Lone Report: The 'Other' Game in Town

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Tim Lockhart, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    With ice finally gone and a whole new set of meteorological challenges this week, seems the list of choices is a pretty limited one for wetsiders. Add to that the number of FF'ers with overwhelming need to satisfy the itch by now, Blizzard '08 and all. Having seen Pass a couple days ago, I figured a visit to the other game in town was in order.

The report: Weather model had today pegged for sustained winds of 15 or so. I called bullshit and set my alarm...that stuff last night couldn't hold up into today. For once I had it right. Lone at first light was a waterskier's dream...pure glass. No wind, no rain, no nothing. Stayed that way first 3 hrs and I had the place to myself all morning. Anyhow, enough small talk. Given our now unseasonably warm weather, I had the bite picked to come on more each day throughout the week (I'm forever the hopeless optimistic). Good news is Lone seemed to behave that way. By no means did it act like November but for this time of year there were plenty of active fish. A little slow but nice and steady throughout the entire morning. Nearly all of them were the larger size. Lazy presentation again but the strikes were also lazy compared to Pass where the take was more pronounced. Fight wasn't exactly April-like but still better than mid-summer. Slow-dredging the bottom produced well, and the action was out away from shore. I know it's not a deep lake but I'd still recommend a faster sinking line in these conditions, long cast, and get it down there low & slow. For what it's worth, standard streamers (carey, leech, bugger) in dark colors (olv, blk, brn) would all work. Size 8 for me. These fish weren't moving around at all but were more than glad to take delivery. Best results came from relentless following of missed strikes. I found them tough to bury a hook in today but absolute pushovers when run over again and again. One of mine hit 3 times as I passed back and forth, then finally stuck on the 4th.

So from what I've seen, Pass & Lone should both continue putting out in these temps, likely in better numbers each day till the next change. And certainly better than the put-n-take options. Sorry, can't speak for the salt. For you metalheads it ain't winter chrome but might curb the itch until the brown paint goes away.

Hope that's helpful. Good luck out there!

Attached Files:

2. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Hope this isn't a stupid question but is the road out from I 5 OK to Pass? Didn't get any deliveries today from the fx home/ground guys out burlington so wondered if there is any flooding out that aways?

3. barbless

barbless Member

Well played. :beer2:

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    FF, you are off my friend list! Great report, glad you got out, excellent hookups. All those reasons plus me stuck inside again, not having tomorrow off like I had thought and the fact that I'll have to wait until next Friday for my likely first crack at fishing and you will not be finding a Christmas card from me in your mailbox.:beathead:

Glad you got out and had it solo though, truly jealous about that situation.:beer2:

5. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Yea, the road is fine. Your problem with deliveries is most likely due to the flooding in Whatcom County and the numerous road closures up that way.

6. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

Hey Mumbles
    I was lookin forward to your trip and report. I have to drive the wife up to Langley to return some xmas presents that didnt fit so I told (asked, lol) her I was going to go fishing. I am glad to hear its ice free. Hope the weather holds up, but looks like rain. Let me know if when you are planning to go and if I can get out of work next week.....

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    C&L, reliable sources (robast) hit it up and found a pair of 18's! Great to hear. I may be using my Friday off next week to try to replicate his results. He even posted me his patterns and techniques...because he knows that giving me all that information still won't help me enough to be a threat to him and his fish. I hope you get out and get that line stretched.

8. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Thanks for the update!!!

9. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    NICE fish & NICE report Ford Fenders.

10. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Good report FF. I was wondering what was happening at Lone. Did you get a water temp? Was anybody soaking chironomids? I'll have to make it up there now....see you on the water!

11. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    No water temp but surface was warm enough to stay in a tube 5 hr w/o getting out (toes hurt a little though). We had that hard rain the day before but area temps had spiked to over 50. No one else on the lake but last trip 3-4 wks ago (same conditions) there were maybe 10-12 guys doing buzzers. Two of them looked pretty experienced and were getting 'moderate' results. They were relocating a lot.

12. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Thanks FF,

I taught a tying class in Tacoma today, so at 12:30 I fished Doc's and released three nice rezzies! I might try to fish Lone Sunday....not sure yet.

13. Mark Yoshida

Went to Lone today from 10:30 to 1:00. Windy from the S, cold, no hits, but since wife was dropped in Langley to shop, I went out. It was still better than sitting at home. Wish I could say I got something. Next weekend might be better with the nice weather forecast. Only one other boat who said they got one hit as they went out, then nothing for the same time period. I at least got a nice lunch in Langely before heading home.

14. Islander

Islander Steve

There are some great places to eat (and drink) in Langley. The weather is suppose to clear on Monday and Tuesday. If anyone wants to fish midweek let me know.

15. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Hey Clark&Lewis,

No action? What were you using? Do you have a fish finder? I wanted to hit Lone today...couldn't make it. Still have to hook up with you on the water. (Next Sat?)

16. Mark Yoshida

I am planning on going fishing there or the dark side in Jefferson Co, since the weather is going to be good. I was using WB and leeches since I was moving to stay warm. I know you got a pram (blue??). I was pretty much letting the wind move me around so I hope the wind dies down. I was so happy the old neoprenes didnt leak, now that I can fit into them after losing some weight.

17. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

Nice report FF. I'm thinking of heading up there Sat. Any hatches to speak of? (time of day)?

18. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Planning to fish it Saturday as well with a couple fishing buds to shake off some cabin fever. Reports are good most all day, #10 micro leeches in brown or olive under an indicator. Blood worms also generally work well this time of year. The key is to fish it as close to the bottom as you can.

19. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

Cool! I've got some of those tied up. I'll be in a stillwater classic. See you there.

20. tom @ fwp

tom @ fwp TP

Was on Lone yesterday, had great luck with a bloodworm on very slow retrieve. Hit 2 larger ones with a trolled rabbit fur leach. Dockside chatter included info that muddlers in the shallows was also good.
    Action at Lone beat Pass which has been dismal for me the last month. Also, no road noise.
    Will be my midweek destination for a while.