Ling Flies - Colors

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by GLSteel, Mar 12, 2014.

1. GLSteel

GLSteel New Member

Hey Guys,
    Going to be doing some fly fishing for ling cod this summer. I've never done it before and was looking for some advice as to which colour combinations I should tie my ling patterns in. So far it looks as though a tan/black combo is a popular one? Any insight would be very helpful!

Thanks

2. rotato

rotato Active Member

Yak hair greenling patterns
    Purple bunny leach with rubber legs
    Getting stoked

stilly stalker likes this.
  3. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows The Thought Train

i've always like orange/yellow combinations but that has more to do with my confidence than anything else.

make em' big and with lots of movement, get them near a rocky bottom, and hang on. color probably matters the least out of all of the factors (weather, tides, knowing where to find em').

4. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

if its BIG. a ling will slam it
    Yellow/white
    black/purple
    orange/black ( probably looks tan/black underwater)
    olive/black

flash, rubberlegs, BIG YELLOW EYES

5. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Although my fly fishing for lings is limited. Swim baits in White have proven very productive over the years in 20-50 foot depths

6. GLSteel

GLSteel New Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Are you guys tying these flies with tandem hooks? or do ling usually hit the head of the fly?

Thanks again,

7. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

I was worried about short strikes until I hooked a couple of fish, don't worry about it, no such thing with lingcod. And I'm pretty sure you can only use a single barbless hook in Puget sound.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

8. Chris Bellows

Tandem hooks damage fish in my experience... I would avoid them or cut the front one off.

9. GLSteel

GLSteel New Member

I'll avoid the tandem hooks then, just figured short strikes might become an issue with 6-10in flies and only a hook up front.

10. stilly stalker

Make the hook mid length. Have a few inches of tail behind the hook

GLSteel likes this.
  11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Big flies. Big eyes. Add a rattle.

flybill likes this.
  12. Lings will try and eat entire rockfish when you're stripping them in. Short strike aren't generally a problem.

13. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

You most likely don't need tandem hooks. The Ling Cod sucks everything into that huge mouth and won't let go until it breaks the surface. Last Ling I caught was 37" long and had a black rockfish in it's belly with my hook in its mouth. The ling took the fish rather than the hook, no B.S. It was the strangest thing I've ever seen... out fishing.

wadin' boot likes this.
  14. Chris Bellows

make sure to have a net just in case.... if their head's stay under water they will likely hang on regardless of being hooked and can be landed with a quick scoop.

Ed Call and Stonefish like this.
  15. GLSteel

GLSteel New Member

Hey,
    took all your comments into consideration, thanks for the tips. Just whipped this up - comments and critiques please!

Used a size 1 daiichi octopus as a stinger, and a shank up front. Lots of weight, fly is about 7 inches long. Used buck tail as I don't have any yak.

[​IMG]

16. stilly stalker

Looks good!

17. pbunbury

pbunbury Tights Lines

My .02, bigger hook and bigger fly. Don't waste time with a stinger hook. I use 4/0 streamer hooks and I fish flies that are 10+ inches, no need to worry about short strikes. Lings inhale the entire fly. You won't ever be left wondering if you had a strike, you'll know...then just hold on tight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GLSteel likes this.
  18. GLSteel

GLSteel New Member

Thanks for your input - I'll be sure to upsize in the future

19. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Very nice looking fly but I agree with pbunny. No need for the stinger and make it bigger. That fly, however looks as though it would be a killer Tuna fly.

20. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Just measured my ling flies (all on single hooks). On the smaller patterns the fly extended 4 inch beyond the hook and on the large flies more than 8 inches. In more than 25 years of chasing lings with flies I can not recall a single take that I thought I missed due to a lack of a trailer hook. A big advantage of fishing without a trailer hook is that you will greatly reduce the incidental by-catch of the protected rockfish (especially the smaller fish).

GLSteed -
    That fly will fish. Lings are very toothy critters that will shred your flies. By using yak hair and Kevlar thread you can extend your fly life though expect to go through several flies during a good day of fishing. I think my personal record is 22 lings on a single fly before it was destroyed however any fly that is still fishing after 5 o r 6 fish is a winner. Also consider using a "bite leader" of a foot or so. I usually fish 15# or 20# leaders with 40 or 50# Ultra Green "bite leaders". While it is matter of personal taste none of flies in my ling box is weighted and even the largest (a foot long) can be casted 70 feet with an 8 weight. When combined with the appropriate lines I have never had a difficult time reaching the fish with those unweighted flies (at least down to 45 feet or so).

Curt

Porter, Jeff Dodd and pbunbury like this.