Line question for a Loomis two hander

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Ringlee, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I have one of my guide rods set up with a windcutter line and want to switch it out for a short body head. The rod is a GL3 FR1688/9-3. The numbers are random. The rod is a 14' 8/9. It has more flex than my burkeimer rods. I would call it a "traditional" two handed rod. I was wondering what skagit spey from rio or any competitors short heads do you think would work on this rod?
    Chris

2. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Hi Chris, I have tried the airflo skagit head in the 8/9 and found it a bit light on that rod, the 9/10 would load it properly. If you are looking for a floater for it the Hardy mach 1 plus in the 10/11 size is a awsome match.

3. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Chris,

If you can get to Carnation from Gig Harbor, you should check out Aaron down on the river and cast some different lines with that rod. If that GL3 is one of the older models, they are a bit slower than the GLX's and you may have to go down a weight or two. At least Aaron has a few lines you could try with it. Otherwise you may end up buying the wrong line and have to buy a rod to match it. Which is cool if you are a rod/line whore like me.

4. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    It's an old one alright. My first 2 handed rod that I bought when I was 13. 9 years ago. Looks like that would be a very good idea to try some lines on it.
    Thanks for te reply's
    Chris