Little more than 60 days...

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Roper, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    ...and grouse season will be upon us. Betwinkts then and now I need to spiff up my shootin' skills and that means hitting the trap/skeet range.

How's a couple of range days sound to youse that have scatterguns? I don't think the 9 round 20 inchers will make it, so let's leave them under the bed. :clown:

Kenmore is the nearest range to me, but traveling for a social day of busting clays is not out of the question. So, who's interested? A WFF range day...?

On a side note I'm contemplating a cast and blast in the Okanogan this fall. Comments? Ideas? Suggestions?

2. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    i'm down for a cast and blast. I am going to try to make it work for wenatchee steelhead and chukars but wouldnt be opposed to a day on the methow and some grouse.

3. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    I would be interested in a cast-n-blast day on the east side...I have to put a few 'days' in before my wife has our son on 10/31!

I was thinking of the Methow and the Pateros area for 10/3...quail/chukar (not sure about the later). But am also anxious for September's grouse opener!

Just let me know! Plantation has a decent trap range, but now skeet.

4. bushwacker

bushwacker Member

Roper, I'm up for both. I have to admit that I'm new to the range, but after so many missed chukars last fall, I'm sure that a day the range couldn't hurt. I can't argue with a cast and blast either. It would be great meet some of the guys at this website. I live here in Seattle
    so getting to Kenmore wouldn't be a problem.

Scott

5. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Where the hell is Kenmore?

6. martyg

martyg Active Member

Here's a thought.... There is an excellent husband / wide team of shooting instructors working out of the Renton Club. How about instead of just shooting we look into booking them for two hours? You will be likely to learn more about your shooting in those two hours than a a few years on your own.

7. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    MartyG - like your idea.

BTW - anyone have a spare chukar wing and pheasant wing...I'll trade a box of 12 ga. Hevi-shot #6 for?

8. martyg

martyg Active Member

I have a whole freezer of training birds - come by Gig Harbor - we can take the boat out and look for fish too.

Check out AA Claybusters - just Google them.

9. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    I may be in the neighborhood of Gig on the 13th...could pick up the outlaws rather than have them ride the bus back up to B-ham (I'd score some points with them at least!).

10. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    OK, I see my minimalist method of communication doesn't always work.

When I mentioned having a cast and blast, I should have said hosting a cast and blast. In the past I've had friends come up and fish local lakes and hunt for grouse. Marty and his buddy Jesse spent a few days up there last fall. There is also a put and take area in the valley that has stocked and hold over pheasant and resident quail. Obviously we don't want a brigade of hunters blasting their way into the local coverts, but there is enough varied bird hunting in the area and fish are hungry that time of year.

As for a day at the range or a few hours with the instructor Marty suggested still sounds like a good social deal with benefits in the woods later on.

Here's the link to Kenmore range... http://www.wcwinc.org/range/shotgun.htm

11. martyg

martyg Active Member

Just PM me.

12. martyg

martyg Active Member

All - this is the response from the instructors that I was speaking with about a WFF range day. Thoughts? Responses? Any interest?

"Our corporate Hunter Tune-up rate is $100 per person for a two-hour session with a guarantee of six shooters per session with two instructors. Each shooter will provide their own ammunition (factory loads only of shot sizes of 7 1/2, 8 or 9) and be responsible for the cost of their targets at the club prices of $5/25 targets.

We can accommodate a group of up to ten shooters per two-hour session. We will have time during the day for two, two-hour sessions. We will divide the group into two squads of five shooters each which will rotate between three fields for upland bird field target presentations of flushing and crossing bird presentations.

Each squad will have their certified instructor (myself or Tony). In addition to the shooting instruction we will check each shooter's gun for fit and choke load combination for increased odds of success in the field.

Currently we have the following dates available in July: Fri, 7/17 (8am to 10am & 11am to 1pm, Sat, 7/18 (8am to 10am & 3pm to 5pm), Sun, 7/19 (8am to 10am & 3pm to 5pm). We must have a minimum of six shooters per two-hour session."

13. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Marty, do they have a specific range that they use?

14. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Marty...thanks for the leg work...my only problem is time, from now August 5th my inlaws will be in town. If July doesn't work for anyone else cool, however, I understand if August is cutting it to close to 9/1!

Roper thanks for posting the website link for Kenmore...Bothell is very do-able...

PM me if you guys come up with a final answer.

Andrew

15. martyg

martyg Active Member

Typically Renton.

16. bushwacker

bushwacker Member

The 7/17 -7/19 dates work for me. If we can't get enough participants, I'm still up for meeting at the Kenmore range.

Scott

17. Islander

Islander Steve

Hey Roper, Just saw this posting. I'd be up for a little cast and blast. The date and location are pretty much open for me. Not much interested in the instruction but would still come out for some shooting and fishing. If you guys want to come to the Island, I can check on getting the trap range at my gun club to arrange a "private party".

18. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Sounds good Steve, it'll be like the spring thing, but we can hunt birds too, come on up. I'll firm up the dates here real soon.

Where's your club again, I've got a case of CRS...:hmmm:

19. Islander

Islander Steve

Holmes Harbor Rod & Gun Club, it's near Langley. About a mile down the road from Lone Lake.