Ling Flies - Colors

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by GLSteel, Mar 12, 2014.

1. pbunbury

pbunbury Tights Lines

Here's a size comparison for you. The smaller hook is a Size 1 Octopus, the larger hook is what I use for Lingcod.

Attached Files:

2. Jered

Jered Active Member

Wait! What!?

There's Lingcod out there to be caught on flies!?

I'll scourer through the old posts and see what I can learn.

This sounds fun.

Jered

3. GLSteel

GLSteel New Member

Wow that much bigger, okay. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some hooks that big

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Bigger! You need it to depth fast. Use bunny strips for heavy dubbing. Make it bushier, the size of your hand or larger. Those bottom fish are mean fish engulfers. Throw EM some meat!

Porter, GLSteel and Nick Clayton like this.
  5. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

The deeper that you fish the less light that enters the water, and the color spectrum narrows too. So you might consider reading this book: "What Fish See." It's an eye opener. Generally the fluorescent colors reflect more light. And red in particular is said to reflect light deeper, and be most effective at the greater depths. One fly that I have always liked for ground fishing is Ed Givens Barred & Black. And for deeper fishing I will add red grizzly hackle and red flashabou and red eyes and a red collar.

6. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Go
    Roger that - red will get tossed this year!... To the fish that is. ;)

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I gear fish for 'em with huge white twirl tail grubs on 2 oz jigheads, and 6" or bigger holographic swim-baits. I'm a natural born heathen!

8. a_fors

a_fors Active Member

I guide in the San Juans and in area 7 you can fish a treble for lings, and I'm pretty sure the same is true in all marine areas in washington. This is straight from a game wardens mouth.

9. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Puget Sound = single, barbless hooks for all species unless the regs have changed for this year.. That means even bullheads.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  10. Bob Triggs

Even if treble hooks were legal in this circumstance I would not use them. Single barbless hooks are proven to be less injurious to protected species. And with slot limits on ground fish you need to be just as careful with your hooks and lures as you are with the steelhead or salmon or cutthroat that you have to release.

Jim Wallace and Jeff Dodd like this.
  11. a_fors

a_fors Active Member

Here is a picture of page 100 in the pamphlet. You can see that salmon is specified as single point barbless. Bottom fish (lings) and halibut do don't specify that. All must be barbless image.jpg

Bob Triggs likes this.
  12. Jim Wallace

In my experience, a single hook will be just as effective as a treble hook when fishing for Ling Cod. They don't mess around when they go after your lure. They practically inhale the thing. I never use treble hooks any more, in any of my fishing. A single hook is easier to unhook, especially if you need to get it out of a Ling's gill rakers. That is for when you need to release an under sized Ling, or want to release a large female (there's no slot limit here on the coast). Way back when (mid 80's), I used a large Buzz Bomb with a treble a few times here on the coast, since that hook came with the lure. I don't use the buzz bomb any more.

13. Jim Wallace

One would think, that being a guide, you'd want to educate your guests in this matter. But, I assume you must be tempted to give your guests whatever perceived advantage that you can, since you need to have them catch a fish. I suppose a treble hook might give some person who doesn't know how to fish a bit of an advantage, but I'm not so sure about that.

14. GLSteel

GLSteel New Member

Hey guys, I will not be fishing in puget sound and I know the regs for where I will be fishing, but thanks for the insight into hook regulations. This thread has been really helpful with lots of good tips, but it is starting to get off track. If anyone has any other tips related to ling flies specifically I will definitely put them to good use.

Thanks

15. Bob Triggs

I believe that this is incorrect.

"Marine Area Rules, Tackle & Gear Rules" :

http:www.wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01500/2013-2014_marine_saltwater.pdf

"Unless noted differently, only one line with up to 2 hooks is allowed.
    Barbless hooks are required for all species in Marine Areas 5-13
    except forage fish jig gear".

The pages for Marine Area #7 show no other notations on hooks.

Am I reading this wrongly?

16. theunderstudy

theunderstudy New Member

I've been fishing for lingcod for many years, mostly conventional tackle with big swim baits, plastics, etc. On fly just like a few posts above greenling patterns with yak hair work well. I've had success with them. I've also had success with any BIG bait pattern with white, green, and even some blue in them.

As stated above, anything big and ugly will get their attention. I watch the tide and only hit it at certain points for lingcod.
    Season is getting closer woot.

17. GLSteel

GLSteel New Member

Thanks for the tips - ordering some yak hair asap. How does the tide affect the fishing in your experience?

18. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

In my experience lings are more active/aggressive with larger currents/tide changes. In those conditions the fish seem to be on "point" and more likely to forage away from their "hidey holes". AT more benign conditions the fish seem to hold tighter to cover and are less apt to chase our flies. It often boils down to a balancing act of being able to reaching the fish and the most aggressive bite conditions.

Given the choice I prefer an incoming tide; the bigger the better with the best fishing has been coming off a minus low. That of course assumes that you can still reach the desire depth. Under those conditions no or limited winds are an must.

Curtr

19. theunderstudy

theunderstudy New Member

Ditto to Smalma. I've experienced the fish leaving the rocks or cover and heading out to deeper water. Once the tide starts coming back in they had back to cover and it makes for great opportunities for us. If you can hit an incoming tide, you'll be successful.