LL Bean Stripping Baskets

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,157 / 1
    As many of you know, the now discontinued LL Bean stripping baskets were a hell of a deal at $20.00. I was always going to buy one but never got around to it. Still kicking myself for not acting quicker. My rubbermaid basket works fine, but I always wished it was slightly larger and I like the built in cones.
    I was doing some surfing tonight to see if I could find a used one. I couldn't find any on EBay, etc, but I did find these.

http://www.dblzp.com/basket.htm

I found these at shops in Norway, Spain, Sweden, Germany and Denmark. It was a interesting online shopping experience for sure.

Basically a knock off the the LL Bean basket except for the price, $78.00 in good old US greenbacks after figuring the exchange rate. :eek: Just a bit to steep on the price I'd say. That price makes the Orvis model look like a deal at $59.00. which it isn't.

The good thing is, I have heard rumor LL Bean is developing a new stripping basket due to the demand for their discontinued baskets.

Anyone have an old LL Bean basket they are interested in selling?
  2. herl Member

the other washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I have one that I love, but have been considering the Mangrove Hip shooter I've heard such good things about. Check it out if you haven't. Cabelas (among many others) sells them. They are $50- so in between the old bean and the one you are looking at.

If I ever get around to buying one of the Mangrove ones, and I like it better than my Bean, then I may want to sell my old one..
  3. greenbucket Royalty of Renton

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    After building my stripping basket out of a shopping basket and some flashlight safety cones, I realized that a basket that is a bit more shallow would allow the line to shoot with less chance of bunching/tangling when making the presentation cast. I've got some more baskets to work the bugs out with, but can't find those cones at a price point worth the effort (I got my first set for 63 cents each...). I did come across something else that might work, though. At Cash and Carry (a local restaraunt supply/wholesale store open to the public) I saw some industrial dishwasher racks that could be cut down to size for the bottom of a basket, or they might work well on their own.

Attached is a picture of my stripping basket and a picture of a dish rack similar to what I've found. Hope this helps save some bucks...

Peace,
    Aaron
  4. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,157 / 1
    Eric,
    I've looked at the Hip Shooter on the web but not in person. I think I know someone who has one that will let me test drive it.
    If you do upgrade and decide to sell your Bean, let me know.

Aaron,
    I did something similar with my basket. It works, just not quite as well as I'd like.

Brian
  5. jonbackman Member

Mt. Vernon
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    I recently requested the Spring 2008 L.L. Bean Fishing catalog, and it has a "packable stripping basket" for $34.95. I have heard of the old model, but not seen or used one, so I don't know if this one is exactly the same, but it looks good. It says that it is 7 inches deep and folds into an included mesh-bottomed stuff sack. Even though I'm pretty happy with my homemade basket, I'd like to have this one....but it's at the bottom of my convince-my-wife-I-need-this-for-fly-fishing-list!!

Check llbean.com/fishing or 1-800-221-4221
  6. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    Looked at the folding basket, good, but no cones. If you use an Outbound, ya gotta have cones.
  7. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +38 / 0
    Aaron, how did you make it out of the grocery store with that grocery basket? :)
  8. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +533 / 0
    Ah, he borrowed it Richard! :thumb: It's ok!
  9. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Go old school; Rubbermaid tub, drill a few holes, and a bunji cord. Solid.
  10. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    word on the rubbermaid. whats the best way to add cones though? do cones really make a diff?
  11. Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Bremerton, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Actually, yes they do. The cones will keep the coils of line from sliding under/over each other and causing tangles. Moreso if you happen to be wading deep enough to have the line in your basket floating.
  12. herl Member

the other washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Another thing I've seen people use, instead of cones, is stiff zip-ties. They attach these to holes in the bottom of the basket so the tag sticks straight up and can be trimmed to length.

I've never used this option but it is supposed to work as well or better than cones which can be tricky to attach.

The deal with the LL Bean basket is (was) that it's entirely functional, contoured, snag free, etc.- for only $20. Its easily spend that much monkeying around with trying to make your own.
  13. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +38 / 0
    iagree Amen. I have several of the Rubbermaid/homemade versions, and though they work pretty well, the commercial versions are more effective. The collapsable kind are somewhat better, but not a lot better, than no stripping basket if you're storing a lot of line in the basket. Just my opinion.

I have the Orvis version on my birthday gift list. Though some folks think them expensive, it's really just equivalent to the cost of a fly line, and will last a whole lot longer. Just part of the necessary equipment saltwater fishing package.
  14. allenro Active Member

Northeast coast.
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    I used some zip ties for line tamers for my home made basket. They work OK. I had to cut them down after installing since they were too long and they left some sharp edges after cutting. I ran cut ends under a lighter to round them over.
  15. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +277 / 0
    I fish out of boat and use a 2x3 ft. plastic storage container(boat stripping basket) placed on the floor of the boat. A 2x3 ft. piece of egg crate foam mattress is put into the bottom of the container. The egg crate foam pretty well eliminates line tangles. The egg crate foam can be bought at bedding stores or Jo Ann Fabric.

Roger
  16. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +684 / 0
    On a similar vein, I've seen upside-down styrofoam egg cartons in the bottom of a home-made stripping basket. easily replacable when they get torn up. The paper ones don't work for obvious reasons...
  17. Bob Triggs STOP KILLING WILD STEELHEAD!!!!

Ratings: +529 / 0
    I use a rubbermaid dishpan and an old used bungee cord.
    Total cost was under $3.00 about 12 years ago.
    Thousands of fish ago...
  18. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 0
    I found some 2" plastic corn-on-the-cob holders at a grocery store. and glued & screwed 4 of them to the bottom of my rubbermaid basket. They seem to work better than the zip-ties, which soften up over time.

The store-bought baskets are undoubtedly better.

Tom
  19. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Wow, now thats being creative there Tom! Heh, I'm gonna start looking around the house to see what I can use for cones in my home-joby stripper basket.

Humm, wonder if my kids old bottle nipples would work?

Yeah, thats it..:rolleyes:
  20. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +435 / 0