Local lake report 5/2

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, May 4, 2008.

1. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +306 / 0
    I spent Friday fishing a new (to me) local lake. Hit the water at 10am, kicked over to a 100 yard long bank of cattails and found a nice weedy flat that slowly dropped off from 4-15’. Not much bug activity so I started off casting an olive bugger on a clear intermediate line. After 4-5 casts, hooked a big fish that jumped four times then screamed off to deep water and spit my bugger. Another 45 min of casting over the weeds produced nothing so I moved on to a steep bank with fallen trees along the edge. Looked like classic brown trout habitat so I worked the edges of the trees with my bugger and managed one nice 16” brown. Another 30 min of casting to the trees produced nothing.

By now it was after noon and a chironomid hatch was getting started. I had a floating line rigged on my second rod so I started off with a micro leech and black snowcone dropper at the color change, about 12’. Nothing. Moved shallower. Nothing. Still loads of midges popping. Pulled the intermediate line off and put on the type 6 full sink. Rigged up a 4’ 4x leader with a #12 Ira’s Deep Chironomid with #14 black snowcone dropper. Moved out to the area where the most bugs were popping and clipped a weight to the bottom fly. Measured the depth at about 30’. Cast out just enough line to be within inches of the bottom and waited a full minute for my rig to sink. Before I could start my retrieve, Fish On! It went like that for about an hour. I landed 8, lost 3-4 others. All rainbows 16-19”. Two showed me my backing. Then nothing. Like a freakin’ light switch. I fished another 2 hours without a bite and called it a day.
  2. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Good hunting! I really admire the angler who comes in with a plan, works it out, but keeps flexible when it comes to observing conditions and adjusting to possibilities. :thumb:

I think it's interesting how you found two good fish shallow, but ended up having to go deep to find the rest. Notably, you found the majority of your deep fish deep under a chironomid hatch. I can see how your first two fish were found shallow: Rainbow snooping for, probably, dragonfly and damselfly nymphs and maybe even scuds, while the brown was in, as you noted, typical, snaggy, brown trout water. Good reading of the water. However, you got me interested in your going deep under the chironomids to find the rest of your fish. Good move, that! :beer2:

As far as the shut-down of the fish, it's possible the chironomids moved out of the zone you were fishing or that you managed to spook Chironomid Cafeteria after a dozen 'bows were jerked from the tables. :eek: It had to have been like a high school teen slasher movie for those fishies. Maybe we should start calling you "Freddy, the Psycho Angler." :clown: