Lone is still FAC

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Islander, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Islander

Islander Steve

The sun was out most of yesterday so I though I would go over to Lone in the later afternoon, check the water temp and try out a couple new patterns. I got some new materials at the FF Show and a couple of hair-brained ideas for some new bugs. Good news is I had the lake to myself, the bad news is it's still Freezing Ass Cold. Water temps were 40-42 deg. even down in the 10-12 foot range. With that info I wasn't expecting much in the way of aggressive fish but did manage to bring 4 to the net and LDR'd a couple. Got some love on one of the patterns so it's back to the vise and hope for warm weather.

Jeff Dodd and Mark Kraniger like this.
  2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Islander - Can I ask how you take temps at 10 or 12 ft. I've never done this and can see how it would be a "GREAT THING"

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Thanks for the report, Steve. Glad you were able to find a few. Even on these cold Feb days its always a treat to have a lake to yourself and catch a few trout.

Duane J likes this.
  4. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Mark,
    I usually just lower my thermometer on a string or anchor rope. It's important when knowing water temps that surface temp isn't normally an important indicator. Taking a reading down where the fish live will help make better decisions on fly choice and presentation.

Duane J and Mark Kraniger like this.
  5. Islander

Islander Steve

I have an old temp gauge from my bass tournament days that has a 20' cord marked every foot and the temp probe on the end with a weight attached. It's not a digital but still pretty accurate.

6. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Yeah I was thinking my fishing buddy finder would NOT work very well after sinking to 12 feet to check temps :) sounds like a great Idea - was this thermo fishing specific! put down fast let it sit awhile then lift fast? I would think a digital would change to fast while lifting? do they sell these all ready set-up or did you just do some home rigging for your thermo? seems those tourny bass guys invent a lot of stuff for stillwaters. I already use the channel markers when I need them. I'm not to stubborn yet to learn from the bass pros - notice I wrote "YET" IT SEEMS THEY ARE THE MASTERS OF STILL WATERS AND ELECTRONICS!

7. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Was thinking of heading out to Lone, but will wait a bit and go chase sea run's on the beaches! Thanks for the report Steve!

8. Islander

Islander Steve

Bill, If you want to come over, I'll shoot you a PM when things pick up.

Mark, I haven't been able to find anything like it in a digital and no one makes the old meter style anymore. The unit with the dial doesn't get submerged. Just the probe on the cord. I usually let it settle for a bit at the depth I want and then check the reading. Not as fancy as the new ones but gives me a good picture of bottom and mid range temps, which is usually where the fish are.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  9. airedale

airedale Member

i have a minn-kota digital thermometer that goes down to 24'.....should be on their website.....works great....

Mark Kraniger likes this.