literal combat fishing...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by C&CRods, Oct 7, 2013.

1. C&CRods Member

seattle
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    I'm not from Washington, but have floated rivers surrounded by hunters and rednecks for my whole life. Never have I had a shot fired from a bank in my direction, until I moved to Seattle. Last spring I was floating the snowqualmie below falls city and had 4 shots fired from a high bank in to the water between me and my buddys pontoons. Didn't have a phone with me to report, and being unfamiliar with the area I had no point of reference from the river. I thought this was so crazy to have this happen. Until yesterday. On the Yakima below cle elum, I hear shots fired ahead... but it didn't appear to be across the river so I accepted rednecks shooting on their property. Until we got right below their property, and a shot was fired from an unseenn shooter into the water about ten feet from my boat. Not good that I'm starting to not be so bothered by this. Curious though- is this commonplace in Washington, or is it just me?
  2. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,728 / 0
    I would say it is not common place at all. I have never been shot at while fishing in Washington. Crazy.
  3. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +404 / 0
    The woods are not friendly, I suppose. Discharging a firearm in an area where there are other citizens is probably not a the best idea in the book. That said, some have not read the book.

I think I would have reported it to the local sheriff or law emforcement agency. At least they might check it out. At
    best they might prevent someone from being shot, either by
    accident or design.
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,603 / 2
    In a few decades of fishing in this state, never once had that happen.
    constructeur likes this.
  5. C&CRods Member

seattle
    Agreed, should have made some sort of report when I got off the river. Being unfamiliar with these areas when it happened though left me with little info about location of suspects. Just counted my blessings to be alive at the end of the day.
  6. Darryl Pahl Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Might have been worth reporting, even if you were not familiar with the area. This type of behavior is often chronic, not random, so a general description of the location may have led to at least a knock on a door of known suspects. I live in an urban area, and calls of shots fired are taken seriously and followed-up. Even if there is no outcome, it adds information.
  7. C&CRods Member

seattle
    Once again... agreed. Hindsight is 20 20.
  8. scottr Active Member

Chasing trout and birds
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    I suspect these are people target shooting with no backstop and not realizing/considering what is beyond their target.

That being said in both cases they should have been reported. It won't be long before someone gets killed by one of these irresponsible people.
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,536 / 0
    I'd say you have a stalker. Remind me not to go fishing with you :)

Seriously, unless the rounds were fired in error, you should report your experiences to the local authorities. Perhaps you're not the only one who has been under fire.
    C&CRods likes this.
  10. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +833 / 0
    Is the Methow open yet? Could be some territorial guides trying to scare people off of "their" water...
  11. C&CRods Member

seattle
    Advice taken. Reported. As far as someone out to get me, I sure hope not. Never thought the rivers are where I would be shot at.... especially living in lake city for a couple years. Haha. Busy day on the river yesterday, it would be pretty brave to try to scare people off with other guides out fishing. Not sure if someone thought is was funny or if it was an accident, but dip shits without common sense for sure.
    Derek Young likes this.
  12. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    mount a 50 cal to your toon and fire back
  13. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +833 / 0
    "dip shits without common sense for sure."
  14. steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Sammamish WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    I have had shot raining down at Cadman's on the Sky....Retriever hunt test is pretty common on the property just south of Lewis st bridge.
    In re Yak...I had the same issue earlier this year at the section near 97/10, where the river meets the railroad levy.
    There was a group shooting on private property aiming right at the river.
    Where I was fishing was below grade but hearing bullets zinging overhead was unpleasant, for sure.
    I drove up to them just as they were shutting down and had a polite conversation about the direction they were shooting.
    The property owner heard it, too, so if it is continuing, the Sheriff needs to get involved.
  15. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,536 / 0
    I can see a market for a bullet-proof fishing vest on the horizon....
    tonemike likes this.
  16. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +755 / 2
    ...and a combat helmet too.
  17. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    I had a similar experience a couple of years ago at a lake in between Duvall and Monroe. Although the sounds of distant gunfire were heard throughout the day, I didn’t really think much of it. Having spent a lot of time in the country as a kid, this did not strike me as something to be very concerned about. Anyhow, I had just finished fishing and was stowing my gear when 3 or 4 bullets whizzed past approximately 10 feet away. From what I could tell, they had been fired from the ridge directly above. I don’t know what the shooter’s intentions were, but the shooting stopped immediately thereafter.
  18. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +699 / 2
    +1.

Hope it's just coincidence.
  19. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +174 / 0
  20. C&CRods Member

seattle
    Wow so I'm not the only one. The shots last year on the snoqualmie were so obviously intentional. Hill billy fun I geuss