"LINGO"

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Grayone, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Media:
    I had a good time steelhead fishing with a couple guys much younger than myself this weekend.
    They do have their own "lingo" and I'm trying to learn it. It is hard to keep up with these youthful conversations when I'm half deaf and for the most part I know my music is different than theirs. Then I struggle with what they "really" mean with certain phrases.
    They did help me immensely with my spey casting and I was encouraged at times with my progress. At times, that is. But, keeping up with the "lingo" was like learning to spey cast. It will take time.
    Above all, they are fishermen. Only one fish was hooked and it was landed with a quick release. It was this young fellas largest steelhead on a fly ever. A 37" b-run, an awsome fish.
    Even with the "lingo" barrier, the trip came full circle with young and old. The happy fisherman's hands were still shaking a good five minutes after the fish was released. So much for "lingo", it was great to see his physical excitement. I know my hands still shake with excitement.........:D

Grayone

2. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Media:
    Nice report. Good to see the older and younger fly fishers get together. Someone can always learn from someone else! Age does not mean anything.

3. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Wheeew….thanks, Tom! I always admire your casting AND fish catching skills and you’re waaaaaaaay younger than me….:thumb:

Jc:)

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    OH yes it does.:beathead: Can you keep up with the younger set when they take off down the river bank or thru the woods. Can you scale down steep banks to fish thoses secert runs that only younger people do. And do your knees creak when you have fished all day.

Yes, age does mean something. I park as close to the water as I can so I don't have to walk too far to fish. But being that I'm in Montana the places close to the road are way under fished.

Old and getting older by the day.:beathead:

Jim

5. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    Very cool report. Good to see it from the perspective of the older guy. I fish with a guy that is older than me from here every once in a while. I totaly enjoy it! I have friends that are my age and a bit younger. All my friends have different reasons I enjoy being around them, young and old alike.

6. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Media:
    I fish with people that are all older than I. I am a younger guy, but stuck in an old body. Already have knee and back problems. A whole day on the water really hurts the next morning.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Grouch old man just does not like hanging with any young guys. Remember he was the one that insisted on the geezer gathering that limited participants to those drawing social security already. I thought retiring for the first time would break down some of those good old boy club barriers, but alas, I'm still an outcast. Not cool enough to hang with the young guns, too wet behind the ears for the elder statesmen club. I guess I'll just have to keep fishing alone. My sorry meager existence of fishing alone is better than not fishing I guess. (A long day on the water wrecks me too, but don't tell the old crowd, they would bash on me for that too).

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I'm not opposed to fishing with younger people. But since I left Washington I don't have anybody here to fish with Except Rick Matney. But hes not close to where I reside.

Hell I believe I can still out drink them except I seem to get tired early in the evenings so I have to quit to get some sleep.

So Mumbles, where do you live. Maybe I can help you find some good small water that you don't have to hike to.

Jim

9. Ed Call

Media:
    Jim, you grouchy old man, I live on the northern section of the Kitsap Peninsula tucked between the Hood Canal, and Puget Sound, actually I'm on the canal side just up from Gamble Bay. I don't mind hiking, but if you know some locations closer to home I'm eager to hear your advice. Thanks, now stop being so helpful and ruffle those hackle feathers up before us "yong guys" think you are getting soft.

10. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Hey Mumbles, you and I are in the same boat. Most of my "fishing buddies" are seldom available when i want to head out fly fishing, so I just head out alone.
    One is a commercial pilot, and he fishes on one of his days off, and sometimes calls me to head out with him, and we always float a river. Another is now a teenager, 15-going-on-16, into surfing and the girls more and more, and less into fishing. (Reminds me of me back then). Another is a hunter and gear fisher with whom I fish for salmon and rockfish, lings, & bottomfish.

Can't get any of them to go explore an OP river with me to prospect with flies. In fact, I know of nobody in my local area who wants to go. So I must head out alone. But once you get out there, you are never alone. (The big cat is stalking you:eek:).

11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    So we old guys gotta either learn the latest lingo or get an interpreter. I nominate Mumbles, as he appears to be in the limbo between those who speak the lingo, and the white-headed crew who don't "text" and still remember how to communicate in English.:rofl:

12. Ed Call

Media:
    If your nomination officially makes me a politician I DECLINE! If not, I'll try to translate whenever needed to the best of my limited ability. Jim, I love the OP and often go there over going south toward the Capitol or East across the sound. Lots of nice places that I've gear fished that need to be explored for good fly locations. If I can find a few for salmon and others for trout that suit my limited fly skills I just might have to archive that pile of gear in my garage, or at least move it to my shed outside.

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Boy, you sure are screwed as to small water being that you are in "no mans land". But if I was living over there I would take a ride down the peninsula and try to get to the head waters of Kitsap Lake and those other lakes in that area.

I lived in Bremerton and Poulsbo when I was younger. Moved away when I went into the army(1953) and I have only been back for two visits. I'd like to make it one more time but I don't think I ever will.

Jim

14. Ed Call

Media:
    I told you I like to hike. I often find myself going off to the OP, lots of water in all shapes, sizes and levels of accessibility.

15. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    You need to quit your bitching Keith, you can drink like the best of them and get no more winded then two fat Filipinos that you have been fishing with. Sorry about the ebonic pigeon that we sometimes use, but you will get the drift after a few more days on the river, or at least a few more beers.

16. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:
    Im 16, anyone can hire me for an interpruter but I charge 15$ an hour....

17. Ed Call

Media:

That is a family wage...careful or that wage may get reduced to about $5 per hour. I would recommend that you consider being an interpreter in your yellow page listing, and interprunter likely won't get as much business.

18. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Media:
    Mike............It's kinda like the thread "Tube flies are tits" then someone says "nice".......What the heck am I to think? I'll get it figured out.:beer2:

Keith

19. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I can't believe I have to explain this to you. Tits are nice, big firm tits are very nice, saggy tits are not that nice, yet still nice! Now apply that to tube flies. NICE!

20. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    That's uber baller of you Mike to make that analogy......sick bra!

Tit's are the tits......especially big ones! :D