Lone 3/9

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Stonefish, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I decided to take advantage of the weather and get out on Lone today. The day started sound slow with cold fog and sluggish fish.
    Once the sun came out a nice midge hatch started popping off and the fish put on a better show fight wise.
    I ended up with a little over a dozen fish to hand. Best fly for me today was a size 14 dark red v-rib pupa with a white bead.
    I throat pumped a few fish and found small black and green chironomids, daphnia and small pale peach colored scuds. It looked like some of them may have had eggs due to the orange belly color.
    I also sucked a 3" leech out of the throat of one bow that must have just eaten it as it was still wiggling.
    A few of the fish looked like they had escaped encounters with the local eagles.
    Once the fog burned off it was about as nice a day as you can ask for in early March.
    Here are a few pics from today.
    SF
    Lakes 071.jpg Lakes 059.jpg Lakes 060.jpg Lakes 065.jpg Lakes 055.jpg

flyfishing59, Irafly, Duane J and 3 others like this.
  2. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    That is about as good of a report as a guy could hope for!

Thanks Brian! Good job extracting that leach and I swear the Scuds are getting larger and becoming an important source of protien for the Lone lake rainbows.

I will be fishing with a friend tomorrow in my under cover aluminum skiff Haha.

I saw forum member kbrooks out there fishing near you... Waiting for his report too!

3. Islander

Islander Steve

Great report and pics. The local baldies can really hammer the fish sometimes. The lake is starting to warm a bit finally. If the weather holds I might swing by tomorrow for a bit.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  4. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Great report and pics. Its certainly nice knowing what color the scuds are on any lake.

Knowing a few lakes in the region in eastern Oregon have a medium to dark gray scud, if things become slow I always have a "go to" pattern.

5. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Hmmmmmm scuds eh? Very interesting....got one under the indicator Ira? I've never seen one out of all the throat samples I've taken. Good to know, thanks for the pictures.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  6. kbrooks

kbrooks tight lines

Greetings,
    Yes, that was me out on Lone yesterday. Guess its hard to miss that yellow boat. The leach pump explains why most of my luck was on a balanced black leach pattern. Picked up a few on a number 16 chiro that matched my throat pump. Netted 9 good size trout and managed to shake off a few dinks. Good time but I wish it had been 20 degrees warmer.
    Tight Lines, kbrooks (Kirk)

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  7. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Even these great fishing reports were not enough to salvage my fishing day today! Very slow on Lone Lk today for me and others I spoke to.

Jeff

Stonefish likes this.
  8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Jeff,
    Thanks for the report. I think at this time of the year the weather plays a lot into everyones success rates. Nice weather yesterday, not so much today.
    If we could get a week of stable nice weather as Islander mentioned things should really take off.
    Unfortunately based on the extended forecast that isn't happen this week.
    Glad you got out....much better then mowing the lawn :)

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  9. Islander

Islander Steve

Yep, as the saying goes, "You should have been here yesterday". Nice to see Jeff again and meet a new Island fisherman. (I think his name was Mike?) I only lasted a couple of hours and worked hard for one 16" fish. Saw a few fin rings like they were taking bugs just subsurface but nothing consistent.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  10. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I do happen to have a jig scud, but I tie it for Rocky Ford not lakes. I may have to design something for lakes, but I imagine a small size 16 micro leech with olive and a bit of orange/peach color dubbing would do the trick nicely, I'll try it out.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  11. Gasman

Gasman New Member

Steve
    I saw your Mom and Dad at Bill's funeral. Tough day saying good bye to an old friend. Been along time since we shared any water together. Hope life is treating you well.
    Suprised me to see you on this forum. Trying to hit Lone before the end of this week. Hit Pass 2 weeks ago. Took out a first timer. Taught him to cast and rowed him into 6 successful releases.
    Not a bad first trip.
    We should get together, drink, lie about fish or actually just go fishing again.

Tight lines.

Tom H.