Like plugging Holes in a Dike

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by miyawaki, Mar 4, 2003.

1. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

In todays news.

Leland.

Idaho lands ESPN fly-fishing contest

By DARYL GADBOW of the Missoulian

Rejected by Montana, event moves to Henry's Fork of Snake River

After being turned down by Montana, ESPN will hold its Great Outdoor Games fly-fishing tournament in Idaho, the television network announced Monday.

ESPN proposed holding a fly-fishing contest on Missoula-area rivers April 8-10 as a qualifying test for its 2003 Great Outdoor Games, a made-for-TV event that combines competition in a variety of outdoor activities, which will be held in July in Reno, Nev.

On Feb. 14, after receiving almost 400 public comments that ran 2-to-1 against the Missoula contest, the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks denied ESPN's request to hold it. Montana fishing regulations prohibit contests that impact wild trout. So the ESPN tournament would have required a waiver of the rule from FWP.

Objections to the Missoula event in the public comments included potential negative impacts to the fishery and recreation by the likelihood of increased fishing pressure and crowding caused by the national television exposure.

Eric Matijevich, director of the ESPN Great Outdoor Games, said he was surprised and disappointed by FWP's decision. But he said the network wouldn't appeal it to the FWP Commission, which is allowed under state regulations.

Matijevich said ESPN planned to hold the fly-fishing contest in an alternative location and that the network was considering five or six different sites.

ESPN and Idaho state officials announced Thursday that the ESPN Fly Fishing Challenge, one of two regional qualifiers for the Great Outdoor Games, will be held April 8-10 on the Henry's Fork of the Snake River near Idaho Falls.

"The Henry's Fork is a spectacular site for our Western competition," said Matijevich. "We were looking for generous waters that are still going to challenge the anglers and get them ready for the kind of world-class event we're going to have at the games in July."

The competition will involve 18 anglers. Twelve have already been chosen by committee review of the applications. The other six will be selected through an open-call casting competition early in the first day of the event.

The April contest will be televised on ESPN2 at 12:30 p.m. during the June 14 ESPN Outdoors weekend television programs and again on June 20 at 1 and 7 p.m.

"The Henry's Fork is one of America's great fly-fishing rivers," said John Barrett of Missoula, whose production company is working with ESPN to televise the event.

"Through the show," Barrett added, "viewers will get an opportunity to see anglers test their skills on a river that's still accessible and generous to the everyday fisherman."

Fly Fishing Challenge contestants will wade or fish from drift boats for a maximum of three hours on designated sections of the Henry's Fork. Within that time, the competitors must each measure and declare a single fish as his or her official catch, and then release it back into the river. Once the angler has declared a fish, he or she must stop fishing.

The top six anglers from the first day of the contest will move on to the final day of competition. The top three anglers from the final day will earn prize money and invitations to the Great Outdoor Games, set for July 10-13, on the Truckee River in Nevada.

2. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Who are the twelve already chosen?

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

3. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

I won't even ignore them.
    But I will write a note to Idaho F&W to explain why I am boycotting their waters and lisences and motels and gas stations and diners and fly shops...

4. sinktip

sinktip Guest

I am so happy to see that Fly Fishing is well on its way to becoming a high profile competitive sport. And add to it that it will be featured in my home state of Idaho just has be so joyous I just can't see straight.

Warning: Sarcasm Alert

5. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

I have been quietly developing an exciting new concept: Competitive Arena Flyfishing. I have all proper permits in hand and will unveil the first event of the CAF league season, on a perfect stretch of the N F Skykomish River. With a few enhancements, this "natural" arena setting will comfortably sit 16,500 fans. All true fly fishing fans will appreciate this natural and interactive sporting experience. Official CAF merchandise will be available at all events, and online. Support your home town flyfisher- buy season tix today!

6. Crash

Crash New Member

They use fly fisher's who work for companies like Simms, Cortland, etc. They know which side
    their bread's buttered on. It isn't open to regular folks.

7. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I'm disgusted.....bassmasters, here we come. And I just sent in my Idaho season license about 4 hours ago! I will write the dates down to avoid this mess.

