Lone Lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jerry Metcalf, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

Enumclaw, WA
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Has anyone fished Lone recently? Seems about time for things to pick up in the fall.

Jerry
  2. Sean Beauchamp Teepee Creatchin'

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +377 / 1
    id give it a go typically the island weather is much milder. as soon as my new tube arrives ill be out and about but youll probably find me at pass.

check it out and report back. tight lines :beer2:
  3. Caveman Member

N/A
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    The lake has a lot of algea in it. I have fished it for years and have never seen this type of long stringy stuff before. I trolled for an hour 1/2 and hooked into 7. Landed only three and lost three because I was letting my 2 yr old reel in the fish. Wait if month or so. Should get better.

Adam
  4. Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

Enumclaw, WA
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    I'll answer my own question.

I fished it on Tuesday and I consider it virtually unfishable. As noted, there is this stringy, green junk everywhere. It is fine, almost like fine grass clippings and quite thick. It quickly fouls any fly. I even tried hanging chironomids to keep from fouling but had no luck.

That said, there is a good chironmid hatch and fish were feeding. I agree, wait a month. We need some colder weather to kill off the growth.
  5. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the algae growth has something to do with the grass carp the Dept. put in the lake last year. When we introduced grass carp in our waters, our algae growth exploded. Part of the reason for that is the carp are selective feeders, they don't eat all the vegetation many people think they do. The carp will upset the veggie balance in stillwater and if there is a propensity for algae, it will become much worse.
    That has been our experience.
  6. Caveman Member

N/A
    You can fish it but just haveto clean the line a lot.

Adam
  7. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +108 / 0
    I fished Lone Sat 27th. It is still kind of ugly with a lot of algae. No luck with chironomids but I released one with a purple bugger and five sight casting a midge emerger. The fish are still in the water! :thumb:
  8. YangUW New Member

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Anyone been out recently? Is the algae still bad?
  9. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +163 / 6
    I have to run over and empty the line recycling tube, I'll take a look and let you know this evening.
  10. YangUW New Member

Bellevue, WA
  11. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +163 / 6
    The water looked real good from what I could see from the boat ramp. The nights have been getting cold the last couple weeks so it's most likely gone for the season.
  12. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    I fished Lone last Sunday, the bloom is pretty much gone. I released seven fish and missed a few. There were about 8 others fishing. Whose idea was it to pave the road and the parking lot? That crap drained into the lake, now they put sand on top of it. Did they originally pave it to keep the dust down? Now when the wind blows, the sand will make the dust and the oil will drain into the lake. :confused: :beathead:
  13. SeanM member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Wow - i guess I haven't been there in a few months. I didn't even realize this occured (the paving).

I wonder why that "improvement" was put into place. I can't imagine any of the locals or the fisherman complaining about parking in dirt (or mud when its rainy).
  14. Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Arlington, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Island County Parks is responsible for maintaining the park and the ramp, I’m guessing it was an attempt to make it easier and less expensive to maintain sense it gets a lot of attention now. I know the concrete bathroom was a great improvement and they’re far from cheap.
  15. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +323 / 0
    More improvement is on the way, including ramp upgrades but nothing drastic that i have read about. Maybe a kids play area, some swimming improvement and picnic areas.
  16. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    What's next....a large fishing dock with a MacDonalds and rental boats?? I liked it the way it was. A great year round place to flyfish.:beathead:
  17. Caveman Member

N/A
    well to me it doesn't matter, So with the upgrades to the paking lot and ramp, doesn't matter to me. Lone is a pretty long drive for people who live off island to do fish. I don't think it will ever get the pressure most lakes get. To me the fish are smaller than they use to be, and there is a lot thicker algea than ever before during the summer months. Ever since they messed with the ecosystem on that lake it has not ever been the same. It is sad if you ask me.

Adam
  18. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +323 / 0
    Steve,
    McDonalds is not in the picture! I agree with your concerns about runoff from the parking area, but I welcome the planned improvments as a father and a resident of Island County.
    Lone lake will not likely see heavy pressure from any one recreation group - as caveman said - the moat keeps people away and those of us that live here count on that!

Caveman - You make a good point but I am counting on the fact that the lake will benefit over the long run. Fortunatly, groups like the homeowners who live on the lake, the local Whidbey fly club and the Evergreen fly club are paying close attention and putting a lot of effort ino keeping Lone Lake healthy.
  19. YangUW New Member

Bellevue, WA
    Just thought I would report, a buddy and I went out on Monday afternoon for the last few hours of daylight. The water looked great and we caught about 15 fish total from 13 to 18 inches. We were both using a lightly weighted fly kind of like a Carey's but with some red on the head (can't remember what they are called) about 10 feet deep, although I don't think they're too picky. There you go, FWIW.
  20. Caveman Member

N/A
    The lakes road is no longer paved, it has about 2 inches of sand on it now. Fishing was good, landed 10 fish in 2 hours. Biggest was 18, had my nefew in the boat and he should have landed 5 for more but his reaction time is a little slow.

ADam