Lines for an Echo TR 7130

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Jason Chadick, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Jason Chadick

Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

Hey Gang,

I recently purchased an Echo TR 7130 and although I am a novice caster, I am halfway over the moon about how great this thing feels. I want to see if there is anyone else out there who is currently fishing this rod to see what lines they like on it. Right now I'm running a 550 grain Rio skagit flight on it, and it seems to load fine and chuck 10 feet of T-14 when I properly execute a cast, I am just curious to see what others like.

I am also curious about tips on this thing, and if I am overloading the rod (it doesn't seem like it, but like I said, I'm a novice). The grain window on the rod says 510-630, so if I'm running a 550 head and 10 feet on t-14 (140 grains) I'm technically trying to throw 690 grains on this thing, is that too much?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jason

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I had this rod for a while. Really didn't suit my style of casting, but definitely nothing wrong with them. At 550gr on that one, I think you're definitely on the high end, especially if you want to throw T-14. I'd be down around 500-525 or so on it. I think you'll find it to cast quite a bit better with the lighter load.

3. Jason Chadick

Thanks Evan. I think I might try something a little lighter with my next line purchase to see if that helps my consistency. The rod will cast the 550 and the tip pretty dang far, but I feel like my technique needs to be close to flawless for it to do so. On the Echo website it says that a 570 compact is appropriate, but they might not be considering tips then?

4. k2flyfisher

k2flyfisher its taco time. wheres the sauce?

Media:
    Home Page:
    first off, congrats on your entry into the two handed arena, your enthusiasm is great to see.

the echo website tends to recommend a bit on the heavy side, but youre correct, they dont factor tips into that, just the weight of the head...which is what i use to determine what the rod will feel like when casting.

regarding what tips to throw, skagit lines were pretty much designed to throw tips like t-14, so the 10' or so is well within the line's job description. i personally dont factor in the tip weight into my choice of what weight head to choose for the rod, but more so the size/weight/air resistance of the fly im throwing first, and then work backward from that.

I have found many of my friends who have this rod and myself included like it with a 510 airflo compact skagit, and a 480 scandi style line for small fly work. to me, it allows more of the rods personality to show through. the 550 flight should work just fine as well, but your technique is what will make that line sail, not just the rod ;-)

contrary to what may be said about skagit heads being just "lob lines", there is a balance in the grain window that allows you to feel less like youre lobbing and more like youre casting, and i feel that for that particular rod, its around 480-510 grains. :thumb:

5. smole

smole Member

Media:
    I may be in the minority here, but with my casting style and improving technique, I like this rod paired with a 450 grain Rio Skagit Flight. Both the Rio Flight and 450 grain Airflo Compact Skagit performed well with up to 10 feet of T-14. I thought the Ariflo was better at chucking big flies, while the Rio Flight was smoother and offered a "fun" factor that seemed to fit my fishing style and preference for working smaller flies.

6. tannman

tannman New Member

This is my first full sized two handed rod and the 510 airflo compact skagit works just fine for me. I was throwing 10' t-12 and 12' t-8 and it felt easy enough to cast (when I lined everything up right). The other day I was using 12' of t-14 and weighted fly, The 510 gr head just pulled out with serious power and a tight loop. best of luck finding your perfect match, hope it doesn't put your account in the red before you find it.

7. Jason Chadick

Thanks for the input. It sounds like I should bring it down to about 510 grains for the tips I'm throwing. Like I said, right now the 550 is doing the job, it just feels a bit clunky and somewhat unpredictable, not as fun I guess. It would probably be better for the rod if I toned it down a bit as well.

Cheers,

Jason

8. Jason Chadick

Well, I picked up the Airflo Skagit Compact 510gr. Haven't casted it on the water yet but took it to the grass a couple times over the past two days. Think I may have found the winner, if it feels as good on the water as it did in the outfield the search may be over. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Jason

9. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

510 gr should work.... I have a redington 7 wt that I use a 500 gr skagit head on it and it gets it done