Lines that aren't skagits...what do you use?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman65, Apr 21, 2011.

1. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    Since it got started and since I'm am starting to pull off the skagits, thought this is a good discussion on some of the lines out there that will throw from small to just about everything but the big heavy junk effectively and NOT a skagit..

Rods and lengths aside as skill level will dictate with some how long etc. they can use...

to start:

The good old delta....this is a sweet line still and with tips can throw out decent sized flies...might not be the tightest loop caster in the bunch but is still one of the best all around fishing lines...I don't like the running line on these as they are to fat IMHO and take away some of the casting distance..I have one on my 13' rod now and forgot how much fun it is to fish after a winter with the skagit...

Nextcast fall favorite..(head only) I say head only as the complete line was IMHO horrible in that there was no color change from line to head which meant you had to mark it yourself somehow..(felt pen) the running line was fat and too short..they have corrected this by making the head..Originally I used it as my dry fly or grease line last year...bombs line with tight loops so good in the wind...no loops, Now I've seen them with a removable 5' or so floater and tips (light like delta or lighter rio's can be added) think this might be my new all around everything line...comes in 45 and 70'
    (as an aside, I used the 6/7 45' on my 14' 6/7 mks and it was amazing)

Airflo compact scandi's....I love these lines as well...great for smaller to some medium sized flies..you CAN order them heavier in the skagit range and they will take tips with some cutting back etc. but for normal use true pleasures to cast and with polyleaders or mono...a good choice for most smaller stuff..

I'll stop here and let anyone else add their choices or thoughts..there are a buttload of new lines etc. out there..interested in hearing what you guys are using, chopping, finding that work ???
  2. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,617 / 0
    Other than Skagit? Traditional double taper fly lines. Short head Spey lines - I bought a bunch of Orvis on closeout a few years back, so I have them from size 6 to 12, most of them to chop up and play around with. I've got this Airflow 8 wt Spey line, that's all it says on it, plus some tips. I think it's a basic short head Spey. Then I've got a couple Windcutters and an Accelerator - older lines that came with some like-new Hardy reels I bought. I've got Spey lines I surely don't know what to do with.

As for work, they all work. My favorite style is a short head Spey in all floating, minimal amount of stripping and cast as close to elegantly as I can Spey cast.

Sg
  3. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +133 / 0
    Yup, the Accelerator handles tips nice, at least if you cut it back at the hinge. And I got a 5/6 vector this winter and it's a gem. I was very surprised that it easily threw 10 ft. of Z8 and a 3 inch leech with no trouble. Very capable line.
  4. golfman65 Guest

Brady, you used tips on your vector? Did you cut it back and tip it? Damn, that is also one of my new fav's. very interesting that!!!

I'm bastardizing my old windcutters and delta's for tips to put on the Fall Favorite and I'll wait to hear what you say Brady for the vector as well....
  5. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +133 / 0
    Yeah, the first few outings I stuck with polyleaders, intermediate and fast sink, and it really sung. Easy to fish with and a joy to cast. Last time out I figured I would try a piece of zinc tip, and while not as perfectly pretty as the polyleader, it still turned it nice. No cutting, straight off the full line. If you wanted to go longer than 10 feet and heavier than Z8 or T8 than maybe it would benifit from a little snip. But maybe the bigger vectors can handle bigger tips,...mine was the 5/6 on a 12'6" 5/6/7 Highlander
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Delta. Delta long if I'm feeling like being tangled up. Scandi heads.
  7. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    I really like the new airflo tactical steelhead line. It throws tips and larger flies great.
  8. Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Slacking in Mill Creek
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    That airflo tactical steelhead line is the cat's meow if short, non-skagit lines are your thing! The 9 weight on the ARC-1509 or LS2-1509 or the Winston 15' 8/9 is just friggin' sweet!!!! The 7 weight on the 7wt echo2 rod is slick too. I like that line better than the regular delta now. You can interchange the tips and it'll turn over anything.

