WFF Likes & Dislikes

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chris Scoones, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +295 / 0
    Most are rolling with the likes / dislikes ratings ([IMG]) that I added with the new forum. It's a straight forward feedback mechanism. While there are potential challenges, there are definite benefits..
    • Improves signal to noise ratio; less short/unnecessary posts if you just wanted to agree, say thanks or take exception to someone's approach.
    • Improves quality of posts (posters want to avoid negative)
    • Makes lurkers useful for something and gives them a means of interaction
    I encourage you to use it. Effortlessly you could show some appreciation to someone's good efforts. If you haven't seen them yet, look to the lower right of any post.

As for the dislikes. If you consistently acquire dislikes, well, perhaps you should consider your approach. That said, be fair when dealing a dislike out and let it go at that.

Furthermore the likes are tied in with post counts to an overall trophy points. Out of the gate these "trophies" don't mean a thing except to say thanks for your participation and "it's not just your post count" but down the road it may become useful.

Chris

--------------------------------
    Update: Thanks for everyone's feedback. A lot of it offline. Going to move forward with likes and drop the dislikes. Perhaps I'll revisit that approach down the road but for now, it seams it's going to cause some distraction I'd rather not deal with at the moment.
  2. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    Wow Chris, you have a nice score!!!! What! No "dislikes"!!!!!!!!? Awesome. :)
    ganderlander2 likes this.
  3. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,354 / 9
    Good feature that hopefully will lead most to be interactive, helpful and positive. There are no angels or saints here, but sometimes the nasty stuff is best suited for a PM and out of the view of the masses.
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Great photoshop artwork, but if you want to really see those numbers soar, start telling the stories of the past couple of years around the pallets of explosives and the Fourth of July!
  6. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +274 / 1
  7. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +870 / 0
    ah.... The POD, pellets of destruction!
  8. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +705 / 1
    Still believe it will not be used as intended...but time will tell. Ed, what the hell... who did you piss off?
  9. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    After posting a what I thought was a killer SBS, I'm left wondering who I have to spoon around here to get some likes.

:D
  10. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +164 / 0
    50 50 ratio
    I like celebrate diverse opinions!
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    I'm not everyone's favorite. Big_E, totally not intersested in spooning, but I did enjoy the SBS tying.
  12. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +760 / 2
    Uh-oh, I guess I should refrain from posting about Joe Paterno in future.
  13. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,737 / 0
    The problem I see with ratings is the tit for tat that will be going on. I thumbs down a post from freestoneangler and I see he did the same to me. I think retaliation will drive a lot of the ratings.
  14. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +959 / 1
    I like fly fishing, sipping alcoholic beverages on the back patio, browsing fly fishing stores, long walks on the beach and spooning. Dislikes are vaccumming, doing the dishes, most assignments from the wife.

Is that what likes/dislikes are??
  15. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    Hmm,... I was planning on putting a dislike on every one of Charles's post for writing "Go Sox". Are you saying this is an incorrect usage of it?

Go Tribe
  16. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    That would be incorrect usage, Brady. Abuse of the rating system can taken care of by any of the Mods. If you're having an issue let us know.
  17. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    The season will start soon. Everyone will be getting the score of the game or tomorrow's starting pitcher. Curious if I'll get likes when the old towne team is behind and dislikes when ahead. Likes for Felix Dubront and dislikes for Beckett? Lester must get likes since he's a Washington kid right. I may pile up both in this scenario.

cds
  18. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,647 / 0

Yeah, your on my shit list.....................................Not.

This could make brother hate brother.
  19. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    I'm still pissed that Ed "liked" one
    of my posts...why me?
  20. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Sometimes you have a delivery method that resonates with me. I like that.