Lite thread finishing epoxy

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Paul Vermillion, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Paul Vermillion

Paul Vermillion member

Hello everybody

I just completed my first rod. I built a T.F.O. finesse 7'-9" 3wt 4pc. For my first build I'm really pleased w/ how it turned out.

The only complaint is, I used the Lite epoxy & it took forever for it to dry. The instruction book I used said to set aside 2 hours to epoxy the threads with the regular epoxy. It took over 3 hours w/ the Lite.

Has anybody experienced this or have suggestions about using lite epoxy? Any help would be great!

Thanks
    Paul V.

2. Craig Hardt

Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

Media:
    A warmer room will cure the epoxy faster. I've heard of those in a hurry placing rods on a rotating dryer inside on an enclosure that has a light bulb in there to raise the temperature (plus the cover keeps dust out).

An option for a really, really light coating that dries very quickly is PermaGloss. You end up with a look similar to using varnish on 'boo rods so very different from the 'rounded' epoxy on modern rods; not something everyone likes the look of but a near-zero cure time is nice.

3. Roger Nott

Roger Nott Member

I assume that since you’re asking about 2 hrs vs. 3 hrs your are turning this by hand, otherwise you would just put it on the motor and let it roll. If you got hardening in 3 hours you’re ok. If it never hardened you’re too cold in the room or not a good mix of hardener and resin. 3 hours is a bit of an inconvenience if turning by hand but not the end of the world. No worries. Make sure to not throw away your mixing cup or foil spread as that is you indicator to curing. Don’t touch the rod. Next coat in 8 hours or more. You're fine.

Old406Kid likes this.
  4. Roger Nott

Roger Nott Member

Those guidlines are for Flex Coat lite. Others may vary. Temps of 72 - 75 in the room for security. Avoid force air heating due to dust.

5. Paul Vermillion

Paul Vermillion member

You are right I was turning by hand. I did it inside the house at 70 deg. I like the "keep the mixing cup" idea next time I'll use that as a gauge.

6. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Like Roger said, don't be tempted to touch the rod. Spread some out on foil, stick a toothpick or your disposable brush in it
    and test that. Did I say don't touch the rod!:)

7. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Forgot to say mix it until it's clear not milky/cloudy, spread out on a nonporous surface like tinfoil, I put mine on a ceramic tile,(Helps dissipate any bubbles) and coat your wraps.
    Stick your finger in the material on the foil all you are tempted to. If you get no prints, then touch the rod.

8. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    I always place a small dab of epoxy on my wrapping jig, and use that for testing. Jest peel it off after it has cured. That way I always know it is from my current coat.

9. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    I bought a slow turning motor from PacBay I think. I apply the epoxy (LS Supreme Dura Gloss), it's thin, once applied I put it in the turner and let it go over night. The next day I give it a 2nd coat and done. I too experienced slow drying times once when my house was colder. I made the mistake of having one rod on the turner and one rod (b/c I had left over epoxy) I had to apply some epoxy to as well... bad mistake. I sat in the couch turning the rod by hand forced to stay up and watch TV while my head was bobbing as I was dozing off. Silly me. But it got done. Never again will I turn by hand. :D