I fished my buddy's Guideline DDC with the intermediate head and sink tips this winter for a weekend and it was pretty sweet on an LS2-1408 once I figured out how to get the line out of the water and that I had to mend it quickly before the head sank below the surface. It cast some tight loops with big flies which surprised me.

I have an Ace Vision shooting head that is pretty nice on an echo2 9wt...although it won't turn over the heavy stuff very well.

95% of the time no matter what time of the year it is, I'm fishing either the CND GPS or the SA XLT on a 15' or 16' rod. I love those long bellies and long rods...who wants to manage all of the shooting line??? And I feel like I can control the swing of my fly a lot better because its easier to mend that long belly right where you want to in order to slow it way down or speed it up with out pulling your fly back to the surface.

Christian
  9. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    I only own one skagit line . It helps that I don`t have a winter steel river with-in 3 hours of home . Even when the T is open in Dec. , a type 3 is about as heavy tip as you`ll need .

Lines I own and like are the Delta , Delta Long , SA Shorthead , SA Classic , SA XLT , a few Windcutters , Grandspey , an old Beulah long belly line (that rocks) , Snowbee 2d ,a DT, and a bucket full of scandi heads .

Don`t use the Windcutters too much anymore.
  10. Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

do'n it 4 the chinookie
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Delta's are SUPER all around fishing lines and turn over some surprisingly big stuff very well if you adjust as a caster in stroke and timing and line stick out ...Windcutters, a close second...
  11. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Leroy, we've been missing our flag ship "passive aggressive guy." Welcome. And please, don't send me a PM saying your "Just kidding," or "Don't take me seriously." That's what makes passive agressive- passive aggressive.
  12. stewart dee Guest

You guys?

Best in class??? A Rio Double taper = GRANDSPEY!
  13. Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

do'n it 4 the chinookie
    Jeez yer a sensative fella-:rofl: You got the wrong thread Man , yours is the "Everyone agree with me about my longerbellie line or I'll be pissed thread" ... Nice psych lesson though, ya got me dialed !
  14. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    I know I do. Sorry about posting to the wrong thread.
  15. golfman65 Guest

I need to check my vector...anyone put delta tips on the tactical steelhead line? how that work..
  16. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    For Scandi heads (I really don't like the short Skagits, just isn't my 'style') the ACE visions or the RIO AFS heads for Scandi's. For a full on dry line ... NOTHING is as sweet as a Carron dry lines out of the UK. 99% of you folk have never seen one, let alone cast one. But this is a just take my word for it, there is nothing that compares that I've ever used. Poppy/Mike at RedShed carries them as of the end of this month.

They don't just 'cast,' the line floats in the air. Think about that, not a zing, zowwie, woozer, Lordie look at that go, etc., the line just floats out as far as you can cast. An amazing line to cast. As several of the top long line competition casters, out of the UK, use these as 'their line of choice' I can understand why.

fae
  17. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    I have even put twelve feet of t-8 on it turns over with tight loop.
  18. Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

do'n it 4 the chinookie
    12' t-8 and a med. dumbell eye stinger fly, 'bout max for my novice casting skills to this point, but it will fish it-
  19. Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Ellensburg, Washington
    I have allways liked a 31-32 ft belly for my spey rods and can't seem to make myself like the skagit shorts for anything other than blasting out uncontrolable casts. Recently I have been using more switch rods and have found that the 425 outbound will cast on most 7 wt switch rods and will do fine with small wt tips. Another line that is making headway in my arsonal is the switch line by rio, it actaully floats for a while and will throw a great dry line swing right out of the box, has NO loops to mess with the close in stuff and even nymphs ok if your into that kind of thing.
    But for the bread and butter sink tipping I have yet to find anything that actually out FISHES the standard Skagit style by any manufacture as long as it has no back loops, maybe out throws but not out fishes!
  20. T Dave Member

Kelowna
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Golfy, I keep seeing the claim made "Deltas don't form tight loops etc, or as tight as others..." Not sure where that comes from, but it's just not true. Makes no sense. Casting mechanics dictate loop formation.

You can form nice tight loops with Deltas (if that's important to you) and turn over big bugs too. They do it all well.