Line Grain Weight Quesiton?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by USMC VET, Apr 17, 2013.

1. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

I was looking at grain waits for the new Redington Prospector Switch Rods which seem to have changed vs. the previous CPX model

Base on what I found online , the chart says that a suggested line grain weight for their 8wt. prospector switch rod would be 525 + 50 .. would this recommendation apply to both the scandi and Skagit heads?

I do not have any sort of instruction material so I am trying to figure out what is the best setup for this prospector switch also , does the +50 mean I can go up to 575? what would be the advantage to this or reason.

thank you, Ron

2. RustE

RustE drifting about

According to the 2013 Rio Chart: 475-525gr Skagit, 435-450 Scandi

Here again, these are guidelines from one manufacturer. Recall that spey and switch rods are built with a wider grain window than single-hand rods. Heavier weight heads/lines will load the rod deeper into the butt and slow the overall response.

I typically go towards the heavier end with skagit heads as my preference is casting from a water-borne anchor. Some folks that cast skagit heads with a touch-and-go technique would go one or two weights lighter.

3. USMC VET

USMC VET Member