Little spokane mouth at Eloika lake, good for fishing?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutcatcher6, Aug 11, 2008.

1. troutcatcher6 New Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've been wondering if eloika lake and the mouth of the little spokane river is any good for fishing? If so, what would you catch there?I went to Eloika lake on sunday with my fly rod, a spinning rod, and a baitcaster, and caught 2 fish spin fishing. please reply
  2. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    Eloika Lake, never heard of this lake or ever fished that section of river . Check this out. Look how easy it is to find information if you do a search. ;)

3. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Upper Little Spokane has brook trout a few miles south of Newport were it begins. Mostly private property but some access by walking along some abandoned railroad tracks. Good Spring Creek fishing if you know were to go. Hard to get permission from private parties.

Keith
  4. layneebusse New Member

Deer Park, WA
    Yeah, i wouldn't recommend the mouth of the Little Spokane River from Eloika Lake. My family owns it. People don't believe that you can actually own the water way. We do have the paperwork though. Lifes tough sometimes.
  5. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
  6. TroutSnouts New Member

Chewelah, WA
    In regards to the area being private property:

I read layneebusse's post, as well as the comment on your profile page. I don't see the parcel number you provided being anywhere near Eloika Lake; maybe I erred somewhere? Also, I took a look at the parcel data for both Spokane and Pend Oreille County around Eloika Lake. I've attached three images showing what I've found. It appears to me that both the north and south end of the lake are public property and would be open to fishing. On the south end one can travel quite a ways into the Little Spokane; there is a 40 foot wide section that follows things south until it eventually ends in private property. On the north end you can see most of it is wide open. Once you reach the PDO County line it's all private property though.

layneebusse: Can you clarify? Is there something I'm missing here? Perhaps you can attach the paperwork you mentioned to clear things up?
  7. scottybs Active Member

Bellingham, WA and IGH, MN
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    Hmmm... Making friends everywhere you go huh???
  8. Dustin Bise Active Member

the whole thing kinda rubs me wrong.
  9. UptheCreek Member

Spokane, WA
    I have met some real douchers that live on the Little Spokane...just sayin...
  10. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,069 / 0
    ......the most dickish first post ever.....
  11. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,265 / 0
    It's funny how anyone who even lives near the Little Spokane thinks they own the river. A few years back I was fishing a short section that I KNEW wasn't private. Some lady from across the river came out and started yelling at me that they owned the river and I was trespassing. I knew the lady's property line ended in the middle of the river and I was well back from it. She threatened to call the Sheriff and I told her go ahead. Most the homeowners are bluffing about owning the water. Like TroutSnout proved, it's easy to find out.
  12. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    Private landowners need to respect public property.

My friend and I were told we were trespassing on DNR land. "Look" we told him, "two professional Foresters we know where we are".

His reply was, "Well yes, it is DNR, but as a courtesy you should ask me."

My reply, "Ask permission to hunt my OWN land? Your nuts".

That same hunting trip four other instances of DNR land posted as private. I complained to DNR, but it is not a high priority for them or the Wildlife Department.

One weekend, I was driving on a Forest Service road and ran into a "landowner roadblock". They graciously allowed me to go behind the road closed sign to look at some property. Monday morning, I called the Ranger District and about the road block and that was the end of that.

Ran into the same thing working for BLM.

I am getting fed up with with this.....this state needs a penalty for posting public land as private.
  13. Guy Gregory Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    http://www.mrsc.org/mc/courts/WashReports/023WashReport/023WashReport0347.htm

is a link to the court decision. Lawyers I've talked to suggest this would be unlikely to be upheld if challenged today, but since lots of lawyers live on the LSR, and prefer no access by the great unwashed, it's also unlikely to be challenged.

You can access below the bridge by the hatchery. And of course lakes with access areas can be accessed, I've no idea about what boundaries there are. Most downstream ends of lakes in the LSR have a structure associated with them, I suspect that would be a good rule of thumb.

The local watershed group thinks maybe lack of public access is one reason it's still relatively unruined. There may thus be two sides to this coin.
  14. scottybs Active Member

Respect private property and on the flipside, landowners should Say a polite but firm no if they don't want people on their land unlike the Douche above!
  15. Dustin Bise Active Member

All this makes me want to do is go trespass there. If only i had more balls...
  16. scottybs Active Member

Letzdoeet!!!!
  17. TroutSnouts New Member

Chewelah, WA
    Yeah I think everyone summed it up for me; just too bad when people pull that kind of thing. Well I'll see you all where Eloika meets the Little Spokane.

:)
  18. Tarkin Member

Burger King
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I kayak the Little Spokane every year with a friend of mine who lives on the river. And every year, there's an old man named Bart that comes out and yells at us and threatens to call the sheriff because it's private. We're always extremely respectful and quiet, not there to disturb anything. So, for the hell of it, we also have an attorney friend and asked what the true legality is and if the law is in fact true. After much research, he said that while in fact the property line may actually go to the middle of the river, there's nothing that can be done about you floating on top of it as long as you don't get out along the banks or touch the bottom. It's similar to owning the air above your yard, you can't forbid planes from flying over, and they don't own the water in the river. In a nutshell, you're totally legal to float it from what I understand. I would highly recommend a float trip and paddle around the above mentioned location while staying in your boats or tubes for an extended period of time. Be respectful. Maybe they'll think twice next time they spin the law out of their own selfishness.
  19. layneebusse New Member

Deer Park, WA
    Say all you want. You get out of your boat though there your on private property because the family owns both sides of the water way which meets up to own the land under the water. You would be pissed too if guys were leaving beer bottles all over your property and throwing them in the water where kids swim and stepping on the broken glass. Also guys getting out of their boats onto the privately owned property with their dogs, their dogs then attacking our animals that have the right to be there. Douche or not, I care about my family, the kids don't deserve to have people who can't clean up after themselves causing deep cuts in the kids feet with their garbage. You would be pissed. This last summer three men got out of their boats onto our lawn, my brother asked them politely to leave in which they caused a huge fight and got my brother arrested for their trespassing. My family has never said no to a fishermen or hunter in fact being on our property when they have actually asked.
  20. layneebusse New Member

Deer Park, WA
    The Douche above is not the land owner but the daughter. Douche yes after an asshole fishermen's dog attacked my dog!