Line suggestion for Lamiglass?

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Stevie, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Stevie New Member

Bluegene, OR
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Greetings,

I'd be curiuos to hear line suggestions for a Lamiglass 7.5 ft 4 wt. It is a 40 year old custom built rod.

[IMG]

I am fishing it with a wt forward line now, but I am thinking a double taper would be better? Suggestions?

I am new to the forum so if this topic has already been discussed please direct me to that thread.

Cheers, Stevie
  2. rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

Brownsville Oregon
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    Hello Stevie. Practice with the 4 wt forward. Likely that rod will handle a 5 wt as well if you have one. Does it say 4 wt on the rod? Wht is the length of the rod? DT vs WF is an old question with pros and cons for each. I use then both and really cannot tell the difference. What do you mean when you wrote that a double taper might be better?
    Paul
  3. Stevie New Member

Bluegene, OR
    Hey Paul

The rod does not have specs on it but it measures 7.5 feet and is probably a 4/5 wt.

I use it for small dries. With these slow soft rods do you find a particular line preferrable? I am efforting to slow down my stroke and cut down on tailing loops.

Thnx, S
  4. rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

Brownsville Oregon
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    Stevie, I use a variety of lines on my rods. I think it's more practice than what line a person uses. I practice quite a bit and when I find a sweet spot it sure feels great. FOr the first thirty feet or so the Dt and Wf lines are about the same.
  5. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +760 / 2
    I have many glass and cane rods myself, and as rockthief does, I use different lines on them. Sometimes I use different lines for the same rod depending on conditions.

The cool thing about glass rods is that they tend to be less finicky about line tapers and even weights. For example, I have a 6'0" Scott glass rod that they label a 1wt. No way - I use a 3wt line instead and it is fabulous for casts in the 10'-20' range under foliage canopies. One of my favorite glass rods is a Steffen 7'9" 5/6wt. I use a DT6 line for hoppers, a DT5 line for small dries, and an aggressive WF fly line from SA for streamers rated at 150 grains head weight to chuck heavy streamers in smaller streams. The rod is flawless with all three lines.

So my guess is that what you have is fine. You might even try both a 4wt and 5wt line in different situations (longer casting vs. shorter, respectively). You'll probably find both have their place with that rod.

Also, a note about Lami glass rods: The one you have pictured looks like an old model S-Glass rod. That will be a bit quicker than their current line of yellow E-Glass rods. Just keep in mind that if someone says they have a Lami, it may be quite different from yours.

In fact, I recommend you post your query and a few more photos to the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum: http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
  6. Stevie New Member

Bluegene, OR
    My thanks to you all for the assistance.

I am very much enjoying my glass rods.

S
  7. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    That piece of carbon weave you have the rod sitting on sure is sexy!