Lines for E.WA lakes?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Dave Evans, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +98 / 0
    I have been watching the threads on the new Rio sinking line and the intermediate lines. I have only been fishing the lakes in E.WA. the past few years, and only with floating lines. Want to get a sinking line for this year, and am curious what others are using for sinking lines on Amber and the lakes around Spokane, and the lakes over in the basin. Brands are great, but looking more at sink rate.
  2. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    I almost exclusively use the Scientific Anglers Stillwater line for all my fishing, which sinks 1.25"-2" per second. It's a little more spendy, but I think it's worth it. It's a great all-around lake line, and it really makes a difference in clear and calm conditions. I'll be using it over on the east side lakes when the time comes.

I have a 9'6" 6wt that I use to throw my line, and I usually fish from a tube.
  3. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    Dave, I hope you aren't the guy I met on McDowell a couple of years ago who was fishing the lake when I arrived. I put in, fished for a couple of hours then went to shore for a sandwich break. I asked him how he was doing and he said he had caught two. I had landed 17 fish by that time so I asked him what kind of line he was using-he said a floater. I explained to him that unless there was a significant hatch going on he was probably doomed to only the occasional fish with the floating line.

I'll always have a dry line with me but if I was going to be confined to only one other line it would have to be an intermediate. It won't get down deep without an interminable wait but most lakes have some shallower areas where it can be super effective. I would start with an intermediate and get used to it, your catch rate will probably improve measurably. Later when you are fishing your intermediate with a friend who is using a full sink Type V, Type VI or VII and he is outcatching you 4:1 you'll start to feel the need for another line. But I can just about guarantee that he will have an intermediate in his quiver as well.

Ive
  4. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +959 / 1
    I mostly use a floater and an intermediate for my main two lines. I don't think I used a sinker (type 2 and beyond) at all last year.
  5. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    I'm considering a new sinking line, but I know I'll rarely use it. Truth is I believe in the power of the floating line and an indicator. Vertical zonal presentations work amazingly once your in tune with how to zero in a bite. With that though, I do fish a clear intermediate with success when not indicatoring.
  6. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    I use an intermediate (Rio Hover) probably 40%, floater rigged with an indicator 40% and type V sinker 20%. I used to live in Spokane and fished Amber, Medical, and Sprague pretty regularly. Indicator presentations were most productive on all three. I did well on Sprague with my intermediate but Amber and Medical are deep so I fished my Type V quite a bit.

A floater rigged with an indicator is a versatile setup. I fish from 1-20' down. Getting comfortable hanging bugs to reach a specific depth and keeping your offering in the feeding zone is a big part of the stillwater game. Sinking lines do that as well but it's a totally different presentation. Gotta do both to be consistently effective.
  7. Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

Enumclaw, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Not all the lakes are shallow and not all are deep, but some are and you need a way to get your fly "there. Not all the bugs are shallow and not all the bugs are deep, but some are and you need a way to get your bug where the bugs are.

A good inventory has a floater, intermediate and sinking line. My personal preference is for a pretty sinking sinker. I like type IV. I can get to the 8-12 foot range easily and down to about 20 if needed. You can go slow to go deep and faster/shorter to stay shallower. A lot of fish live there.

As Ive says, just fishing the first couple of feet of depth doesn't often get your bug to where the fish are. You have to use Yogi Berra's advice to figure out where the fish are. If there is no surface activity, go down... Yogi said, "You can see a lot just by observing."
  8. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +98 / 0
    No, not me! I have never fished McDowell.
  9. Strike Zone Member

Castle Rock, Wash.
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    Dave:

Just my 2 cents-- I use a type 6 extra hi-density sinker 80 %of the time. 10 % is a clear intermediate and the other 10% is a floater if the fish are feeding on top.
    Denny
  10. Irafly Active Member

Again, I effectively fish up to 25' of water with a floater and an indicator, but for those rare times that fish are zonal and more reactive than natural an intermediate does most of my damage. From there though, past 25' I like my sinker, but I just don't find many occasions where the fish are active past 25'.

Ira..
  11. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    Dave -

I don't get over to the east side to fish lakes much, but fish the wet side lakes quite a bit. I usually carry two rods, one with a type III sinker and the other with a floater. I also have a clear intermediate, but for some reason I don't use it as much. I've tried a type VI and didn't care for how it cast and how fast it sank. I guess I don't figure I can carry three rods in my tube and I like having a floater along in the event that there are rising fish. Also, some of my favorite lakes are pretty shallow. Casting into lily pads and reeds and over shallow weed beds can be done perfectly well with a floating line and a long leader.

Dick
  12. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Ok; stupid question: you're swinging what? A weighted fly with an indicator?
    Whats that like to cast? Must be a different game than casting a dry fly?
  13. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +343 / 3
    A floater a 3ips and a 6ips or 7ips minimum.
    I have a floater, a hover, a 1.5ips a 4ips a 6ips and a 7ips. If there is some thing else out there I will probably buy it too.:rolleyes:
    jesse
    troutpocket likes this.
  14. Irafly Active Member

Bradley, I do use tungsten beaded flies to hang under an indicator to help them sink. I do not use a swivel or split shot though because fish will attempt to eat both.

Yes it can be an interesting set up to cast at high depths but the deeper the depth the less you have to cast. I have developed a casting stroke though that allows me at least 40' foot or more distance for when I good a good wind chop to work with.

I use any pattern that anyone else would use only modified to sit more horizontal versus vertical.
  15. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    As far as lines go whether on the west or east side, having multiple lines gives you a advantage. I like to rig up two floaters, an intermediate and a full sink.
    I'll use one of the floaters for dry fly fishing and the other for fishing chironomids. If the dry game isn't happening, I can turn the other floater into another chironomid set-up. One for fishing deep at 20+ feet and another for fishing shallow.
    I like to have two full sink types spooled up, generally a type III and a VI. I'll start with the III and move to the VI when needed.
    I feel with these different set-ups I can cover pretty much any situation encounter.
    SF
  16. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +202 / 0
    Dave Evans likes this.
  17. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    I read the book and promptly ordered a SA Type V line! That was before I saw the post on the new Rio line! Thinking of breaking it in at Pass soon! Rick
  18. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1
    Saturday forecast is looking good...;)
  19. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    I have a dinner that night, but I think that would work for me. It gets dark early enough that I can fish most of the day anyway. Lets try for that. Rick
  20. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    Scott, Susie ordered that book for me today, she found it on my wish list at Amazon and made my wish come true. I am anxious to read Tim's book to see what his take on fast sinking lines is. I have been a fast sink advocate for decades now, my first was a Hi_Speed/Hi-D line bought back in the '80's. I am a little surprised that so many guys have been late to the full sink party. There are just times and places where a mere intermediate is never going to get it done. In some of the deep desert lakes I start out with a Deep7 nowadays and work up rather than start with a slow sinker and work down. It's hard to argue with success.

Ive