Lone Report 10/17/13

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Gregg Lundgren, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

[​IMG]
    Calm morning on Lone Lake. 08:00 Surface temperature 56 degrees.
    [​IMG]
    First thought is "the point". There were a couple of otters playing on the dock, but they were camera shy I guess. After trolling/stripping some black and olive offerings, no takers. I went to a white bugger, and What?!
    [​IMG]
    Big ditch pickle at Lone? I guess I have never been fishing there when they were attentive.
    [​IMG]
    OK, that's more like it! You can see the lake has some color, but I didn't see any floating blue/green algae.

That bass went airborne, and I could hardly believe my eyes. Even at a distance, I was suspect as I noticed a green shimmer. I haven't caught too many bass, but he put the clamp down with his jaws as I went to remove the fly. Odd feeling, I don't think I'm up for 'noodling'.

A huge hatch came off about 10:00, and it was all about the middle of the lake. I shared it with just one other fisher until noon, then I was all by my lonesome. I struggled with the hatch. I missed a couple of takedowns with a chromie. Adding insult to injury, after one miss the fish kept mouthing the released indicator. The fish were taking in the upper two feet of water. I had a breakoff about four feet from the boat as I was about to back cast again. I did catch a couple of fish bobbercating.:confused:

The other gentleman switched to an emerger pattern that looked like a mangled grey elk hair caddis. He crushed. I tried something similar and did not. The fish then went down. He left, and I proceeded to catch four more fish with an intermediate line and a natural gold ribbed hares ear.

Out of the six rainbows, five were in the 17 inch class and one was 14 inches(but fought like a champ!).

Duane J, Starman77, Stonefish and 2 others like this.
  2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

"Nice" bass? Hard to say with the way most people think of them. I haven't landed one in the lake for a few years now. In fact not since before the herbicide wiped out the Brazilian Elodea. Nice report and it sounds like things have stayed somewhat the same as when I fished it.

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Nice report, Gregg. Sounds pretty familiar. And sweet bass! I don't care what anyone thinks of them, I'd be stoked to catch it.

Curious how deep you were fishing your chromies?

4. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

I started at 8', then 6', 4', 2', bingo. Perhaps, I could have gone even shallower. Relatively speaking, I am just getting into any sort of 'mid fishing.

On the bass... Like I said earlier, I haven't caught many, but my experience was that the fish went airborne once with weak side runs for his size. However, the rod would taco at the boat as it headed for the bottom. I was constantly rotating the boat with my fins, as the fish seemed to want the bottom directly under the boat!

5. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Great report Gregg. Nice you now fish the weekdays!

Here is a bass we pulled from the carp netting project. 18" long and he was 1 of 4 on the net set

. IMG_659221503011857.jpeg

Gregg Lundgren likes this.
  6. PeteM

PeteM Member

Gregg, nice report.

When I fished there last Saturday, I caught two bass. I was surprised. I don't normally catch bass in Lone. They were both pretty small in size.

Pete

Gregg Lundgren likes this.
  7. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Gregg & Jeff,
    You both make Roland Martin proud....Son!
    SF

8. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Jeff, when did you get your hands on my lucky hat? And how did you manage to get it so clean?

9. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

10. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Yea, this is hat #2 from Avid. My first one sounds a bit like your lucky hat. Sun faded, dirty and sweat staained.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  11. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Naw, got the thumb in the mouth part right but you need to hold them horizontal.:D

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  12. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Hey Lue, how come you didn't post any pictures of your bass?? I tried but just kept catching those darn big trout....:eek:!!