Lodge cast iron grill pan

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by IveofIone, Mar 2, 2010.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I have been eating a lot of big thick steaks lately. I deserve it, I have only put on about 1 pound during the course of winter so I'm holding steady at about 171. I have cooked them over both gas and charcoal grills-both excellent. But a few months back I bought the Lodge pan with the cast-in grill and have been very impressed. Once you get it properly seasoned cleaning it is just a breeze and I believe the steaks cooked in it over gas heat are the best of all. They are really juicy and well flavored.

We have also been doing butterflied chicken in it in the oven and the results have been equally impressive. This is not an expensive piece of cookware at under $30 but will last several lifetimes with a modicum of care. It is a square pan and seems like a perfect fit for a camp stove.

Anyone else as impressed with this item as much as I am? It will be with me on all my trips from now on.

On a related note I was in Spokane yesterday and shopped for a new propane camp stove. It was an education. It seems like several of the brands are made in the same factory in China as they are almost identical except for the name. Almost all have 2 - 10,000 btu burners and one Coleman model had 11,000 btus. A Camp Chef model had 2 - 20,000 btu burners as I recall but they wanted a whoppin' $150 for it- about 2X what the other stoves cost. I need that about as much as I need a $150 fly line!

So nothing really clicked and I came home empty handed (well, I did get a new trolling motor). In a leap of faith I ordered a Stansport Outfitter stove with 2- 25,000 btu burners. There is little information available on this stove but the Amazon price of $69 with free shipping was compelling when everyone else wanted $75-$93 plus and average of about $12 shipping. If it works and heats my oven I am money ahead. If it is a POS then I will be sorry I didn't spend the big bucks and buy the Camp Chef. But as an elderly camper with not that many camping trips left it will probably work just fine. I'll file a report after I have used it awhile.

Ive

2. wik

wik Member

cast iron rocks!!!:thumb:
    the only drawback is the weight not very backpack friendly.
    breakfast on cast iron in the woods can't be beat.my garndmothers were never wrong:ray1:

3. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Not yet, but based on this I'm going to be giving it a try. Thanks I've. I've got a single 30,000 btu Camp Chef burner that would pair up nicely with a good grill pan. Between that and all I just learned from Jerry on using a dutch oven and smoker I've got some good eats ahead of me.

Chris

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh Grasshopper, you've only begun to learn. ;)

5. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    Those do look like interesting grill pans Ive. I may have to pick up a couple of those.
    Since the Hoh Down I'm all psyched about doing some more outdoor cooking, in fact, I just put my 14" dutch oven into the oven to season it for the first time. What a monster!

Lonnie

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Dinner at Lonnie's place. Who's joining in?

7. bitterroot

Media:
    Come on over Ed!. I just putting the lid on some steaming clams. Yum!! Burgers on the grill tonight.

8. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

The grill pan continues to impress and has become a favorite in our house in just a short time. It is perfectly seasoned and despite the grid is fairly easy to clean. My procedure is to pour about a cup of boiling water in the pan as soon as the food comes out and while the pan is still real hot. The resulting steam and bubbling pretty much loosens anything that might be sticking to the pan. I scrub it a bit with a stiff bristle brush of about 2'' in diameter. Once it cools I pour off the water and rinse and scrub it a little more with the bristle brush and hot water. At this point it is clean and ready to go again. It takes longer to type about it than to do it.

I agree that food just taste better out of cast iron. I do hash browns and cornbread in a 12'' model, Susie does soufle's in a 10'' pan, chicken, burgers and steaks in the grill pan and I do cobblers in a 12'' DO. Tomorrow I will be baking No-Knead sourdough in my 5 qt DO on the gas grill. You can't melt it and there is no coating to peel off. And it's cheap. My neighbor has a $200+ Dutch oven. You can buy a pickup truck load of Lodge for that money and they cook just as well.

