Line set-up for surf

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Mark Kulikov, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

I've been considering trying my luck on the surf. I've read much in the way of equipment etc. I have everything in order with the exception of information overload on the line/leader set-up. The surf zone that I would be looking at can get pretty heavy at times, with a strong cross current. I would assume that a heavy sinking line would be in order. I've read that the following is a decent set-up for getting the fly down, and keeping it down in the surf zone.
    30lb dacron backing/120ft of 25lb berkly iron silk for a running line and 24ft (appx) of Cortland LC-13 for a shooting head. (Length cut and test cast for desired results). I'm new to this shooting head, sink line technique. My rod is a 9ft 6wt. Am I in the ballpark, or is there something else that I should consider. Target species is Barred Perch and flatties.

2. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    I think you ought to look at a different line for a 6 weight than usinga head of LC-13. Pure shooting heads under 24' are difficult to cast. If it were a rod heavier than a 6, things would be different.

You might to check out a SA Streamer Express line.

3. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    ask the guys on fliflicker.com or garybulla.com
    They are probably more knowledgable about the cali stuff than we are up here in WA. When i was in school down there I used my Rio Versi-tip with a type 6 tip. It worked ok, but the surf wasnt huge. I would have prefered to use the andro. adv. line as there is no floating section.
    A good running line with a 350-400 gr head would also be an option if you want to make your own.

4. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    If you're looking for folks that are super savvy about heads, particularly LC-13, check out Dan Blanton's bulletin board.

5. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    I'd love to see you cast that set up on a six weight!

With stuff like DI-7 and other super fast sinking lines, a person can stay in their rod's design line weight and don't have to any more use those heavy heads to get down.

6. Ken Hunter

Ken Hunter Member

Mark,

I have to assume that you are going to fish the northwest coast. About the only thing to fish for in the surf is redtail surf perch. They are great little fish and are good on the table too.

If you have never fished in the surf, you are in for a surprise. Those waves will put you on your ass in a hurry. By the way, never turn your back on the ocean. A sneaker wave or maybe a log will do you in.

I would recomend a sinktip that you can cast well. The wind is always a problem. So much so that you may be forced to just to cast with the wind. That is not all bad. It will take your line a long ways. Don't fight it.

The fish are not out that far anyway. Find the flat spots in the water created by deeper water or just cast between breakers. The heavy water is turning up food for the perch. Try something weighted and orange.

7. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Yikes! If you flip that 6 wt over and turn it into a 9 it would cast a 400 pretty well.

8. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

Much appreciated. After consideration and advice from this and other boards, i've come to the following conclusion. I'll stick with a line designed for the 6wt for lighter surf.:thumb: Now I have an excuse for the wife, and supporting documentation, to buy a new 8 wt for the heavier surf.:D

Ken. Thanks for the info. I've gear fished the surf for many years. Morro Bay, Morro strand and as far north as Monterey. Barred Surf Perch and Halibut (Santa Barbara/Ventura Areas) are the primary targets in this area. You are correct when you say that most of the fish are not far away. I've watched gear guys with telephone poles throw out far beyond the breakers and catch little. I've learned through experience, that the bulk of the perch are 30 to 40 feet out in the breakers. Long cast are generally not necessary.

Thanks again guys. Now I'm off to buy a new rod.