I had a nightmare about 2 years ago....people were fishing in a concrete man-made meandering stream in the city with bushes, trees, cobbles in the stream, and everything! It was a nightmare that will probably come true one of these days. Anyone care to invest?!! Turn on the pumps! Pay me your $150 to fish in my artifical stream. Who needs to go to Idaho or Montana...

dryflylarry

8. dlw

dlw New Member

Im moving to Idaho next fall, and hope I will never see this kind of thing first hand. Unlike Montana, most of Idaho remains unpublicized and isnt as well know to the fly fishing public. Who knows, mabey in 20 years Idaho streams will be every bit as crowded as it Montana neighbors are today. I guess I'll just have to get in as much fishing as I can before time is up.

This is not the direction Bassmast...um, I mean fly fishing needs to be going. Do they close down the river to the public during these contests? If not, mabey a bunch of drift boaters & other fly fishermen can put together a flotilla during this thing and see how they like it when they have to fish in a crowded river.

9. scottr

scottr Active Member

Some one should organize a floatilla of drift boats with big signs stating that ESPN sux and that flysihing is not a competitive sport. I would do it just to piss off ESPN with their stupid contest.

Or

You could also just give away free cases of Schimdts Ice and inner-tubes to all the locals and create an instant rubber hatch. }(

10. reaganfly

reaganfly New Member

18 guys fishing on a river that people already come from all over the world to fish? Thats all it takes to arouse the collective ill will of this page? I'm sure there's more damage done to the fish by ham fisted ceo's getting their flyfishing merit badge during the high season than by this competition. To quote Ol' man Jim-"Just my 0.015" It used to be 0.02, damn recession.

11. saltchuck

saltchuck New Member

Whooooeeee. A flyfeeshin cawntest!. Now weez kin awl start kissin' ahr feeshes afor weez letz em go. Jes lahk I seen dat blond bass feeshermin do on telebizhun.

12. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

I wholeheartedly agree. That is the one thing I miss about being back home in sw Idaho. The fact that I can fish for a day and not see anyone else.

Scott

13. JohnW

JohnW Member

I have to agree with Reaganfly. I really don't see anything wrong with the idea at all. In fact the one week a month that I actually get to work dayshift. I almost always turn on ESPN Outdoors in the mornings with the hope of finding a little flyfishing on the tube. While bringing more people into the sport may cause some crowding, it also causes more people to care about the environment.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I'm being drug into this and I haven't decided if I want to answer to this thing or not. On one hand they will only be there for a few days and you all say that that river gets a lot of pressure durning the year so what's 18 guys going to do to the river that's not being done already. Besides they are strung out up and down the river. Not just in one place.

I've seen this done one place before and I didn't see where they destroyed the area. In fact I thought it was kinda neat. Just my 0.015.

Jim

15. Crash

Crash New Member

Let me qualify my earlier answer. I visited the ESPN GO Games site, looking for those who will be
    contestants this year. I couldn't find any names. But, I did see were you can submit an
    application for the contest. Then a 'committee' choses 12 people, and the other six are selected by
    elimination, such as a casting contest. Then there will be 2 fishoffs, one in Pennsylvania and the
    other in Idaho. I watched the fishoff last year when it was held in Johnson County, Wyoming
    . You can guess the river that was used. I know guides and other folks from that area, and nobody
    had any gripes about ESPN being there. But as much as I like to fly fish, watching TV shows about
    it doesn't do much for me, so I'll pass on this years hoopla. I wonder which part of the Henry's Fork
    they will be on, though, because the Harriman State Park section doesn't open until the middle of
    June, unless that's been changed.

'The wind wouldn't blow so hard in Wyoming if they'd a
    planted trees instead of sheepherders.' - Chas. L. Eutsler

16. dlw

dlw New Member

I don't think it's a matter of the direct pressure on the river. I agree that 18 guys will have little impact during the time they are fishing, since the Henrys Fork already gets a significant amount of pressure. I was referring to the indirect effects, such as the thousands af poeple who watch the contest and decide "hey that looks like a great place to fish." In a few years, an already crowded fishery may get 2X worse. This exposure also carries over to other Idaho streams as well. I guess I'm somewhat of a selfish fisherman, but I like unknown rivers to stay that way. Even though Idaho is not a trophy trout destination like Montatna, I prefer to fish their because I know I wont have to compete with 20 other guys on a stretch of river.

