and, so far as I know, this is the only one that has earned a name of it own) it looks like a lot of things; a damsel or dragon nymph, or just something alive that can be eaten. I've always felt that it was probably taken for a damselfly nymph more often than not. It can be trolled deep on a full-sink line with an irregular twitch or cast and retrieved on a floating or intermediate-sink line. I rarely fish anything but dries anymore, but still keep a few Six Packs in my box for those days when I have to admit that nothing's happening on top.

9. parachute_adam

parachute_adam New Member

10. jimadams79

jimadams79 New Member

I fish a variation of the above mentioned sixpack. I use olive dyed pheasant rump for the hackle, Olive dyed pheasant tail for the tail and sometimes even for the body. Most of the time I use peacock herl for the body. this fly has coaught a lot of fish for me in eastern washington, particularly in Amber lake.

Jim