Lone lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Tony, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Media:
    Went over to lone this morning hoping that a few days of warmer weather might improve the fishing I went last week and got sent home empty handed, so arrived about 8 am the sun shining saw a few midges coming off of an ok size, a couple of rises things looked promising, got ready and got on the water after some small annoyances shake down trip number 2 there's always something. I decided to start with a small maroon leech which I slowly trolled across the lake my fish finder showing no fish and a temperature of 41 degrees more than likely colder by the bottom, got across the lake without a bump started working the shallower water casting and working my fly back, 3rd cast my fly stopped, for a moment I thought I had hung up on the bottom but wait the snag pulled back fish on!! A nice 18 incher which after a sluggish but prolonged battle it didn't jump or run but didn't give up easily either just dogged me refusing to come in I finally had my first trout of the year in the net. I fished until 1 ended up with 5 fish in the net with 2 others missed caught nothing under 15 inches all close to shore never got a bump deeper than 10' and I would guess most were caught in 5' of water, all nice looking fish fat healthy and strong dark in color but bright lots of red and all had weird red marks almost like healed scratches running vertically on them eagles perhaps who knows, all in all a very nice day the action wasn't hot but I'm not complaining I had a great time, the eagles were very active hauling branches for their nest, amazing how large in length the branches they can carry, one other thing an otter was making the rounds never saw it connect with any fish but it was actively hunting.

Starman77, Duane J, Jeff Dodd and 5 others like this.
  2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mind that otter, Tony. He looks cute but hes a mean bastard.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like things may be looking up on Lone. Love those Lone footballs.

3. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Member, KISS ARMY Since 1978

Media:
    Nice report, and glad to hear they finally came around.

4. Strawfish

Strawfish Member

So I was debating going to Lone or Pass yesterday, I chose Pass. Beautiful day, sun was out, lake was flat calm, water temp was 40 to 41, tried everything, but no fish. I'm glad you had activity Tony, I should have been there.

5. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Tony,

When I was on Pass about a week ago, there was a pair of eagles down at the far end doing the tag team thing on a diving duck of some type. They were successful with one hitting the water pretty hard for the kill. He just sat there for a while and started swimming to shore after a while, probably 35 yards or so. I was still on the corner shoal but was thinking that if only I had a great video camera with zoom, it would have been a dandy video.

He didn't even share with the other one, ate the whole thing, nothing but feathers left when I passed the log he took out on.

6. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    Thanks for the report.

7. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

I witnessed the same exact thing in December. Cool stuff.

8. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

It is isn't it. That is the second time I have seen an eagle swim using his wings like oars. Lake Whatcom in a huge windstorm was the other time. Two foot chop with the SE wind hitting Silver Beach really hard. One nailed a cormorant and had to go into the storm to those pilings coming out of the boat launch at Bloedel. He actually lost the cormorant climbing up on the dolphin grouping of old pilings. He just relaxed and watched it blow away for five minutes or so. When he had rested up enough he just landed on it and brought it back a much shorter distance and hung onto it better and didn't lose it again.

9. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I fished lone for a couple of hours this afternoon. Fish were congregated in a couple specific areas on the south end of the lake, in 12 - 14 feet of water. I landed only four fish, had a couple more bumps that did not stick.

Would have landed more I suspect but made the mistake of switching rods, and that changed my fly. No love on my blue and black balanced leach, but as soon as i switched back to the Green Meanie, fish on.

These were big fat winter fish, very good to see for March 2nd. Took a photo of the last fish of the day. Not the biggest of the day but a nice looking fish.

Enjoyed fishing with another forum member today for an hour or so. I will let him introduce himself on this thread. He is an admitted lurker, but I think he has a lot to offer the stillwater forum View attachment 39160 IMG_20140302_173927.jpg

10. Earthquake

Earthquake Ron

That was great to meet and fish with you yesterday Jeff.
    Took me a couple hours to figure out where and what to use.
    Your Green Meanie was the ticket. I had tied it as a horizontal pattern and fished under the indicator.
    15 take downs and only 2 fish to hand. I think I need blinkers to keep my eyes on the indicator!
    Throat sample of the first fish was all Daphnia.
    I wonder if they are mistaking that fly for a "cloud of Daphnia"?

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  11. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

I see Rodney that you liked Dodd's report & fish pic. There was a report of a fish that size cruising Lone Lake with a red quick release indicator with 12ft leader attached

Jeff Dodd and Steve Kokita like this.