Lone lake - anyone

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by pfournier, Jan 30, 2009.

1. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

Any fish Lone lake recently? Thinking of heading up there next tuesday... 50F and light winds.

2. Fred Aldridge

Fred Aldridge Member

I was there Sunday morning. Water was 34 and air temp 38...a very chilly morning. Got 5 hits and landed 2, all on Hale Bopp leeches.

Fred

3. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

Cool. Thanks for the fishing report!

4. Islander

Islander Steve

I might hit it Wed. afternoon until dark. I have to help my buddy put in a new floor, but we should be done by then.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Dang PF, you trekking up from Tacoma? I'm looking at the map and seeing Lone as a hell of a trip from my North Kitsap location with a need to take a ferry from PT and driving a ways or taking a ferry from K to E then M to C. I call that one complicated trip...so many other areas with better access for me personally. I've heard some stellar reports about Lone, but I can't pull the trigger on such a trip. No idea how long either route would take or how much it would cost in ferry fares, but I'm thinking it sucks getting there.

Best of luck to you though, get on it and get it good.

6. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

Lone is worth it. Ferry rides are cheap in the winter. Check it out when the water temps get up to 45-50

7. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Mumbles,
    Think of it as a cheap daytrip! Kinda like heading east of the cascades! I'd think nothing of heading over to Bainbridge via Keystone ferry once the car ferry starts back up. Now that they take online reservations it's even easier as you don't have to worry about a ferry line screwing up the day.

From Keystone ferry - Lone is about a 30 minute drive - and it's a nice drive

8. Islander

Islander Steve

Mumbles, If you want to venture up to Lone let me know in advance. If I can, I will meet you there and get you dialed in.

9. Ed Call

You guys are freaking awesome...and convincing. Maybe my buddy Robast is reading along and will choose that as our destination next Friday. Despite my leadership qualities it is nice to go along somewhere with those in the know for a good familiaraizatoin run first. Thanks again all.

10. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

This Friday or the Friday next week? I might be able to meet you there. Lemme know.

11. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Mumbles,

Pass is certainly an option, especially if there are a few locals to point us in the right direction. By my figuring there is no benefit to taking the ferry from M to C, Just take the K to E and drive up toward Anacortes. Pass is pretty close to where you actually get onto the island.

Rob

12. Ed Call

PF, not this friday but next.

Rob, your call my friend. We can hit it when it warms a bit more and explore other places. You've tossed out some great ideas all of which will make a great day. We should discuss it over a beer sometime between now and then.

13. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

Mumbles let me know. That Friday might work out. I'd hit Lone only. Days are still short. Anyhow, no worries.

14. Islander

Islander Steve

It is actually a shorter drive from the Keystone Ferry to Lone than to Pass, but not by much. Neither lake is on fire right now but if the warming trend continues they should start to get good. This Friday (6th) I'll be at the fly show, next Friday I could wet a line, if the weather isn't crappy.

15. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Before you guys start driving towards Port Townsend , remember/ be aware that it's a walk-on ferry only. If you want to drive anywhere on Whidbey Island you'll have to use the Clinton Ferry or come across the bridge....

16. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

When did Port T become a foot ferry only? I remember taking my truck across there a few years back.

17. Ed Call

Randy that is a great point that I realized last night. I logged off, grabbed the map, started plotting a route and came to the realization that I'm not dragging my pontoon boat from point to point. One more obstacle to consider to make it to Lone. I hope to get there but for now I'll likely stick closer to my backyard. As it warms up though I might have to come down with some 24 hour bug or something. I've heard that is going around these days.

18. Islander

Islander Steve

Hey Randy, Thanks for the reminder. They were suppose to have that up and running in Jan. I checked the website and they are now saying mid Feb.

Mumbles, If your on the Kitsap Pen. you should hit Cady lake. The wife and I stayed at the B&B there last year and I got into some HUGE fish.

19. Ed Call

Thanks Islander, I'll have to check that out. A few of my friends have suggested Cady but I've yet to wander out that way. Despite its reputation for good fishing it is further than many other good options. When gas prices were so bad I stayed close, now that they are down a bit I can stretch my legs a bit I guess. Thanks again.

20. airedale

airedale Member

i believe feb 15 ...port townsend morfs into a car ferry again.....:thumb: