Liquid Lace Question

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Slow73, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Slow73 New Member

Blaine, WA, US.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have noticed that many tiers recommend or report using "oil filled" liquid lace on thier flies. How do you add oil to that material and what is the purpose of that? Thanx in advance.
  2. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +243 / 1
    To add oil to liquid lace do the following.
    Take your liquid lace to a pharmacy and ask for a 27g (g stands for gauge), 1/2 inch long needle and a 10ml syringe, also purchase some baby or mineral oil.
    At home, fill the syringe with oil, insert the needle in one end of the lace and slowly inject the oil into the tube until it comes out the other end of the lace. Tie a simple overhand knot in one end of the lace and start tying the other end to your hook. To store lace that you have already filled, tie a knot or clamp both ends.
    Remember: You must use water based head cement with liquid lace.

Two of the biggest advantages are excellent translucency and stretch ability.

TC
  3. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Stick the lace in a bottle of cooking or something similar oil and suck it in, like siphoning gas. Then tie the knots in both ends. Its cheaper.

Learned that trick from a Colorado tier named Mike Tucker and then Shane Stalcup back in the 80's.
  4. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    You definitely have my curiosity peaking right now too. Not only purpose, but could you enlighten me on the type of fly? Is that used as a body wrap or legs? Very interesting stuff.
  5. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +243 / 1
    Flytire
    I like your method better. I simply qouted the instructions that came with a pack of liquid lace that I got somewhere. Simpler is better. :thumb:

TC
  6. Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Coupeville, WA, USA.

A couple of things that I'd like to point out to you Flytier. First this is NOT the same material that you saw Micheal tucker use in the 80's. It has been redesigned and made much better than the old stuff that by the way was sold under a different name. I don't doubt that you could suck oil through it (the old stuff)because it was like a straw and had just about as much stretch to it.
    The stuff that Ed smith is marketing is far superior and smaller diameter and wall thickness that can produce semented bodies that Micheal Tucker only dreamed of producing.
    As far as using "cooking oil" I've tyed over 3,000 flies with this product and still find it easy to fill using the recommended syringe and mineral oil or baby oil.
    The oil in the Liquid lace does 2 things; First it pressurizes the liquid lace preventing it from flattening out. this was a problem that was encountered with the old "Liqi-Lace" product ,Larva Lace and many other products on the market today. By pressurizing the Liquid Lace you can stretch it very small at the beginning of your tye and by releaseing the pressure as you wrap it on the hook it gets bigger and keeps it's round appearance.
    The 2nd thing I find that the oil does is create the translucent effect on my flies. I can color the under bodies with Pentone pens and create many different effects on the same pattern. The oil also gives the flies "life" in that they seem to "glow" when viewed under a magnifying lamp.
    I've done a bunch of experimenting with different products and This product is the best that I've found used exactly the way it was intended to be.
    In Closing ; I can remember syphoning gas when I was a kid and swallowing some. I think I'll stick with the $.25 Rite-Aid 27 guage Syringe to fill my Liquid Lace I'll bet that I can do it as fast too. the bottle of Baby oil I bought a year ago is still 3/4 full so I don't know how you could say that your method is cheaper either.
    The one thing that Ed Smith has done recently is introduce some new colors of His product as well as a New "Micro" Liquid Lace that is able to tye very small flies. I've been experimenting with it on my Mayfly Nymphs and I've got to tell you that they are AWESOME ! you should check out his website. PM me for the address.
    Tight Lines and happy tying!
    Randy :beer2:
  7. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Randy,

iagree

New or old, its still a piece of tubing that can have a number of things inserted into it.

Have you tried inserting tinsels, wire, thread for different effects?

"The oil in the Liquid lace does 2 things; First it pressurizes the liquid lace preventing it from flattening out. this was a problem that was encountered with the old "Liqi-Lace" product ,Larva Lace and many other products on the market today. By pressurizing the Liquid Lace you can stretch it very small at the beginning of your tye and by releaseing the pressure as you wrap it on the hook it gets bigger and keeps it's round appearance."

I have Mikes video and he does exactly the same thing when tying his stonefly. After filling his lace with whatever kind of oil, he ties a simple overhand knot in one end and squeezes the lace to put the oil in pressure and clamps off the other end with a hemostat. He then ties in the knotted end of the lace and snips off the knot. The first wraps to the eye of the hook, the lace is stretched to flatten it out, the the pressure is relased to give the lace its nice round shape as it approaches the thorax region of the fly. Cant be much different 20+ years later.

But also remember that when stretching any lace product, you must reposition the knots or clamps to maintain the pressure.

"The 2nd thing I find that the oil does is create the translucent effect on my flies. I can color the under bodies with Pentone pens and create many different effects on the same pattern. The oil also gives the flies "life" in that they seem to "glow" when viewed under a magnifying lamp.
    I've done a bunch of experimenting with different products and This product is the best that I've found used exactly the way it was intended to be.
    "

I believe Mike asserts the same thing in his video.

"In Closing ; I can remember syphoning gas when I was a kid and swallowing some. I think I'll stick with the $.25 Rite-Aid 27 guage Syringe to fill my Liquid Lace I'll bet that I can do it as fast too. the bottle of Baby oil I bought a year ago is still 3/4 full so I don't know how you could say that your method is cheaper either."

I was simply implying the method was similar to siphoning gas. Cant help it if you got a taste of some. So i guess it comes down to the cost of baby oil vs cooking oil. I'm still not paying for needles! Besides I dont like needles and I'll just end up sticking myself. :D

So whether its Larva Lace, Liqui Lace or Liquid Lace, they all do the same thing. They are all capable of having something inserted into it.

You dont seem to give Mike Tucker any credit for his tying ability or his ideas.

Its good that some else is producing a good quality lace. Mike Tucker has literally dropped off of the planet Earth and I dont know if he is tying anymore.

Tight Lines,
  8. Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Coupeville, WA, USA.
    I hope that Micheal tucker still is tying. I saw that same video that he produced and bought it. He had some really good ideas and could really tye some nice flies. I guess what I should have said was that Liqui-Lace was a product that was produced 20 years ago and is now discontinued. LIquid Lace is the product that is "THE New and Improved Version" It is far superior in Quality. 20 years of technology has gone by and things improve. I think that Ed is doing a wonderful job in trying to keep up with the demands of the flytyer to produce the best possible product available.
    I have no idea what happened to Mike Tucker though but, I'd be interested to see which direction his tying skills have gone and if he is still producing videos.