I bought the Stansport Outfitter 50,000 btu camp stove and I'm really pleased with it so far. It has a stainless lid, deck, burners, wind deflectors and rack. The rack material is much heavier than the Coleman stove I have. Piezo ignition is a treat and the burner valves seem fairly sensitive as they can be turned down very low for simmer. On full the 25,000 btu burners make quick work of boiling water or heating up my oven. It also has the altitude adjusting regulator and has 2 nice spring loaded latches instead of the usual flimsy single latch seen on many stoves. It is quiet and easy to use and at $69 with free shipping it seemed like a helluva deal compared to stoves with 10-12,000 btu burners that cost even more. Oh-it is big! It is 23" long and 12" deep and weighs 12 pounds and 3 ounces. It will easily accomodate 2-12"frying pans, Dutch Ovens or whatever. This is exactly what I was looking for as I was tired of squeezing everything together over 2 tiny burners. This will see heavy duty on my deck this summer as we try to avoid using the stove inside the house as much as possible.

Ive

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I should add. I do have an old Wagner "angus pan". It's like what's shown above. What I use inside. Toss a steak on, do a quick flip, then toss that pan into the oven to get it to the temp I want it. The do a great job. I need to pickup another camp chef reversible griddle/grill like above. Worked great for steaks and doing skewers.

10. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

For the best steaks:
    Cast iron is the way to go.
    --The steaks are painted on each side with "light" olive oil (light smokes less).
    --Sea or Kosher salt and desired spices are rubbed onto the steak.
    --I toss the pan in the oven @ 550 for 15 to 20 minutes to get it smoking hot then put it on a burner on high.
    --Toss the steak into the pan for 2 minutes. Don't move it even if it seems like it is burning, let it sear.
    --Flip over and do the other side for 2 minutes.
    --Put a pad of butter on the steak and put back into the oven until the steak reaches the desired temp or how you like it. Rare, med rare...etc.
    --Take out of the oven and let it "Rest" for five minutes.
    It will be good as anything from "The Met", "Daniels Broiler" etc. Damn I want one right now.

11. bitterroot

Media:
    Well Ive, I just bought two of those Lodge grill pans. They will have steaks in them tomorrow using Kim's suggested method. I'll report the results....

Lonnie

12. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

I just use a cast iron skillet the the grill pan. Not sure if it would make a difference.
    Here's a web site where I got my information of how to cook the steak using cast iron.
    http://nolafoodie.com/2010/01/cooking-steak-in-a-cast-iron-skillet/ For some reason he only paints one side of the steak with oil. I do both sides.

Be sure you have really good oven mitts or welding gloves to handle the hot skillet.
    There will be a lot of smoke but the "light" olive oil doesn't smoke as much. Open your windows.
    I'm still having trouble with the getting it to the desired state (med rare, medium, etc.) This is one guide that I have been trying:
    Open your hand (fingers all stretched, but just slightly, don't use any force)

Now bring the tip of thumb and index finger togheter, just let them touch, still no force.
    Now press the ball on your hand under thumb (on the palm) with a finger of the other hand .
    Then do the same thing with your steak, press it.

Thats a what a steak feels when its rare

Thumb and middle finger = medium rare
    Thumb and ring finger = medium
    Thumb and pinky = well done

Hope they are good for you. It sure has worked for us.
    Kim

13. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

I have one of the flat griddles. Ridged on one side, flat on the other. Good stuff.

14. bitterroot

Media:
    OK, here's my report. I did a few things differently, and a few things wrong, but it was indeed tasty.

I did not preheat the griddles in the oven first. I put them directly on my Camp Chef outdoor burners over a high flame.
    I sprayed them with canola as they were getting smoking hot.
    I slapped down three well seasoned New York steaks and seared them on both sides for about 2 min. each, then I took skillets and all into the house and popped them in a 350 F oven.
    It smoked like holy hell!!! Thought the smoke detectors were gonna go ballistic but I got the fan on high and the windows open before they did. Whew!

Next time I will...

skip putting them in the oven. When cooking at camp I won't have the luxury of an oven anyway. I will sear the steaks as I did, then remove the skillets from the heat and let the residual heat of the cast iron finish them to the desired doneness. Maybe even foil over the top if needed.
    All in all, I think these griddle pans are a good thing to have and I will get a lot of use out of them.

I should add...I made a dutch oven rice pilaf to go along with the steaks and it turned out great!