Line taper for 3wt glass

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jordan Simpson, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    Hey! I know, I know- it's been forever and I've been a ghost lately but I've been guiding up in the Haida Gwaii at Langara Fishing Lodge and our internet is very weather dependent, so checking in on here can be tough at the best of times.
    I'm home for a few days before heading back up until the middle of September and had a quick question:

On a 3wt glass rod (Redington Butter Stick), would one find a DT line better suited for the job than a WF?

I ask because there is a very small river that flows near us that is absolutely loaded with searun cutthroat and I want a fun light rod for it since the fish in there average between 6-12 inches.

Cheers and beers,

J

2. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:
  3. psycho

psycho Active Member

As posted DT, you will love it. I have them for all my rods 2 weight and under.:D

4. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

In my experience with many glass rods, whether a line is WF or DT makes little difference, and with a short 3wt it will make no difference. That's because a WF and DT of the same manufacturer's series will be the same for the first 30 or 40 feet. With glass, the thing to look for is how the first 30 feet or so tapers from tip to belly. Some fly lines taper to the fatter/heavier head quickly (Rio Gold), while others taper far more gradually (Rio LT, Wulff TT). Most likely you'll do well with an LT or TT. I use a Gold on a few rods where I need the rod to load super short, but for general use and especially dry flies, an LT or TT unroll most sweetly with most glass rods. Those lines roll cast really well too, FWIW.

Gary Knowels and Steve Unwin like this.