Lincoln Park Warming Up

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by miyawaki, Sep 19, 2013.

1. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I walked out to Colman Pool on the ebb and saw the last remnants of the pink horde on the west side of the point tossing their bombs. One lone flyfisher was fishing the east side. Soon the tide slacked and everyone left save me and one gearfisher. It should be noted that I did not see any signs of bait (if there were, I wouldn't have napped). An hour into the flood, a small school of coho showed up. The gearfisher hooked two and landed one hatchery fish of 7-8 lbs. I had two massive bow wakes track both my searun and coho poppers. The fish turned away as their bellies scraped sand at my feet. Will be back again today to see if the run is legit.

Leland.

The floodtide setting up:
    photo.JPG

2. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Nothing like some top water action even if there is no hookup. Pretty exciting/heart stopping event! Can best be described by these words: "Wow, oh my gosh"!

Roger

3. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

It is so much more active. Even when blind casting, you're still working the popper back with your strips provoking the slash or follow!

Leland.

4. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Hey Leland,

That was me yesterday with the Linekurv stripping basket. Dang! Can't believe they decided to show up after I left. Good to hear though.

Jason

5. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

As soon as the tide sets up and pushes hard at point

Leland

6. I was also out yesterday morning (near the gear guys) for about an hour and a half before work, left at 8a. Had one really long follow and a hit on a popper. Saw several coho and SRC jump. Really not a bad way to start the day!

7. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Nothing early this morning, unfortunately had to leave by 8:15am. Perhaps high ebb is not the best at LP?

8. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Well, as the old saying goes, "you shoulda been here yesterday." I was and it was a lot better than today.

Leland.

Kcahill likes this.
  9. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Isn't that most alwasy the case!? I've been hearing that a lot lately...

10. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

When sliders become poppers the follow's a heart stopper

David Loy and Steve Saville like this.
  11. pcknshvl

pcknshvl Member

I was there early today, and early on Wednesday. A couple of follows, but nothing as exciting as Leland's experience. All poppers, all the time.

Leland, I was wondering if you'd been to LP yet this year. I haven't smelled any cigar smoke there at all!

Tom

12. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Been splitting my time between the Narrows and LP, Tom

Leland.

13. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

I hear you. My dad and uncle limited on nice coho Thursday afternoon south of Bush Point. We went out today and only heard crickets chirping. No fish around today.

14. Eric B

Eric B Montana hillbilly

I spent a few hours this evening at LP. Slow for everybody, including me. I had one nice boil behind a popper right before dark, but that was it.

One question: With the popper, do most of you use a a cinch knot, or a non-slip knot with a small loop? Does it affect the action that much? I have tried both, but haven't seen anything that sways my opinion yet. I have more confidence in the strength of my cinch knots, but I'm curious about a 2nd opinion.

15. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I use a non slip loop for all my flies except dries

16. Eric B

Eric B Montana hillbilly

Thanks for the input! I will continue to try the non slip consistently & hopefully report back in hopes of an improvement on numbers.

17. Brandond

Brandond New Member

I'm new to Seattle as a longtime trout fisherman from the Rockies. I've been out at LP a lot lately trying to learn a new craft and finally got my first one this morning using a neon green over pink clouser. Amazing experience!

Brandon

Attached Files:

18. nwtroutguy

nwtroutguy The Tug Is The Drug

Nicely done! Nothing will replace time spent on the water.

19. pcknshvl

pcknshvl Member

Fished it last week and yesterday. Had follows, strong boils, and even a nip or too on the M. Popper, but none to hand. Saw the occasional fish caught by both gear and fly guys, all during the hour or so I'd spend there between 7 and 8. Pretty nice, living just up the hill.

The fish are there for sure--I bet this lasts a couple more weeks.

miyawaki likes this.