Lines for E.WA lakes?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Dave Evans, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    Thanks everyone. Some great advice. Sounds like I need to figure out how to attach an extra rod to my float tube. Also bought the book Scott recommended. I picked up the Lake Fly Fishing Manifesto (http://www.amazon.com/Lake-Fly-Fishing-Manifesto-Mike-Croft/dp/1571884106) last year at the FFF in Spokane. Very similar to the original manifesto, fun with lots of good hints.

2. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ive:

I use a Type VI on most trips, unless I am really fishing shallow. You'll get some good info from the book.

Scott

3. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    I just received my copy and am reading it. Very well thought-out and written! The original articles convinced me to buy a type V sinker and I'm really enjoying reviewing the good information.

4. bimini twist

bimini twist New Member

If the goal is to get to the bottom, why not go with a Type VII, rather than a V or a VI, so you get there faster?

Cheers,
    Bryan

5. troutpocket

Media:
    Depends where the bottom is (depth) and your approach to fishing deep. I'm comfortable casting and stripping bugs down to 15' or so and my type V gets it done in that zone. If I need to go deeper than that, I rely on electronics to find specific features in the lake that may be holding fish and then target them with a vertical presentation. Again, my type V gets it done. Others play the game differently and wouldn't be without a type VI or VII.

6. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

BT - Most of the basin lakes aren't that deep. Fishing a Type VII would not allow you to hit the shallower areas, shoals - drop offs. A little patience and at Type IV / V would work well.

Not sure what lakes you are fishing out of PTL.

7. bimini twist

bimini twist New Member

So, when fishing a sinking line, say a Type IV or heavier, are you fishing it "on the drop" with a retrieve so that it really doesn't get to the bottom, or letting it get to the bottom and then retrieving it (or both)?

If the latter, it would seem beneficial to have it get there ASAP, even it was in shallow water.

If the former, I can see why having it get to the bottom too fast (i.e. in shallow water), would thus shorten the "drop time" and the retrieve time.

Cheers,

Bryan

8. troutpocket

Media:
    Getting your fly line "on the bottom" is often a recipe for fouled flies at the least and hopelessly snagged up in stumps/boulders at the worst. There are exceptions but generally the trick with choosing a sinking line is matching the sink rate to reaching the depth you want to pull your flies through. That can can be anywhere from just off the bottom to just under the surface. You can count down from when the line starts to sink to when it's getting close to your target zone. It's pretty common to gauge whether you are getting near the bottom by the amount of weeds/leaves/sticks that come back on your fly at the end of the retrieve. Another use for a fast sinking line is hanging it straight down from the boat. In that case minimizing the "drop time" makes sense.

Irafly likes this.
  9. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

have used a floater/type 3/type 5 or 6 for years. but you guys got me thinking about the Intermediate line.