Ling Flies?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Connor H, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    As I look forward to a great year, I see the new lakes I will fish for bass, the small desert creeks I will hike miles and miles to, and the upcoming Ling Cod outings! I have never done it before but I now know what to do and where to go. I have run into one problem! I don't know what flies to throw\tie! Can someone give me a few insights on what to tie this spring?

Tight Lines,

Connor Hankinson

:thumb:
  2. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    big, white, glo in the dark... I hooked one on a size 5/0 white deciver with lead eyes some glo bug yarn in the tail and some white everglow as the wing. Worked great for blackrockfish too

you can kinda see the fly in this picture
    [IMG]

might use more synthetics next time. Don't worry about making your flies too big, saltwater fish have big mouths.

Post pics
  3. mrgando Member

Santiago, Chile
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    What kind of line did you use there ? And rod weight ? , I guess that's a fish that lives very near the bottom in the rocks right ?

Oh did you cast to it ? or you where trolling ?

Thanks for sharing a pict!
  4. Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Ellensburg, WA
    Very Nice APM,

I really want to get into the whole Ling thing! I will start tyin' up some NASTY flies now that I know what I'm lookin' for...

P.S.- What am I trying to imitate?
  5. mrgando Member

Santiago, Chile
    @Connor H: If powder monkey used deceivers, you should be trying to imitate bait fish :) , sardines, or stuff like that.

Good luck...

PS : Could anyone answer my questions above ? :p
  6. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +530 / 0
  7. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +716 / 0
    Conner -
    For lings I usually fish big flies (mostly 6 to 12 inch)that I tie myself with Yak hair being the main material. I tie my flies on 4/0 Siwash Gamakatsu hooks using various colors of Yak hair for the wing/tail material. For the wing I tie in the Yak hair just above the hook bend (resulting in a wing/tail that doesn't tangle) with a collar of deer hair and a spun deer hair head. I typically use combinations of white, blue, charteuse, black, brown, and orange with my go to colors being charteuse over white. The idea is to suggest baitfish, small rockfish, etc.

The resulting flies are unweighted allowing them to hover above the bottom reducing snagging while having a sexy movements. I usually use a foot of 40# mono at the fly for a bite leader and fish a total leader of about 6 feet. I use the fly line to get the bug down to the fish (a home made line using 28 feet of T-14 as a shooting head. Matched with an 8 weight rod I can comfortable fish down t that 35/40 depth (up to 50 or more in calm/low tide conditions).

Have fun
    Curt
  8. East Fork Active Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Yes, it's more about getting the fly to right depth and holding it there than it is about the fly. Really, any long bucktail will work if you get it in front of them.
  9. mrgando Member

Santiago, Chile
    Wow guys, thanks for the info, here in Chile we do have a similar fish, but not that big... it reaches the 10 lb category.

They live in like 20 - 25 feet depth, but often you can catch them in 15-20' ...

When I go to fish these guys, I usually go with my father, and they practice trolling. My idea was to buy gear that I could use when they troll their Rapalas and stuff, to try trolling my flies.

Do you guys have any ideas of what could I use ?

Here's a picture of one of them that I caught:

[IMG]

When we go for this fish, you can also usually hook up one of this:

[IMG]

Haven't seen them that big around here, but I would say in the 10 lb category it is possible.

Thanks for your help!
  10. Pez Gallo On the hunt for grandes

Trollin' in Chile

Mrgando...yellowtail like the one in the bottom photo will certainly bite a trolled fly at times. As will lots of other fish. Regarding what gear to troll flies on....the fly rod you use for casting might do just fine. However, you might want to add a swivel into your system to keep your fly line from twisting. Depending on the fly, this twist can be really bad so be aware. The downside is that the swivel could make it clumsy to cast.

Ideally it would be best to have two rods. One that is set up for trolling and another that is ready for casting. That way you can always be ready for any casting opportunities that might come up.

Buena Suerte...
  11. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    In my experience, lings prefer flies with bunny over those tied with straight synthetics or bucktail.
  12. Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Ellensburg, WA
    Thanks alot guy's. I have to head down and give these things a try! Would a heavily weighted bunny leech in chartreuse and white work? I am guessing these flies are just like most subsurface pike flies?
  13. Bugthrower Willits

Seattle
    Yea Connor, chartreuse and orange are the 2 best colors.
  14. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,497 / 9
    I can see bugthrower's reflection in that fish eye! Maybe even some clouds in the distance behind him.
  15. Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Ellensburg, WA
    iagree That's kinda cool huh!
  16. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    that fish was caught in about 60 feet of water I was using a 7 wt with a 600 grain sink tip I'd strip out most of the fly line cast into a kelp bed and wait 30 seconds to a minute then I'd slowly strip the line in. Thats how I hooked the big ling too. Those particular rock fish can be lured to the surface and caught on poppers if you reel one in really slowly, but you gotta get down for the big ones.

As for what you are imitating, things that are big white and wiggle, saltwater fish aren't to picky they eat anything the can a) see b) get most of their mouth around
  17. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    if you could cast it. I'd go with mostly synthetic for body size, you want really really big flies we're talking 6-8 inches so get it bulky with synthetics then add some rabbit/feathers/bucktail look at flies for delta stripers
  18. Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Ellensburg, WA
    One more thing, Can Lings be caught at night on Glow-In-The-Dark patterns? I would guess yes, But I might be off a little...
  19. johnnyrockfish Member

Kitsap County, WA
    Seems like fly rods are the wrong tackle for bottom fish beyond 30 feet deep. To me that's when you use a spinning rod and a jig. But hey, to each his own. Have fun.
  20. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    wouldn't suprise me.. we don't have night here sooo I don't know