Ling Cod Recipes?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by yellowlab, May 16, 2010.

1. We went out to MA1234567890 for some Ling action on the fly. Anyone know of any good recipes?????? Largest fish of the day was a 52" Leviathan weighing close to 15 lbs, not pictured... Yes, that is a rockfish in the gullet of that bad boy Ling.

2. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Thats too cool man! PM me the details brother!

3. This one took a while to figure out, and not willing to give up my secrets, even with my WFF brotheren... maybe someday, when I deem you are fit for the the Ling mind trick young Jedi knight...

4. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

well for not wanting to give up details you did give away alot of information. best ling recipe i know of is to beat an egg or 2 depending on how much you plan to cook, put a little bit of salt in the egg, dip the fish chunk in the egg(2 inch by 4-6 inchs) and then put it in panko bread crumbs. cook the fish in a pan with some hot oil. tastyyyyy

5. Thanks, will have to try that out. Its coming out too tough, prob. overcooking it. I am going to try poaching it and making a Chinese ginger, garlic and green onion fish sauce to sear it with.

6. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Its all good paul. Plannin on giving it a shot this weekend, if i can pull myself off the bass

7. flyindaeye

flyindaeye Member

FYI: Setting the record straight, that big one was mine! Paul tied the fly and took me out but it was my skills (haha) that brought in that big one! hahaha.....it was an awesome day and all thanks to Paulie!

8. All your skillz are due to my sweet guiding instruction. The student learned from the teacher, how to cast, how to tie a knot, how to hookset and land a fish. Damn, I was even netting the fish and un-hooking them for you and driving the boat! If I had more time on the water, I would've landed that big Mama fish. I'll remember your skillz the next Im out rippin' em and you're snoring away in your comfy bed. I especially liked that look on your face when I made my first cast and landed the first Ling, classic.

9. flyindaeye

flyindaeye Member

But who caught the first fish of the day on the first cast of the day? hmmmmm.....hahaha

Good times! Paul is an awesome guide and teacher....just watch out for his weighted flies flying thru the air...hence my moniker "flyindaeye" hahahaha..j/k.

10. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    that fish eye pic is awesome!! nice work on the lings!

Grill em up with some butter, garlic, lemon, lemon zest, salt, pepper, paprika, and some fresh parmesean. very good! Also, cajun style blackened ling is excellet too!

11. Steamed some up last night Chinese style, it was cosmic! Going to try deep frying some more tonite!

12. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    Beer Batter as follows:

'bout half an Alaskan IPA
    Some dry Pancake Batter
    A bit of cornmeal (for crunch)
    1 egg
    some cayanne pepper

Cut ling into chunks dip and deep fry
    Serve with beer battered onion rings and fries...

Drink Beer

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Sometimes you make a lot of sense!

14. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    Dude, have you seen what I look like? I know how to eat!

15. Mayfly Aviator

Mayfly Aviator Active Member

Media:
    Paul - Saw the pics on Moldy Chum. Nice job.

16. Thanks Sam, WFF'rs, go to Moldychum.com and vote for the slab of the month... Ling Cod on the Fly Rod!

17. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

if your going to poach it, may i suggest a pressure cooker. ive never had anything come out tough from a pressure cooker :)

18. clausbelly

clausbelly New Member

If ling cod is handled on the deck correctly it doesnt much matter how it's cooked, it's awesome! In fact with both lings and Halibut I like to get my first taste on the water sushi style yummy! Many times I have heard of people cutting their line to release them as they did not want to touch them.

19. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Yeah, worms are tasty.

20. Ron Olsen

Ron Olsen Active Member

We cube the fish, than marinate in olive oil with salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, garlic, and oregano. A few hours works best. Then cut up colored peppers (light oil/salt coating also) and shish kebab the lot. A few brats mixed in are good also. About four minutes on a side with a well oiled and very hot grill is all it takes, and it won’t overcook. A lighter Pinot or NZ Sauvignon Blanc to accompany.
    Ronbow