Lingcod Thread

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Steve Knapp, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +263 / 3
    I stayed out there last year, and never really found a beach I wanted to fish, but there has to be be some salmon cruising across a point somewhere.

Good luck.
  2. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    Jumping in on last year's thread...

just wondering if anyone has tried out the Rio Leviathan lines for Lings? An anonymous fly shop guy suggested it to me, but as it's a tropical line, I'm a little skeptical. Anyone used these lines?
  3. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +187 / 0
    Have not tried that line but usually try to stay clear of the warm water lines for around here. They will coil up like a son of a gun. I picked up the rio coldwater striper line 550 grains of awesomeness with an intermediate running line. Works great on my 12 wt.
  4. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +871 / 0
    i would recommend using a RIO Clear intermediate running line matched with 30' of either T-14 or T-17. A system like this lets you fish lighter heads if you need to like during salmon seasons on smaller rod weights. It also allows you to quickly change from T-14 to T-17 if the current and/or wind picks up. I haven't found the need for anything heavier than T-17

The integrated lines are very nice but I like the flexibility of changing heads if I need to.
  5. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +497 / 0
    That's how I do it (intermediate running line and 30 ft shooting heads) from the jetty and it seems to work pretty well.
  6. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Sounds good. Haven't pulled the trigger, but I'm eyeing a new 10WT TFO Mangrove. Appreciate the info.
  7. PfleugerPhister Active Member

Warshington
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    Coldwater Striper or Depthfinder or Big Game. I would be skeptical of the Leviathan too, it's a warmwater line with a core designed to be limp at tropical-type temps, not cold Pacific temps.
  8. PfleugerPhister Active Member

Warshington
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    I didn't know lings lived in the mangroves!
  9. High Flyin Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    I have a 18' tiderunner and would be happy to hook up with someone if they know what they're doing. I've never fished Lings but am a pretty good learner.
  10. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +219 / 0
    I use mine for albacore in the ocean. It works fine, but that blue water is a little warmer.
  11. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I've played around with a lot of lines, the Rio Striper line is my favorite, I use a 300grain on my 7wt. I like that it's fully integrated, no hinging or casting hang-ups from loop-to-loop connections. They're shooting heads, so if you double-haul, you can get fire off 80' out in your 2nd cast. Less false casting = less tired arm = fly in water more = more fish. I use the same line for bucktailing and casting to coho/kings in the straits and pacific (from a boat).

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/saltwater/sinking/striper-26ft-sink-tip/

My .02$
  12. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    Since we're on the thread. Did anyone get out this week and if so, how did you do?
  13. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +263 / 3
    Haven't made it out yet myself, works been crazy. Looks like you had a good opening week Paul!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    yellowlab likes this.
  14. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    Fished 11/13 area today
    Windy no lings
    Caught a nice copper rockfish on gear
    That striper line casts great but with winds at 15 -20 I'm messy
    Good luck out there
  15. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +187 / 0
    I was catching lings in 70 feet of water out in the ocean last weekend with my 550 grain Rio coldwater striper line. Even with fairly windy conditions, including during a small craft advisory yesterday, its just all about boat control so you can get down to where they live.
  16. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    Lots of good info in this thread. I may have an opportunity to target lings before things close down.
    Quick question, besides saltwater Yak hair, what other synthetics have you found work well for ling patterns?
    Thanks for your input.
    SF
  17. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    SF,

Steve Farrar blend is the closest I've seen to yak hair. Flash & Slinky stays pretty bulky in the water as well.

Here are a few I've tied up...yet to fish them though. I had some red yak for sculpin patterns that I used, but the rest is SF blend or F&S.

Must get out soon!

20130517_195255.jpg 20130502_231248.jpg 20130516_081141.jpg
  18. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    Jon,
    Those look good and thanks for the material suggestions. I have some Farrar blend at home.
    SF
  19. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,288 / 4
    Those flies are awesome. I landed a ton of lings this weekend to 35 lbs out off the coast on heavy gear rods. My first time tangling with them. It was fun, especially when they would latch on to the sea bass we had already hooked. We landed many that were simply latched on to the hooked bass. Crazy aggressive fish! Someday I'd love to chase them on the fly.
  20. Seattle Gooner New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    This was my first year fishing for lings on the fly. I've been trying to find information about what to do with little luck. This is the best thread I've found and applied some of the knowledge, plus a little experimentation of my own. The fishing gods must be throwing me a bone because I've done pretty well this year and have caught 5 lings in 3 outings (boat maximum applied here folks). Perhaps it was because the steelhead gods cursed my existence in the winter. Biggest ling was 36" on the nose at 20lbs. Here's the set-up...
    • 7 weight tip flex Orvis Access (too light; finally broke today after hauling in a couple monsters; moving to 8 or 9)
    • Orvis Streamer Stripper integrated line (10' of Type V at the tip)
    • 1/4 oz weight (double ended barrels; cheating here to sink enough)
    • 5-6 feet of 20lbs floro
    • Personal super-klausers like Capt Nate's from Caddis Fly Shop (video up top)
    Technique:
    • 12'-15' of water
    • Tide moving between 2-4 knots (fishing 1 hour incoming/ outgoing and slack)
    • Throw a down current cast
    • Stack mend 4-5 times to get a good deal of line out
    • Line is 45 degrees in the water and close to the bottom
    • Long strips into the current to get the fly moving across the bottom and coming up naturally (I think that's natural)
    Not sure if it's cool to put on a weight to get it down there, but it seems like it creates something tasty for those monsters to hit. Chartreuse and black have been the, hands-down, winner. Give it at shot. Curious if you can get the same results and would love to hear feedback. Cheers!
    pic of flies below...
    Ling Flies.JPG