Little tricks to the trade??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

So I read another thread on a different forum and it was about little tricks that ppl have picked up throughout the years. And I figured I would ask and see what ppl on here have picked up over the years when it comes to fly fishing and tying?? Just remember what you think is common knowledge might only be common to you, so share!! Here are a couple that I have had shown to me, I can't take credit for thinking of them but can share them. One for tying and one for fishing.

1. tying: Keep the scissors in your hand while you tie. The way you do this is buy putting your pinky or ring finger in the loop with your thumb and when its time to cut use your pointer finger to guide the cut. This allows you to let the scissors rest in your palm and the rest of your hand to work the bobbin and stuff while you tie. It helps you be ready to cut when you need to with out wondering where those scissors went!!! And helps with the speed of this in general.

2.Fishing: I know a lot of ppl move from spot to spot and reel in there line when they do this meaning when the get to the next spot they have to strip the leader out until the line is through all the eyes. This will help you not have to do that any more. What you do is when you are ready to move to the next spot leave the line out, reeling to the point where you have 6in of line or so and all of your leader hanging out of the tip of the rod then you wrap the leader back around the bottom of your reel between the reel and reel seat where you attached the reel to rod. Bring the line up and leader up and put fly in the first eye that makes the line tight. Now for the trick when you get to the next spot just pull your line or leader off the back of you reel letting it hang. The fly will still be in the eye you put it into and the line and leader should be hanging from that eye to the tip of your rod now just rap the rod with your hand a couple of times should free the fly, this takes a little practices and works better sometimes then others, but should leave you ready to cast and go!!

I hope these help some ppl I know that some will know the tricks that ppl post and others won't but thats the fun part about this and lets not knock any one for sharing even if you know it but if you know something better please share those to. I have a couple more that I will share latter on if others decide to join this thread and share.

Teenage Entomologist likes this.
  2. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Put GPS locater's on your friends vehicles that really know where to fish!

3. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    tying: If you are tying more than one fly of a certain pattern, determine first how many flies and do your material prep for that many flies before starting. Have all your material laid out first. The only thing I found this doesn't work for me on is deer hair stacking. If I put stacked deer hair down it's uneven again. A piece of tape might help.

Eric Denny likes this.
  4. teedub

teedub Active Member

I used to go fishing, find a spot, suit up, string up and have at it. Now I sit, often with a pair of binocs and watch the river for a mandatory twenty minutes (most of the time a half hour) before entering the river or still water. More than fifty percent of the time, I change tactics from where I was at the start because of one or more things I observed sitting, studying and thinking about things like seams, cover and bears.

5. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Media:
    When tying, take your time, and tie to the best of your abilities. Shown a pattern of my own to a guide and he really liked it.

flybill and Eric Denny like this.
  6. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    1. If you use your forceps with your left hand, ditch the normal ones with finger loops and get the mitten clamps. SOO much easier on us lefties.
    2. Use a Amnesia or Cajun Red in 20-30 lbs as your butt section when running indicators. Easier to see what your flies are doing UNDER the indicator.
    3. If you're running a bead, tie the dropper hook with a snell knot and your hook up % will increase.
    4. Carry a black sharpie with you. It's faster and easier to make a fly dark than tying up a new batch.
    5. Pack an old section of fly line. Can be used to fix boots, tie indicator slip knots, attach nippers to your gear, and can even be used as a clothes line when camping.
    6. Crimp your barb BEFORE you tie the fly on.

I'll think of more.

Irafly and Eric Denny like this.
  7. PT

PT Physhicist

When night fishing, don't borrow your friends flashlight to put in your teeth for tying a knot. Especially if that person chews Copenhagen.

Old Man, jjaims and Eric Denny like this.
  8. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Find out where the fishing is "hot", and drive 150 miles in the other direction.

9. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    Fish with many different kinds of anglers. You will always learn something. Introduce someone to fly fishing.

flybill likes this.
  10. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Media:
    One more thing to add, always take your time when doing anything, except buying fast food.:)

11. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    Cover the close water before wading. So many times I've stood in the middle of the river, casting to the opposite bank, and seen fish rising behind me.

12. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Let a kid land your fish, teach them how to catch their own.

Beware the buddy who lends you his rod and fly without checking the hook is in fact intact.

flybill likes this.
  13. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

watch & listen, more than you speak!! many folks are so busy talking that they don't hear or see the secrets the old timers reveil

14. timlind

timlind Member

Remember your wife is always right

Olive bugger, weiliwen, dfl and 2 others like this.
  15. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Skip fishing dries & nymphs and go right to Streamers !!!!

16. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Don't chase fishing reports.. make your own! The fishing was always better yesterday...

Pinch your barb before you tie a fly, so if your hook breaks you don't waste your time and materials.

Buy materials for tying where you can go through the packs and high grade them. Buy the best ones you can afford.

Practice your casting! Golfers do it, professional athletes do it...

Never forget your cigars and scotch... or wading staff!

tyeoneon, bennysbuddy and Eric Denny like this.
  17. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Always stop for corn dogs.

18. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    While fishing for sea-run cutthroat wading the beach and want to move a 100 feet further down the beach, get out of the water!! Don't wade in one foot of water all the way down the beach kicking cobbles and stomping along in the shallow water and start fishing! Get the hell out of the water first! It will scare every cutthroat along the beach and out a 100 feet if you wade through water!

Dipnet and Eric Denny like this.
  19. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Stop drinking beer at least 3 hours prior to getting up and starting your fishing day !!!

20. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I don't have any good habits. All my habits are bad ones. Nobody needs to learn. Besides I don't have to search for fish. I know where they swim.

dfl likes this.