little lakes

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by devon15, Mar 26, 2008.

1. devon15

devon15 New Member

hey guys im new to this forum put i have been fly fishing my hole life and im not a newbe to the sport but im in need of some help.

i like to fish the small lakes that hold alot of fish. i live on the westside of the mountains around the everett area. you guys got and sugjestions???

2. Pieter Salverda

Pieter Salverda Member

Home Page:
    Springbrook Trout Farm.

3. devon15

devon15 New Member

know how does this lake work is it open all year and like is it a beginner lake or like you know experence people like me and you fish there or is it just for the little guys

4. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    lol, dude, devon thats just a little trout farm where they let little kids use the bamboo poles with string on them

5. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

You have been fishing your whole life, how old are you? Got a floating craft? I'll try and get you pointed in the right direction.

6. klintd

klintd Member

Media:
    Small lakes that hold a lot of fish? I have always liked huge lakes with just a couple.

If you have been fishing your "hole" life seems like you should have plenty of places to fish. Seems a bit odd to ask for the "hole" enchilada on your second post. You might want to think about wading in instead of diving.

I would suggest using WDFW planting reports to find lakes in your area that contain lots of fish. After you find a couple try the Search function on this forum to find info on these lakes.

7. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    Small lakes with a lot of fish, you say? Hike up into the Olympic highcountry where small lakes abound with little brookies!
    -Ethan

8. ral

ral Rich Layendecker

go visit washingtonlakes.com and look for lakes in your area.

9. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    this guy is my fishin buddy, he's been fishin for a while but when we go im the one who figures out where we go, what flies to use, etc. so he has plenty of experience, but not as much knowledge.

hope this helps you guys answer his question

10. theworm

theworm Member

Media:
    Are you asking for small lake because you need to fish from shore or do you have float tube?

If you are into hiking.....I would recommend a gazetteer and learning by experience. If you just want to catch fish look at the plant reports at the WDFW site.

It is difficult for people to give out small lake secrets. Once the word gets out on a small lake, it doesn't take much to destroy a good thing.

11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Spot on. I usually only talk about my favorite small lakes with the other anglers who already fish them. I'll share with one or two certain others who understand about not broadcasting secrets. Most lakes I know...no big deal. But there are a couple small ones I just don't talk about, because I don't want to find someone else at my favorite spot. No, I don't want to share my best secret spots with anyone! :) That's being smart, not selfish.

12. devon15

devon15 New Member

i dident ask for your oppinoin on how old i am or anything like that ,,im not from around here thanks

13. jamesf01

jamesf01 New Member

:mad:I was wondering by the answers you have received on your post if the those folks are from some other state other the Washington like New York or are not very good sportsman Most Fisherman that I have grown up with in this state are friendly and helpful. Now that I am done with that there are lots of lakes that are stocked with fish and are full of fish for the first part of the year. ( go to the Wa. Fish and game site and will tell what is stocked and when. Also the is a few Books in the Liberty on Washington lakes that will tell you the size and what to expect to catch and when the best time to fish. Hope this helps.:confused:

14. ascender

ascender New Member

Call the fish and game people. They know lots and can help you more than most people on here probably can. Of course depends who you talk to in either case. Many small lakes can be hard to find in this area, the logging roads are confusing and you have to think hard sometimes compared to driving to the shore. Some don't really have trails to them anymore and are rarely fished. There is so many out there you just have to start going out to the ones shown on the maps.

So, fish and game people, get the map book, topozone.com, compass, be willing to waste some time. I figure you spent few days doing some searching you will find some good ones. Probably something some of us are fishing and not saying the name...

A bike will help you get around on those logging roads better in many cases.

15. Ron Olsen

Ron Olsen Member

OK guys, just shoot me for giving it up, but they just put several thousand in Lake Ballinger. Go get um devon15!:thumb:

Ronbow

16. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    But just don't eat what you catch from there. If you go to WashingtonLakes.com and read a recent posting on the lake, you will read that the lake looks to be a bit more polluted than is widely known. I hope the angler might have somehow confused Ballinger with Lake Union (the description sounded oddly similar to what I know of that industrial lake), but it's better to err on the side of caution. Catch and release can be good for more than just the fish. ;)

Another means for finding those little lakes would be what many of us here have done: Get a Gazetteer atlas for Washington State. Find those little lakes, their names, and then cross reference that info with fishing regs and WDFW planting reports. By doing that, I found my own favorite lake. A very rewarding process to engage. When you find a local lake that works, you can then use it to work out your fly fishing chops. Just remember that lowland lakes usually turn poor during summer.

Tight Lines!
    --Dave