Lone Report: The 'Other' Game in Town

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Tim Lockhart, Jan 8, 2009.

1. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

Anyone fish Lone Sat? I got sidetracked to the ER Friday so, the most fishing I can do right now is stare out the window.

2. barbless

barbless Member

I was out there Saturday morning with some other hardier souls. Based on my experience, you didn't miss much but frigid feet. The eagles sat and watched with bemused disinterest. I left before noon while it was still foggy and cold.

3. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

Barbless, what patterns were you trying? Bloodworms about 1 ft from the bottom did great for me last time. Also tied up some micro leaches. Heard they work well under an indicator to.

4. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

I fished Lone today. Nice weather, slow fishing. There were ten others on the lake, some said it was better early. I started around 12:00, fished 'til 5:00. I went 2 for 6 all on blood worms. Others were fishing buggers on the bottom slow. I wanted my indicator to go down so I stuck with chironomids.

5. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

Nice! I would have been 6 for 8 but I guess we'll never know. Looked like the weather was sure nice.

6. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

Steve, when do you find the lake to really wake up? March/April? Rough temp range?

7. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Who is this guy?:cool:

8. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Pfournier,
    We were on the water Saturday by 8:30 am. Although the bite was off to a slow start it was steady with a brown micro leech getting most of the attention. About 10:00 the blood worm action picked up. Again, with the cold water temps if your not within a foot or less from the bottom you could go fishless. I left my thermometer at home but I’m guessing the water was in the lower 40 deg range. The takes were very light it was all you could do to detect a movement even with a yarn indicator, several times the yarn would just rotate ever so slightly. At 1:30 everything seemed to shut down. All in all between the three of us there were approximately 16 to the net between 15 and 18” and as many missed or long distant released.
    Typical ideal temps for stillwater bows is approximately upper 50’s to low 60’s.

9. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

Oh Kokita... You crack me up.

DD, nice report. Dang, and I even tied up a dozen of those micro browns Friday :) Nice reports. Those are not bad numbers... although I fondly remember a 25+ fish to net last year. Can't wait to get back up there!

10. Fred Aldridge

Fred Aldridge Member

Fished Lone on Sunday morning. Water temp was 38 with air about the same. Went 6 for 8 using a olive Hale Bopp leech fished low and slow. All in all, not bad for January.

Fred