Lightning Bug?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by sashjo, Aug 5, 2004.

1. sashjo

sashjo Member

Anyone have the original recipe? I seached the web and found 4 similar patterns with 3 different spellings. What color is the head supposed to be?

2. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

http://www.offc.org/larry/

Above is a link to an article that purports to give tying instructions for the original pattern designed by Larry Graham.

Calvin

3. Denny

Denny Active Member

Yup, that's how Larry tied 'em.

That is a great article by Aaron about Larry Graham and the Lightning Bug, and a very accurately tied rendition of Larry's bug!:thumb

4. Denny

Denny Active Member

Yup, that's how Larry tied 'em.

That is a great article by Aaron about Larry Graham and the Lightning Bug, and a very accurately tied rendition of Larry's bug!:thumb

5. sashjo

sashjo Member

Calvin,

Thanks. Great article plus tying info. I tied up a bunch of sz 16 and 18 since 14 would be a little big as fall approaches.

6. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

i just talked to 2 flyshops on the madison river and they said a chartreuse body or a black body in 16 or 18 is a killer as the fish have not seen that pattern.

7. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

lightning bug

i just tied some bugs and copper johns with some blue wire and they look good. i also got some wire in hot yellow, hot orange and white. mike williams

8. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

I have a recipe on my site, it is not the original but it has worked very well for me, I landed some very nice cutthroat on Soda Butte creek in Yellowstone using a #16 Lightning Bug, it is definitly a great fly :thumb: . I will try to put some more up to date tying instructions on tonight when I get home from, as I have found a more efficient way of tying it.

http://members.aol.com/gigharborflyfish/public_html/lbug.html

9. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

lightning bug

very interesting, my son was to fish soda butte today and i bet the first fly he uses is the bug. i heard by someone it was invented on the yakima. i am goint to tie some in orange blue and black but would the be similar to a copper john?

10. Jay Johnson

Jay Johnson New Member

i first heard of it on the yak also. now it seems i hear about it all the time. im gonna have to give in to the hype and tie some up.

11. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

l. bug

i use a tungsten bead with little or no lead wire that way the bug is slim and gets to the wiew of the fish quicker . also tie some in black, blue, orange and chartreuse. they are very good flies.

12. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Sweet.

Purple and chartruese are madison killers. There is also a throw off called the spitfire which is extremely effective as well. Dont forget orange!