Local Bamboo Rod Makers?

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by bitterroot, Nov 1, 2010.

1. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    You're jumping the gun Mumbles! It will be many, many years before I need an understudy...I AM the understudy! Right now I'm simply hoping I can get my plane irons sharpened without losing any digits!:rofl:

Oh,....the moustache is alive and kickin'.:thumb:
  2. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Redmond, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +71 / 0
    That is so funny and true! You will be going through all the different processes that are needed to make a bamboo rod and really want to share it with your family and friends, you'll get used to that strange look on their faces. As you try to explain how cool this result of your efforts are, their comment might be "You brought me out here to show me this?" Hint, Be sure to give them a beer before you take them out to the "shop", they'll hang around a bit longer.

Mike

PS If the plane iron cut hurt as you injured yourself it's still dull. LOL
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,329 / 9
    Mike and Bitterroot. You must realize by now that I'm patient and thrive in the presence of beer and new information.
  4. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

That's really funny Mumbles, it only took you 60 seconds to respond after I mentioned beer in the "shop"!

Mike
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Christ Mike, I'm googling your personal details right now so that I have an idea of how long it will take me to get there.
  6. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

The porch light is on.

Mike
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    On my way and I'm bringing portable flood lights for some casting practice too.
    sent from my handheld from the road
  8. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

I guess I should warn you that Kent goes to bed early, I've used his address in my profile.

Mike
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Well, if you've covered your trail that well he'll be pissed and riding shotgun on the ride over.
  10. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

I better ice down three then.

Mike
  11. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Did someone say beer in the shop?
    When I imagine in my mind what my ideal rod shop would be (and I do, in fact, spend a lot of time doing this) the image of a refrigerator in the corner always manages to be there. Unfortunately, for some of you, it is full of Bud Light! However, I also picture a bottle of bourbon within arms reach of the planing bench!:thumb:
    There will also be a wood stove, couch & plenty of comfy chairs. You are all welcome to come on over and tell lies.:beer1:

The only trick will be keeping Alex out of the bourbon! Ahhh...gotta love a Scotsman who loves bourbon!
  12. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +862 / 0
    OOOOOHHHH!! Ah'm Ruint: Hoot, mon!!!!
  13. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

It must be early, or you're speaking a language I don't get! Pirate, Jamacian... or you're a Parselmouth (snake language in honor of Harry Potter VII!)

I'm down for the beer thing Lonnie, just say the word! I'll bring something other than rice beer though and some scotch! Later this week I'm going to start putting together the boo blank I have and get it done.. I think it's a 5 or 6wt blank. :cool:
  14. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    FedEx just left my house. I'm now the proud owner of a set of bamboo planing forms! WhoooHoooo! One step closer.................

I've also spent this long weekend cleaning out my little basement garage. So far I have an 8' pickup bed loaded with crap for the dump. Where in the hell do I acquire all this crap! When I get 'er all organized I'll be close to having a small shop in which to work. Another step closer.............
  15. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +862 / 0
    Damn!! Don't I want to be able to put together a bamboo rod from scratch; but the investment in tools is too high right now. Lathe, gluing machine, planes, planing form, etc etc! Besides, my lower garages have dirt floors. But, getting pre-ferruled blanks would work! And I'll bring Bill a see-gar or two!!
  16. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +150 / 8
    First of all this is pretty cool. I enjoy wrapping my own rods, but you guys making your own is really taking it to a whole new level. I am considering trying out a boo blank which is why I on here reading threads.
    But an interesting little coincidence, is that while I live in Spokane, my uncle lives outside of Atlanta. He knows I enjoy fly fishing and wrapping rods, and so one day he sent me a link to his neighbor who also builds rods, interestingly enough his neighbor Bill Oyster. His work really is amazing! I am envious that you took a class from him! Did you live back there, or go simply to take a class from him?
    Mike
  17. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Hey Mike! I live out here and just traveled there to take the class. I considered it a long overdue vacation!
    Bill's work is extraordinary indeed.

Lonnie
  18. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +150 / 8
    Wow, that is very cool. Good for you!
  19. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Any of you rod makers in the greater Seattle area want to split a bundle of bamboo with me?
  20. Troutcreek Active Member

white Salmon, Washington
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Hello,
    This is a great string.... I am a new member and bamboo rod maker since 2007.
    So far I've built about a dozen rods and fish bamboo exclusively (except for spey rods). I prefer 2 piece 8' to 9' hollow built based on the E.C. Powell taper formulas.
    Best regards,
    Ray