Line for tcx 6119 overhead?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Matthew Gulbranson, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    I'm looking for some advice on an overhead casting option for the tcx 6119 'switch' rod. I'm hoping to use this rod for two-handed casting from the beach, but haven't quite found the right line yet that makes it sing. I've tried the rio 6/7 switch line, the rage 390, and the skagit switch 420 so far. My favorite has actually been the 420, but it doesn't quite have that extra punch to get the extra distance. In contrast, I cast my 5 wt switch further with a compact scandi head. I know this rod has plenty of giddy-up, and the 420 is amazing when spey casting.

I'm hoping to find someone who has actually used this rod for this purpose, but know that there may not be many out there.

Was thinking about the 40+, and even going a bit heavier that 420 grains. Just hard to drop that much on a line you don't even know will work.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Matthew

2. ten80

ten80 Active Member

I cast an 8wt Airflo intermediate something-or-other on a 6/7wt Beulah switch today, was a very good match. You might do well with a heavy 7wt (ie. outbound) or regular 8wt line. I run a 10wt 40+ intermediate on my 8/9wt switch and it shoots pretty darn well; upsizing two line sizes for a switch rod is pretty common. I've bought some lines from Pacific Fly Fishers because they let buyers try lines at their casting pond behind the shop.