lineX on the bottom of a driftboat?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Clint F, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Joshw

Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Media:
    Jim,

Your boat looks awesome! If you need some more epoxy take a look at RAKA epoxy which is about half the price of West System.

Josh

2. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Josh, 'preciate it. The West System epoxy and graphite, some marine grade paint and a few other odds and ends came along with the boat. I'll have to look into the RAKA brand as you suggested when I run out.

3. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks for the help. Does anyone know if Glovit will stick well to smooth linex? I want to spray it on once and not worry about it. But wouldnt mind putting some glovit on once a year. to make it a little slicker.

Clint

4. Joshw

Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Media:
    I have not heard of any wooden boat builders putting gluv-it on the bottom of any of there boats. The majority of the stitch and glue builders either do a graphite/epoxy bottom or linex. There is no need to coat a truck bed liner with another truck bed liner....spray it once with linex and don't worry about it.

Josh

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Josh, it was a standard for most of the homegrown builders here in the NW. Almost all the guys I knew, used gluvit. But was a sealant used on their deep V boats. But all gluvit is, is an epoxy sealer. It's no different then the graphite/epoxy bottom, just that graphite is put into the mix to help make the bottom smoother then it was with epoxy. But all gluvit was originally was an agent to help seal up cracks and damage in fiberglass boats.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh, and I should say, alot of the guys who were building driftboats back then (70's and 80's) were using it, or a product like it. But they were using it for sure on their deep V puget sound boats.

7. Joshw

Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Media:
    I was thinking gluvit was similar to a truck bed liner...I stand corrected. Still there is no need to put gluvit over linex...linex it, forget about it and most of all enjoy the boat!!

Josh

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    No. And I'd suggest if lineX of any sort (rhino lining, etc) is used, have it professionally done. The "in the can" roll on types aren't nearly as good. Great for inside the boats, but heavy wear of the bottoms and they'll come off.

9. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks for the help everyone. I will have my dads buddy spray it, then I will forget about it.

Clint