Besides the effects of added pressure, these contests also drag down fly fishing in general. Just look at bass fishing now. It's a joke. In those tournaments you have guys who wear shirts with as many sponsor patches as jeff gordons race car, flying down the lake in their $50,000 bass boat, who can land a 4lb bass in about 5 seconds. Add all the competition to this and what do you get. Hardly resembles fishing anymore.
    Fly fishing torunaments are not nearly this bad, but I'm sure bass tournaments had to start somewhere. The ideas of competing and fly fishing, just seem like two totally differnt things to me. I enjoy fly fishing, because its not a comercialized activity, I can relax, and I usually dont have to wory about doing better than everyone else.

17. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

I suppose my feelings are mixed on the subject. I'm not totally against the idea, though. I've watched that show (don't remember the name of it) a few times & I like it. It's well done I think. Bass tournaments feature dozens of guys jetting all over a lake from spot to spot as fast as they can. It focuses on speed & covering a lot of water. ESPN's great outdoor games (?) show is nothing like that. They have a few folks, each in their own spot. They sneak up on spots just like you or I would. They normally talk real soft, if at all. If there weren't any cameras, they'd be just a handful of normal guys fly fishing. I think what most people aren't liking about the idea, is the cameras. The show, to me is kinda' educational & tastefully done. As far as the show over-publicizing and consequently over-crowding a particular river...I doubt it. I don't believe people are watching it to try to find hot spots. I don't remember the names or locations of any of the rivers they've featured. I just got a kick outta the experience, so to speak. -there's my 0.00 "sense"-worth.
    easygoer

18. GreekGeek

GreekGeek New Member

It's kind of like when "That Damn Movie" came out...in that it has given Fly-Fishing a much more public view. In many respects this has been a mixed blessing. It has brought more pressure to the waters that we like to fish, but it has also provided a few more flyshops and a lot more of a consumer market to chose from... There aren't just 2 or 3 major Fly-Fishing companies out there to choose from, there's hundreds. As a frugal consumer I think that's a big plus.

One of the big things that I think is being overlooked in comparing Fly-Fishing to Bass-Fishing is...Bass-Fishing has long been the preoccupation with the toothless-beer-swilling-trailer park inhabitants around our great United States. Now granted this is a huge stereotype...but in many senses it is true. Fly-fishing is a gentleman's sport. I believe it will remain a gentleman's sport. I don't think that "Bubba", after finishing his 12 pack of Milwaukee's Best and watching the ESPN Fly-Fishing special, is going to say, "Gonna have t' git me one a them there fancy fly rods momma, I got a hankerin' to throw me some line":p And of course, if there happens to be a NASCAR event on opposite of the ESPN special we've got nothing whatsoever to worry about!

Of course, that's just my two denarii worth.

--GreekGeek

19. AClassicJourney

AClassicJourney New Member

I really like the idea of an "ESPN Sucks" t-shirt. I'll be selling them at the floating concession stands that I own all the exclusive rights to on the Snake. Also I will have hotdog vendors in Float tubes that will be shouting "Get your River Dogs", but never in any of the competitor's back casts. We respect thoroughly the river and its will to make itself an even playing field for the score keepers. Long live capitalism maquerading as competition.

Please let's not kid ourselves, in the end it's about the almighty buck. I thought we fished so we could forget about the rat race and the money that drives it. If you really want to nip these contests in the bud, look to see who sponsors them and then light up those companie's e-mails with messages of refusing to buy their products.

On the other hand, I have enjoyed many a Sunday afternoon of football and I have been know to get wrapped up in League night as well. Maybe I'll start the Wednesday evening rise League, but I don't know how we'll establish a handicap system. Nah, I just stick to bowling. No Mosquitoes and I don't have to pack in the beer.

20. reaganfly

reaganfly New Member

I am really not trying to be an agitator, and I thought about this a long time. It strikes me as odd that a person with a link to a guide service in their post is calling out ESPN for promoting capitalism as competition. Making money off of the fish is making money, whether from a drift boat or with a tv camera. Nothing personal, it just put a burr in my saddle.